Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (2005)

by Lisa See

English (386)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (395)
Detailed. Intriguing. Absorbing. Heartbreaking. Beautiful. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jul 25, 2018 |
Great story of friendship between two women in old China. I especially liked how the story was told entirely from the perspective of Lily, until at the end the reader gets a glimpse of how Snow Flower must have viewed the same events. ( )
  Pferdina | Jul 8, 2018 |
I loved this book, but I usually love anything written by this author. I was wishing the book was longer, although I do not feel anything was left out. I love the author's way of bringing into focus all the details and descriptions of what she is talking about. I also feel that I learn a lot about Chinese culture and the whys and hows of traditions. ( )
  dawnlopez29 | Feb 21, 2018 |
Lisa See has won me over again in her novel Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Her enchanting and detailed story of the historical cultures of nineteenth-century China as told by an eighty-year-old Chinese woman, looking back as a seven-year-old girl, when she started her foot binding years (the pertinent time in a girl's life of that time that marks the beginning process of preparation of adulthood) was entrancing and endearing. In this novel, Lily recollects major events of her life where she has had to endure a long, exhausting journey of luck and misfortune, vanity and humbleness, and love and regret, all alongside her laotong, Snow Flower. A laotong is an assigned mate, or in current times may be labeled something like a "female best friend", but closer than any other relationship that exists, and bound by a contract. The love that exudes from each page as each girl, young woman, then grown adult as they both endure their own individual struggles is so heartfelt. Very well-written and as always, Lisa See's research and dedication to the historical Chinese culture was flawless and intriguing. ( )
  dazedbybooks | Nov 23, 2017 |
A beautiful book that will take you through a series of emotions. This fictional story reads like memoir and for that reason you’re not scared for the narrator when she’s put in dangerous situations but you get to feel the emotions as she is forced to deal with the mortality of others and relationships. The author does a great job of giving readers enough context to know whats going on without coming across like a textbook. The author does a fantastic job of really making you feel for the characters, even making you feel anger toward characters. I’m excited to read more by Lisa See. ( )
  Chelsea_Furman | Oct 12, 2017 |

Lisa Seeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ridder, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Song, JanetNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am what they call in our village "one who has not yet died" -- a widow, eighty years old.
No matter how scared I was of her words, I wanted to cling to those wings and fly away

Friends Snow Flower and Lily find solace in their bond as they face isolation, arranged marriages, loss, and motherhood in nineteenth-century China.

In nineteenth-century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, “old same,” in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she’s painted a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men. As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on fans, compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. Together, they endure the agony of foot-binding, and reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

In nineteenth century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, or "old same," in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The two women exchange messages written on silk fans and handkerchieves using nu shu, a unique language that women created in order to communicate in secret, sharing their experiences, but when a misunderstanding arises, their friendship threatens to tear apart.… (more)

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,811,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible