Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lisa See

Member:madeleine71
Title:Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Authors:Lisa See
Info:Random House (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, General fiction

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See (2005)

Recently added byHenbaben

English (341)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (349)
As a Chinese, I feel it is very strange, the author seems know Chinese culture, but it just little, and try to use a controversial topic to attract eyeballs. ( )
  FandiZeng | May 11, 2015 |
2005 novel by Lisa See, set in China in the 19th century. The narrator was born in 1824, the year of Emperor Daoguang's reign. The story is a woman's story and covers the practice of foot binding, the role of female's in their family of origins and in their husbands families. In addition, the story covers the practice of laotong relationship. A relationship of choice for the purpose of emotional companionship and eternal fidelity. The fidelity of laotong was stronger in many ways that marriage. Marriage was for the purpose of bearing sons for the husband's family. I enjoyed the historical coverage of women in the Asian culture and thought it was very well done. This is the second book by Lisa See for me. I also read Peony In Love which I really liked. I've read the The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble. I thought those two books were better but it may be that because I already had a firm foundation in the subject that this books didn't come across as strong. I listened to the audio version from overdrive. I thought it was well done. This was my f2f book for May. ( )
  Kristelh | May 8, 2015 |
I would probably give this 4.5 stars. Really good. This is one of those books that will stay with me forever. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
La historia de la relación entre Lirio Blanco y Flor de Nieve me fue atrapando sin que me diera cuenta, hasta el punto en el que me fue imposible dejar de leer. No me convenció nada su comienzo, pero ya en la sobrecogedora escena del vendado de pies (que he incluído en las notas) vi que Lisa See puede introducir al lector en la historia de una forma incomparable. He visto documentales sobre esta costumbre china, fotografías y relatos de mujeres que lo han sufrido, pero sólo con las palabras de Lisa See se me pusieron los pelos de punta. La autora da voz a Lirio Blanco en el más amplio sentido de la palabra, pues la sencillez y naturalidad de su lenguaje hace que nos parezca que Lirio blanco nos está hablando, a nuestro lado.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
This was very good. A bit short for the scope of the story, and for my tastes. But still very good, allowed for a great connection to Lily as a human character. Not to mention the cultural tidbits were really awesome. And foot-binding almost made me throw up. Which is, I suppose, a good sign. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |

Lisa Seeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ridder, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Song, JanetNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am what they call in our village "one who has not yet died" -- a widow, eighty years old.
No matter how scared I was of her words, I wanted to cling to those wings and fly away

Friends Snow Flower and Lily find solace in their bond as they face isolation, arranged marriages, loss, and motherhood in nineteenth-century China.

In nineteenth-century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, “old same,” in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she’s painted a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men. As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on fans, compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. Together, they endure the agony of foot-binding, and reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:54 -0400)

In nineteenth century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, or "old same," in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The two women exchange messages written on silk fans and handkerchieves using nu shu, a unique language that women created in order to communicate in secret, sharing their experiences, but when a misunderstanding arises, their friendship threatens to tear apart.… (more)

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,163,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible