Advancement Of Learning by Reginald Hill

Advancement Of Learning (original 1971; edition 1996)

by Reginald Hill

Member:gypsysmom
Title:Advancement Of Learning
Authors:Reginald Hill
Info:UK General Books (1996), Edition: New edition, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Released
Tags:England, college, murder

An Advancement of Learning by Reginald Hill (1971)

In An Advancement of Learning, by Reginald Hill, Superintendent Dalziel and Sergeant Pascoe are summoned to Holm Coultram College when a corpse is found buried underneath a statue of the former Principal of the College. When it turns out to be the corpse of that same Principal, who it had been believed had died in an avalanche in Austria some years earlier, Dalziel and Pascoe realize that they have a murder on their hands, and precious little information available to solve it.... This is the second Dalziel and Pascoe novel and, like the first, there's quite a bit of casual sexism found throughout, a fact attributable to its 1971 publication date. If one can overlook that social ill, this is a fun read with a lot of interesting and entertaining characters. We also see the relationship between the two main characters beginning to evolve, which I prefer to those series in which the characters remain unchanged from book to book. It will take some doing, but hopefully we'll be able to unearth the entire series eventually, as Hill's writing is quite enjoyable. Recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jun 21, 2015 |
When a statue is moved and the body of a woman who was supposed to have died in Austria five years before appears Dalziel and Pascoe are called to the scene. I’ve always liked books set in college or similarly cloistered settings and this one has the usual array of oddball academics. Quite excellent if you enjoy that sort of thing (which I do). ( )
  vlcraven | Jan 4, 2015 |
A blast from the past.

I'm sure that, if it weren't for the TV series of Dalziel and Pascoe, I would not have been listening to this abridged version of a crime story that was originally published in 1971.
This audio version was narrated by Warren Clarke, which was great for the voice of Dalziel, but confusing when Pascoe spoke.

I've only ever read one other Daliziel and Pascoe story, which was set in a beer swilling rugby club, where Dalziel felt at home. This time Pascoe and I were both more comfortable on a university campus, where the ex-principal's remains are found under a statue that is to be removed in the wake of modernisation. Members of staff and students are all suspects when not one, but two further murders occur.

I thought I was going to rate this higher, but the denouement was disappointing and the murderer(s) seemingly selected at random from the choices available. Possibly this lost something by being abridged, no doubt some clues had been omitted, but there seemed little evidence to allow Dalziel and Pascoe to arrive at their conclusion.

I would listen to another abridgment from this series, if one came my way, but I doubt I would be inclined to read a full length book. They are now very dated in comparison to crime novels currently available. ( )
  DubaiReader | May 19, 2014 |
I was very surprised by the flatness of this book. Both A Clubbable Woman (the first of the series) and Dialogues of the Dead (the 19th) contain much more verve and atmosphere and are much more absorbing. This one feels rushed, perhaps, and perfunctory -- like a first draft, or a television script. Even Dalziel's dialogue lacks the character it usually has. This second novel is a step backwards, not an advancement.

But perhaps I was especially struck by the difference because I read this one immediately after the far superior Dialogues of the Dead. It's a perfectly decent mystery. It's just unlikely to captivate anyone. I would recommend it to fans only. ( )
  Laura400 | May 11, 2014 |
Further adventures of Dalziel and Pascoe, and highly recommended as always. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |

Reginald Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rantanen, AulisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...to have the true testimonies of learning to be better heard, without the interruption of tacit objections, I think good to deliver it from the discredits and disgraces it hath received, all from ignorance; but ignorance severally disguised; appearing sometimes in the zeal and jealousy of divines; sometimes in the severity and arrogance of politiques; and sometimes in errors and imperfections of learned men themselves.
--Sir Francis Bacon
The Advancement of Learning
There had been a great deal of snow that December, followed by hard frost.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0586072594, Mass Market Paperback)

All is not well at Holm Coultram College. Lecturers having it away with students, witches' sabbaths on the sand dunes, a body buried under a statue in the gardens! But even with Dalziel's cynical view of what college administrators spend his taxes on, murder doesn't quite seem to fit in here. So when Dalziel and that over-educated sergeant of his, Peter Pascoe, are sent to investigate a disinterred corpse at Holm Coultram College, he hadn't reckoned on a rash of killings. While Pascoe rekindles an old flame on the staff, protesting students astutely identify Dalziel as a 'fascist pig'. The Superintendent smiles with satisfaction. If that's how they want to play it!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:19 -0400)

When Dalziel and Pascoe are sent to investigate a disinterred corpse at a college, they do not expect the rash of killings that they find there. While Pascoe rekindles an old flame, Dalziel is harassed by some protesting students.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,501,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible