The Hidden Family by Charles Stross

The Hidden Family (2005)

by Charles Stross

Series: Merchant Princes (2)

Recently added bymonkity, J9Plourde, Winnie83, Giamedin, Jon_Hansen, private library, saulegriza, Kimberlyhaze, cadolph

An interesting concept to begin with, parallel-universe traveling Medicis.

This particular book was good; although it is, like the others, a little hrad to get through if you don't know an insane amount of medieval or industrial revolution fun facts to match up with the various time periods traveled through.

All in all, good series; interesting and original concept to start with and well written to boot. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Ok, the first part of the book is the discovery of another parallel world, and the setting up of this was enjoyable... then we deteriorate into action scenes and plotting... I think I just like seeing the mechanics of world building more than the rest... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Not as gripping as the first book, but I liked the initial exploration of how money could be made exploiting patents - slightly disappointing that this got overshadowed by the wider plot. ( )
  rlangston | Aug 19, 2014 |
Still entertaining but not really rising above the first book and now I'm more concerned about Mirriam's character than ever. She was set up as a strong female lead but too much plot comes to her rather than vice versa.

The hidden family was just not set up in the most convincing way. The secretive meetings felt sketchy. Then they swoop in and... we have to wait for the next book to see how they respond to Mirriam's peace offering? Ugh!

I had a hard time with the lax security oversight when Matthias turns. You mean in a hundred years of Clan backstab-ery, power plays, and extreme-value shipping they haven't instituted proper checks and balances on their security apparatus? Not buying it.

Or that their response to current-world authorities getting wind of them wasn't fully scripted, with enough world walkers always on emergency stand-by? Not buying that one either.

Or that they would let Mirriam lead a counter-response (first to walk over)? Nope, give me a break.

I'm still having some difficulty accepting Matthias' belief that he will get away with his actions. He has to wipe out every last world-walker if he'll ever feel safe at ground level again. He's not going to gain any power so it isn't clear to me why he didn't just keep a lower profile and stay in place.

Oh well, Stross' worst is still beats most others' best. I do want to see how she gets out from under the Clan. And if there are more than three worlds (why not?). I'm on to book 3. ( )
  Penforhire | Feb 22, 2012 |
Fun read in the series. ( )
  mbg0312 | Feb 14, 2012 |
added by lquilter | editSF Site, Greg L. Johnson (Dec 31, 2005)

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
The committee meeting was entering its third hour when the king sneezed, bringing matters to a head.
"He is very conservative, my father, and insisted I learn the feminine virtues -- deportment, dancing, embroidery, and marksmanship." (part 2, "History Lesson", p.67)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765352052, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tradition of Roger Zelazny's classic Amber novels, the second volume of Charles Stross's thrill-a-minute saga of multiple worlds. Miriam, a hip tech journalist from Boston, discovered her alternate world relatives in The Family Trade, and with them an elite identity she didn't know was hers. Now, in order to avoid a slippery slope down to an unmarked grave, Miriam, known as Lady Helge to the Family, starts applying modern business practices and scientific knowledge to a trade dominated by mercantilists -- with unexpected consequences for three different timelines, including the quasi-Victorian one exploited by the hidden family. Charles Stross is one of the big new SF writers of the 21st century, and the saga of The Merchant Princes is his most ambitious work yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:50 -0400)

"The six families of the Clan rule the kingdom of Gruinmarkt from behind the scenes, a mixture of nobility and criminal conspirators whose power to walk between their world and ours makes them rich in both. Braids of family loyalty and intermarriage provide a fragile guarantee of peace, but a recently ended civil war has left the families shaken and suspicious." "Miriam, a hip tech journalist from Boston, discovered her alternate-world relatives with explosive results that shook three worlds. Now, as the prodigal Countess Helge Thorold-Hjorth, she finds herself ensnared in schemes and plots centuries in the making. She is surrounded by unlikely allies, lethal contraband, and, most dangerous of all, her family. With her modern American attitudes, she's not sure she can fit in, or if she even wants to, but to stay alive, she really has no choice.""To avoid a slippery slope down to an unmarked grave, Miriam must build a power-base of her own. She starts applying modern business practices and scientific knowledge to a trade heretofore dominated by medieval mercantilists - with unexpected consequences for three different timelines, including the quasi-Victorian one exploited by the hidden family."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,093,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible