The Sake Handbook by John Gauntner

The Sake Handbook

by John Gauntner

A well-written and informational book on sake. It goes briefly through the brewing process, different types of sake, and the different flavors. It is very easy and enjoyable to read, so especially good if you know nothing about sake. The book is short as the second half of the book focuses on particularly good sake, good pubs, and good liquor stores. They are mostly in Tokyo, Japan, but do have a few in other areas of Japan, States, and other countries. Overall, its a very good book especially if you are planning on visiting Japan. ( )
  renbedell | Feb 10, 2018 |
I wish I'd had this book with me when I went to Japan. I'm going to take it with me the next time I go to the store to buy sake, it's a treasure trove of information for a sake drinker. I'm still trying to memorise the various grades and terms, but I've got a much better idea now as to what things mean. I'm not sure how useful the 100 recommended bottles list is going to be, but at least the author makes note of which ones are hard to find outside of the prefecture in which they're made. ( )
  silentq | Mar 12, 2009 |
The depth of the saké world in Japan is overwhelming. Trying to learn about it from square one can be a bit intimidating, to say the least.

A compact guidebook to Japan's national beverage, The Sake Handbook is the perfect introduction to the history, brewing, and merits of a variety of sake. Gauntner gives readers all the information they need to become sake experts. Now revised with updated sake recommendations and pubs, this book includes a detailed explanation of the sake brewing process and profiles of over fifty Japanese izakaya (sake pubs) in Tokyo. There are also reviews of over one hundred sake brands, sake labels for easy identification and a list of specialty liquor shops throughout Japan, with addresses and phone numbers, where readers can purchase hard-to-find sake brands.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:51 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,346,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible