Talk To The Hand Unabridged Cd by Lynne…

Talk To The Hand Unabridged Cd (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lynne Truss

Title:Talk To The Hand Unabridged Cd
Authors:Lynne Truss
Info:Penguin Audio USA (2005), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y08, culture

Talk to the Hand : The Utter Bloody Rudeness of Everyday Life (or six good reasons to stay home and bolt the door) by Lynne Truss (2005)

Good idea but too much editorializing for me to get into the meat ( )
  skinglist | Nov 22, 2015 |
Lynne Truss gets herself into a bother about the things which tick her off in modern life. It's a mix of things for which I have sympathy, and things for which I do not. Ultimately, though, I agree with a number of her points, which may mean that I am getting old...

Full review here: https://bibliomaneblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/18/talk-to-the-hand-by-lynne-truss-a-review/ ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Sep 18, 2015 |
At first, despite Truss's denials, this reads like straight-forward crotchetiness. However, it gets interesting a little later, with for example p. 46, "Surely if we hold doors open, we are acting altruistically? Yet our furious, outraged, jumping-up-and-down reaction when we are not thanked would indicate that we hold doors open principally to procure the reward of a public pat on the back."

Finished. That bit did turn out to be about the most nuanced, thoughtful bit in the book.

I'm not convinced A) that Truss doesn't value etiguette over manners, despite her protestations, or B) that rudeness and the kind of respect and kindness that go with it are on the increase. I believe that as we get older we feel it more due to a cumulative effect.

Nor do I know who she believes will read and benefit from this. Anyone who does pick it up will be sympathetic already, yet feel as if they are already impeccably mannered. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Wow, I can't remember being this disappointed with a book...well, I was going to say "in a long time," but I might more accurately say "ever." In terms of disparity between my expectations and the reality, this is the most disappointing book I've ever read. I give it one star, and a glance over my reviews will demonstrate that I almost never do that.

I read, and loved, Truss's previous work, [b:Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation|8600|Eats, Shoots & Leaves The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation|Lynne Truss|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309285488s/8600.jpg|854886]. It was funny, erudite, and most importantly, it was self-righteous and self-important in exactly the right places and right amounts. That it dealt with a topic dear to my heart (the gradual erosion of literacy through shoddy grammar and punctuation) only made it more enjoyable for me.

So when I sat down to read Talk to the Hand, I expected something similar: a humorous yet fiery diatribe, rich with research and examples, only in this case railing against the decline of personal manners rather than grammar. What I got was a crotchety, unfunny whine-fest that continually tried to extrapolate bad manners into low overall moral character. She takes the flamethrower to entire armies of strawmen in this book, as I've simply never met anyone as rude as some of her examples. Her stories about eight-year old kids cussing out their parents in public sound exactly like the "what is our country coming to" chain e-mails I used to get forwarded to me by my fifty-something aunts and cousins years ago, and they ring horribly false. In addition, she lets some rather ugly biases slip with blithe references to "shaven-headed bling bling gangstas" and such.

Worst of all, this wasn't even a fun read. Unlike her last book, which was so stuffed with content that the pages flew by, this one dragged and was amazingly repetitive. Honestly, I was a little worried when I found myself fighting the temptation to skim the end of the introduction, thinking "OK, I get it, I get it, I get it..." This book felt like a 20-page magazine article stretched into a 200-page book. And Truss's decision to sanitize the word fuck into Eff (e.g. Eff this, Eff you, you Effing such-and-such) was jarring, off-putting, and made large stretches of the book just plain annoying to slog through. All in all, this was a grumpy, miserable, spittle-flecked little book, and I can't discourage you strongly enough from picking it up. Stick to the book with the pandas on the cover. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |
Listened to this on audio. Very short and entertaining. More of a comment on British society than ours, but makes you think about the value of simple kindness and courtesy. ( )
  goygirrl | May 1, 2013 |
Talk to the Hand does occasionally read like a thank-you letter extended ambitiously to the second side of the notepaper. Yet it addresses an important subject with intelligence and humour, and for that we should certainly be grateful.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Independent, Susie Boyt (Nov 4, 2005)
Other people are quite dreadful. The only possible society is oneself.

Oscar Wilde
An apology is a gesture through which an individual splits himself into to parts: the part that is guilty of the offense, and the part that dissociates itself from the delict and affirms a belief in the offended rule.

Erving Goffman
Fuck off, Norway.

Paul Gasciogne, on being asked if he had a message for the people of Norway.
If you want a short-cut to an alien culture these days, there is no quicker route than to look at a French phrase book.
The trouble with traditional good manners, as any fool knows, is judging where to draw the line.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143058037, Audio CD)

Sticklers unite! The Queen of Zero Tolerance takes on the sorry state of modern manners in the spirit of her one-million-copy-selling, number-one New York Times bestseller, Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

Unabridged CDs - 2 CDs, 3 hours

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:45 -0400)

An evaluation of the way discourteous behavior has become commonplace and even applauded in today's society is a humorous call to arms that challenges ill manners and the practices that support them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible