A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for…

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Xiaolu Guo

Member:heterotopic
Title:A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers
Authors:Xiaolu Guo
Info:Random House Uk Ltd (2008), Perfect Paperback
Tags:asian lit

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Guo Xiaolu (2007)

English (50)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (54)
This was a touching love story of a chinese girl and an english man. I loved the way it was written. It was gentle and poetic and very honest. ( )
  qofd | Jan 14, 2014 |
This book is not only about the cultural differences and about the love between a Chinese woman and an English man, it's also about gaining and losing intimacy with your loved one, coming of age, the meaning of freedom in a relationship, letting go and many more. Written in a very simple way, using English spoken by a Chinese, it is full of humor but with long traces of sadness. ( )
  dorin.budusan | Apr 10, 2013 |
My step-mother gave it to my sister for Xmas, but she had already read it, so she gave it to me. She says that she loved it though and it like changed her life, and she actually skipped class to read it. It's fun reading books that mean a lot to other people.

Twenty-three year old Z, of the unpronounceable (at least to British people) name, moves to London for a year to study English. Due to a linguistic misunderstanding, she ends up moving in with a British man in his forties, who becomes her guide through the English language, and so much more.

At first I thought I'd have a hard time getting into the book, since it's written in (intentionally)poor English, but after the first chapter it didn't bother me. It does get progressively better as Z's skills improve.

I really liked this book, the way it traced the growth and eventual death of a relationship, the connections between inner and outer life, how culture and language can influence our way of thinking and the way our lives unfold, and how love has no tense. ( )
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |

shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
This was a quirky little novel, very different, very refreshing. I found this copy in a used book store; it's an uncorrected proof, published in 2007. I quite enjoyed this story of a 23 year old Chinese girl who comes to England to study English. The format of this book is that of a notebook of vocabulary that the author keeps as she learns news words and phrases in English. Each entry is a short essay on how she comes to understand these words in the context of her new life in London. From the back: "Written in steadily improving English grammar and vocabulary, [this book] is a funny, romantic, and moving story that gives us a sparkling new lens through which we view ourselves". I found it sad and almost disturbing at times but also sweet, wise and profound.
  jessibud2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Rien dans ce livre n'est vrai à l'exception de l'amour entre elle et lui.
For the man who lost my manuscript in Copenhagen airport, and knows how a woman lost her language.
"What are you thinking?"

Language and love collide in this inventive novel of a young Chinese woman's journey to the West and her attempts to understand the language, and the man, she adores.Zhuang – or “Z,” to tongue-tied foreigners – has come to London to study English, but finds herself adrift, trapped in a cycle of cultural gaffes and grammatical mishaps. Then she meets an Englishman who changes everything, leading her into a world of self-discovery. She soon realizes that, in the West, “love” does not always mean the same as in China, and that you can learn all the words in the English language and still not understand your lover. And as the novel progresses with steadily improving grammar and vocabulary, Z's evolving voice makes her quest for comprehension all the more poignant. With sparkling wit, Xiaolu Guo has created an utterly original novel about identity and the cultural divide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

Written in a series of short chapters, with each one becoming the definition of a word, a novel about a young Chinese woman caught in the cultural confusion of England explores the endless possibilities for misunderstanding between East and West.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible