More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer

More Than We Can Tell (edition 2018)

by Brigid Kemmerer (Author)

When Rev Fletcher and Emma Blue meet, they both long to share secrets, his of being abused by his birth father, hers of her parents' failing marriage and an online troll who truly frightens her.
Member:Chazzarang
Title:More Than We Can Tell
Authors:Brigid Kemmerer (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Children's Books (2018), Edition: 01, 416 pages

More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer

I really liked this. I loved Rev. I liked Emma. It was fun, and heartbreaking, and everything in between. I just had a few issues.

SHORT LIST OF THOUGHTS

- I love Rev! Rev is a sweet, broken, cinnamon roll of a character! And I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! And his DEVELOPMENT! And I LOVE HIM! And I HATE HIS DAD SO MUCH!

- Emma was a good enough character, if unremarkable.

- THE DECLAN AND JULIET MOMENTS! Perfection! They were probably my favourite parts of the book tbh. SO PERFECT AND WONDERFUL!

- The romance was SO GOOD! I shipped it so much!

- Okay, but... the book sort of vilified internet friendships, which irritated me so much. Like, Juliet was an idiot, for sure. She should not have done what she did... Getting in a car with someone you barely know, and have only met over the internet, without telling anyone where you're going? That's just dumb. Like, she barely knew him! And he was clearly a creep. ...but internet friendships aren't bad, and... also she just wouldn't be that dumb. And I would have liked an internet friendship that DIDN'T end poorly. That would have been nice.

- Also the ending was... overly climactic? It took an unnecessary turn in my opinion. It was a relationship based contemporary, and then it was like, never mind, let's take a really action packed turn, and do this! And why? It was so unnecessary, and I think it took away from the book, not added to it.

Still though, I loved this! The characters were great, the romance was great, and I really enjoyed the plot for the most part.

***Initial reaction, July 20, 2018***

Not as good as Letters to the Lost, but still pretty great! RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
It took me quite a bit to get into this because I just couldn't believe the way the characters were acting - someone literally asks you whether there's a problem (and what it is) and obviously genuinely cares but you still don't talk? Can't relate.

Emma annoyed me quite a bit. The way she always suspected the worst of everyone - especially her mother - was infuriating! At least she seemed to have learned something by the end of the book. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Sad story but unfortunately very realistic. The ending was a happy one even though realistically that's not how it always happens. Very compelling read. I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day. ( )
  Headinherbooks_27 | Jun 18, 2019 |
This was so disappointing. I went into expecting such an amazing story following Rev and his journey. It was not anything like I was hoping it would be.

I do not feel Emma brought anything to the story. She was so unlikable, and I just did not care for any of the parts in which she was involved. Yes, her story covered some important topics but that was taken away with how bratty she was. I could have done without her throughout the whole story.

I was also expecting so much more out of Rev and his story with his father. I was expecting to have this story tear my heart into pieces, but was instead just left unsatisfied.

Overall, I just did not like this one. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Oct 26, 2018 |
Having thoroughly enjoyed "Letters to the Lost" and Rev's character in it, I was excited to learn that Brigid Kemmerer had decided to give him his own novel. Thus, it was with eager anticipation that I started this one, but "More Than We Can Tell" didn't have the same emotional appeal that Letters to the Lost had. It was lovely having Declan play such a big role again, and he was just as kind as supportive as he was in the first book. However, this sequel just had too much going on.

I felt so sorry for Rev as his horrific backstory was revealed, but I struggled with how the issue with his father was finally resolved. It fell flat and I thought it was totally anti-climatic considering the abuse Rev's father threw at him when he was a little boy. However, Rev's adoptive parents were lovely and even Matthew had grown on me by the end. I wouldn't be surprised if he has his own novel, as well, in the future.

Emma annoyed me from the start. I loved that she was a gifted coded who created her own computer game, and I liked how the author shone a light on the struggles females have in male dominated industries, enduring harassment, sexual innuendos, vile comments and unfair treatment. However, as a character, I didn't like her. She was always angry and lashed out at everyone then went on self-pity binges where I wanted to slap her. I also hated how she belitted her best friend's YouTube makeup channel and the stupid decision to climb into a stranger's car just had me shaking my head.

While I loved the relationship that developed between Dec and Juliet in "Letters to the Lost", I never felt the same way about Rev and Emma. Their dialogue always felt forced, especially all the questions and answers, and I never felt an emotional connection between them. In fact, I preferred Dec and Rev's relationship - it felt real and genuine. Overall, a very disappointing read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Apr 20, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,804,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible