The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to…

The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive… (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Dale Bredesen (Author)

Everyone knows someone who has survived cancer, but no one knows anyone who has survived Alzheimer's Disease. Dale Bredesen, MD, offers hope to anyone looking to prevent and even reverse Alzheimer's Disease and cognitive decline. Arguing that AD is not one condition, as it is currently treated, but three, Bredesen outlines 36 metabolic factors (micronutrients, hormone levels, sleep) that can trigger "downsizing" in the brain. He then shows us how to rebalance these factors using lifestyle modifications like taking B12, eliminating gluten, or improving oral hygiene.… (more)
Member:lj_library
Title:The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline
Authors:Dale Bredesen (Author)
Info:Avery (2017), Edition: 1, 320 pages

The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline by Dale Bredesen (2017)

I learned the importance of:
Exercise
Nutrition
Supplements
Blood tests to find out key values such as b12 levels
Brain training
Sleep
Coping techniques to deal with stress such as meditation, deep breathing and music ( )
  yadt | Jan 7, 2019 |
You may remember (and if you do, you may not need this book!) that on the evening news and health news circuit a few years ago, neurologist Dr. Dale Bredesen made startling news about a pilot study he had conducted with ten advanced Alzheimer’s patients. He claimed unprecedented success, with improvements in all ten patients. (See Bredesen, D. E., Amos, E. C., Canick, J., Ackerley, M., Raji, C., Fiala, M., & Ahdidan, J. (2016). Reversal of cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease. Aging (Albany NY), 8(6), 1250–1258. http://doi.org/10.18632/aging.100981). Of course, this article raised many eyebrows, with debunkers at the ready. Dr. Bredesen is no research lightweight. A search of PubMed shows him authoring scores of peer-reviewed research articles. On the “People’s Pharmacy,” he promised a follow-up book, and we now have it. Dr. Bredesen’s approach rejects the conventional research strategy to date. For example, he regards the signature amyloid plaques as a defense mechanism for the brain, rather than a principal cause of Alzheimer’s disease. Drugs designed to reduce this plaque as a sole strategy are doomed to failure. You can’t argue with one of his points; there is no standard therapy for Alzheimer’s that has made much of a difference. My Dad was on Aricept, for example, and I think the side effects far outweighed any delayed onset of additional symptoms- the therapeutic goal for Aricept, not cure.

Dr. Bredesen regarded this initial study as pilot, but the NIH rejected his application for a large clinical trial. He reports that his novel approach of individually evaluating each patient and prescribing a custom, multimodal therapy based on blood chemistry, genetic testing, and brain scans was outside the scope of NIH funding. It probably didn’t help that much of Dr. Bredesen’s approach called for lifestyle changes in diet, exercise, and meditation as well as an herbal supplement regimen. Does this sound like a recipe for rejection by traditional Western Medicine or what? Nevertheless, the book reports that hundreds of patients have now been successfully treated.

Whether you view the book as a skeptic or someone trying to desperately deal with their senior moments or both, this is a really interesting book. Even as someone with a reasonable science background, I occasionally found the book is a little difficult to digest, but mostly it is very accessible, and I highly recommend it. ( )
  cohenja | Dec 17, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to my wife, Dr. Aida Lasheen Bredesen - a superb aid caring physician who introduced me to the world of function aid integrative medicine, aid who has taught me more than anyone about this critical field - and to our two beloved daughters, Tara aid Tess.
It is impossible to escape the drumbeat of grim news about Alzheimer's disease; that it is incurable and largely untreatable, that there is no reliable way to prevent it, aid that the disease has for decades beaten the world's best neuroscientists.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible