The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye

The Far Pavilions (1978)

by M. M. Kaye

Series: The Far Pavilions (Omnibus)

Recently added byjustmeemily, Erina39, private library, coffeymuse, jpnygard, LauraLLD, puckers, lluiselorduy
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: I think that Ash in Far Pavillions was based partly on Kim. Both books deal with the ambivalence between cultures of those who were brought up in a different culture to the one they belonged to by birth and later education. Both are also great adventure stories that take place during the British Raj in India. The big difference being that Kim only deals with childhood, but Ash has to go on to life as an adult.… (more)
    The Siege of Krishnapur by J. G. Farrell (mcenroeucsb)
    Raj by Gita Mehta (mcenroeucsb)
    Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (mcenroeucsb)

English (50)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
One of my all-time favorites ( )
  KimDeg | Apr 3, 2018 |
I read this book decades ago. All I can remember is that I wanted to jump inside and live there, because I loved the characters and the story just that much! ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
I though this book was great. I felt that I was in India during the time that the country was under English rule. Not only does she take you to India, but also Kashmir and Afghanistan. The author just did a wonderful job with this, book. Characters and places we fantastic. If you haven't read it yet you should. ( )
  lemonpop | Nov 22, 2017 |
In the second half of the 19th century, when the British Empire took over control of India, Ashton is born to English parents. Soon orphaned, he lives with his Hindu foster mother in the shadow of the Himalaya until her death, believing he is her natural son. At her death, he learns the truth. Contact with the local British military leads to his being sent back to England for schooling, but then he returns to join the regiment.
The rest of the novel describes Ashton's continual failure to fit into society. He is not wholly British, he thinks differently and empathizes with the native Indian people, but he is not accepted as Indian, either. During this time hostilities increase between the British and neighboring Afghanistan, and Ashton is required to live embedded in Kabul, spying for the British until the situation stabilizes. ( )
  Pferdina | Aug 20, 2017 |
This is truly an epic story that will transport you to India and Afghanistan. The characters and description of the country was so in depth I felt like I learned so much about this part of the world that I hadn't known. This was such an emotional story some scenes so explicit it was difficult to listen and not weep. Oddly, it brings to mind that things are not so different for the Afghan people today. I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend. ( )
  booklovers2 | Jul 21, 2017 |

M. M. Kayeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adam, VikasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loon, Parma vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We are the Pilgrims, Master: We shall go

Always a little further. It may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or that glimmering sea,
White on a throne, or guarded in a cave
There lives a prophet who can understand
Why men are born . . .

James Elroy Flecker
T'is not too late to seek a newer world.
Tennyson
To all those Officers and Men
of different races and creeds who,
since 1846, have served with such pride and devotion
in
THE CORPS OF GUIDES
among them
Lieutenant Walter Hamilton V.C.,
my husband Major General Goff Hamilton CD, CBE, DSO,
and his father Colonel Bill Hamilton OBE, DL, JP.
Ashton Hilary Akbar Pelham-Martyn was born in a camp near the crest of a pass in the Himalayas, and subsequently christened in a patent canvas bucket.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031215125X, Paperback)

When The Far Pavilions was first published nineteen years ago, it moved the critic Edmund Fuller to write this: "Were Miss Kaye to produce no other book, The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gond With the Wind."

From its beginning in the foothills of the towering Himalayas, M.M. Kaye's masterwork is a vast, rich and vibrant tapestry of love and war that ranks with the greatest panoramic sagas of modern fiction.

The Far Pavilions is itself a Himalayan achievement, a book we hate to see come to an end. it is a passionate, triumphant story that excites us, fills us with joy, move us to tears, satisfies us deeply, and helps us remember just what it is we want most from a novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

The story of an Englishman brought up as an Hindu and his passionate , but dangerous love for Juli, an indian princess.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,820,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible