The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye

The Far Pavilions (1978)

by M. M. Kaye

Staying On by Paul Scott (BayanX)
    BayanX: India at the end for Englishmen - quite poignant, actually, what. "Don't leave me Tusker".
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: I think that Ash in Far Pavillions was based partly on Kim. Both books deal with the ambivalence between cultures of those who were brought up in a different culture to the one they belonged to by birth and later education. Both are also great adventure stories that take place during the British Raj in India. The big difference being that Kim only deals with childhood, but Ash has to go on to life as an adult.… (more)
    The Siege of Krishnapur by J. G. Farrell (mcenroeucsb)
    Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (mcenroeucsb)
    Raj by Gita Mehta (mcenroeucsb)

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
This was not a page-turner. I could read it for 4 to 5 pages at a time, then got bored. There were characters that appeared, left for a while, and then came back. A few characters died off. Some were present the whole time. I felt a sense of loss when I neared the end, thinking, "I will miss these people." I don't understand why the author did not write about the couple years Ash spent looking for guns between books 2 and 3, and why the author locked Ash in a room during the battle at the end. She missed out on page-turning opportunities. ( )
  mainrun | Aug 5, 2014 |
Lovely, lyrical, entrancing poem of a book. I haven't read it for many years but it lives on vividly in my memory. It works as a historical epic, a tale of love conquering all, an adventure story.. I would rather see young people read something like this than Harry Potter for example, for a book like this will engender a love of reading that lasts a lifetime, as it did for me. Just a superb piece of writing. ( )
  drmaf | Nov 5, 2013 |
This is a big novel, part romantic fantasy and part a gritty history of invasion and war. It has to be big, to combine the two. Historically, it’s fascinating and very real. Romantically, it’s pleasurable and escapist, with dashing heroes and rescued princesses. It never gets overly sentimental, and the writing is both precise and dynamic. The close description of a suttee chilled me to the bone.

What holds the history and the fantasy together is a detailed understanding of India and Afghanistan, and of Britain’s relationships with these two countries in the late 19th century. The relationships between many religions, practiced by people living at close quarters with each other, is an ongoing theme of this novel. It’s really about the intersections between cultures. The geography of this novel is amazing too, beautifully and lovingly described.
  astrologerjenny | Apr 24, 2013 |
I recall enjoying this book, but probably wouldn't have included it in a "must-read" list, and I think that's because I'm an American. In Britain, the long history they have with India is still an important part of daily life as well as many people's family history, so this book might be seen as a parallel to, say, [b:Gone with the Wind|18405|Gone With The Wind|Margaret Mitchell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166913011s/18405.jpg|3358283]. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'd never even heard of this book till recently, but it is an instant favorite.
You will not believe how many THINGS happen in this book. It's almost 1000 pages and breathlessly exciting on every one. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |

M. M. Kayeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adam, VikasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loon, Parma vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We are the Pilgrims, Master: We shall go

Always a little further. It may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or that glimmering sea,
White on a throne, or guarded in a cave
There lives a prophet who can understand
Why men are born . . .

James Elroy Flecker
T'is not too late to seek a newer world.
Tennyson
To all those Officers and Men
of different races and creeds who,
since 1846, have served with such pride and devotion
in
THE CORPS OF GUIDES
among them
Lieutenant Walter Hamilton V.C.,
my husband Major General Goff Hamilton CD, CBE, DSO,
and his father Colonel Bill Hamilton OBE, DL, JP.
Ashton Hilary Akbar Pelham-Martyn was born in a camp near the crest of a pass in the Himalayas, and subsequently christened in a patent canvas bucket.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031215125X, Paperback)

When The Far Pavilions was first published nineteen years ago, it moved the critic Edmund Fuller to write this: "Were Miss Kaye to produce no other book, The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gond With the Wind."

From its beginning in the foothills of the towering Himalayas, M.M. Kaye's masterwork is a vast, rich and vibrant tapestry of love and war that ranks with the greatest panoramic sagas of modern fiction.

The Far Pavilions is itself a Himalayan achievement, a book we hate to see come to an end. it is a passionate, triumphant story that excites us, fills us with joy, move us to tears, satisfies us deeply, and helps us remember just what it is we want most from a novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:47 -0400)

The story of an Englishman brought up as an Hindu and his passionate , but dangerous love for Juli, an indian princess.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible