The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander…

The Full Cupboard of Life (2003)

by Alexander McCall Smith

loved the learning aspect ~ all descriptively included as part of the day to day and character development ~ lovely! ( )
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
When we return to Mma Ramotswe we learn she is still engaged to Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni. They have yet to set a wedding date. There is no doubt Mma Ramotswe is patient lady! Although, in this 5th installment she is losing faith and dares to ask Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni the dreaded "when" question. It is even starting to weigh on Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni as he dreams about a wedding date.
The one noticeable difference about The Full Cupboard of Life is that, unlike previous books in the series, the plot is not as seamless as the others. Instead of picking up where the reader left off Smith takes the time to bring the reader back to the very beginning of the series, explaining who Mma Ramotswe is and how she came to have the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency in Botswana. He also takes the time to reintroduce us to Mma Ramotswe's beloved daddy and other early relationships. There is less emphasis on "mysteries" to solve. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Apr 8, 2013 |
As always with these, quiet, smile-inducing, relaxing--just good. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Okay enough, but what would have kicked it to a 3 or 4 for me is if the wedding had actually been Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni's idea, revealed as a surprising twist at the end of the novel. About those orphans--what are they, props? They barely figure in the narrative at all. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read this book (the fifth in a series) somewhat out of sequence, having already read later novels in the series. This meant I already knew the answer to the question posed by Mma Ramotswe at the beginning of the novel. This didn't spoil the enjoyment for me, in fact quite the contrary, as I was quite intrigued to know whether it would be answered in this instalment (and how). I wasn't disappointed.
As with the others in the series, I thought the book a gentle, evocative read, with one case for our detective to get her teeth into, whilst allowing us, the readers, to share more of the lives of the characters created by Alexander McCall Smith. ( )
  nina.jon | Dec 5, 2012 |
This book is for Soula Ross and Vicky Taylor
Precious Ramotswe was sitting at her desk at the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency in Gaborone.

Here is the fifth novel in the internationally bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency hit series. Once again we are transported to Gaborone, capital city of Botswana, and into the world of Mma Ramotswe and her friends.

THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY.
FOR ALL CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS AND ENQUIRIES. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED FOR ALL PARTIES.
UNDER PERSONAL MANAGEMENT.

Mma Ramotswe and Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni are still engaged, but with no immediate plans to get married. Mma Ramotswe wonders when a wedding date will be named, but she is anxious to avoid putting pressure on her fiancé. For indeed he has other things on his mind -- particularly a frightening request (involving a parachute jump) made by Mma Potokwani, the persuasive matron of the orphan farm.

Mma Ramotswe herself has weighty matters on her mind. She has been approached by a wealthy lady to check up on several suitors. Are these men interested in her or just her money? This may be difficult to find out, but it’s just the kind of case Mma Ramotswe likes and she is, as we know, a very intuitive lady.

Meanwhile, Mma Makutsi -- plucky assistant detective and deputy manager of the Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors garage -- is moving. Her entrepreneurial venture, the Kalahari Typing School for Men, is thriving and with this new income she has rented two rooms in a house. Her spare time is occupied with planning the move, the décor and her new life in a house with running water all to herself.

In the background of all this is Botswana, a country of empty spaces and echoing skies, a country so beautiful and entrancing that it breaks your heart. Mma Ramotswe has prepared the bush tea and is waiting for us to join her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:32 -0400)

In this fifth novel in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, we are once again transported to Gaborone, the capital of Botswana, and enter the world of Mma Precious Ramotswe and her friends. Mma Ramotswe is engaged to Mr. J. L. B. Matchani. She wonders when the wedding date will be set, but she is anxious to avoid putting too much pressure on her fiance. For, indeed, he has other things on his mind - notably a frightening request made of him by Mma Potokwane, the pushy matron of the Orphan Farm. And there is the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency to tend to. Mma Ramotswe has been hired to determine whether the several suitors of a wealthy woman - who made her fortune in hair braiding salons - are really interested in her, or only in her money. A difficult task, but no one can match Mma Ramotswe in resourcefulness and spot-on intuition.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible