The Kalahari Typing School for Men by…

The Kalahari Typing School for Men (2002)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Series: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (4)

Recently added byprivate library, Lolanta, gpartha, kp9949, karenchase, ehelmke, AndreaBoyce, Lace-Structures

English (73)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
I really enjoy this series of books along with others written by Alexander McCall Smith. They always just suck me in. This one involves a new detective agency opens in the area -- one advertised as being operated "by a MAN". What will the competition be like? Precious's assistant takes on a sideline business of her own -- that of the titled Kalahari Typing School For Men. Will it be a success? ( )
  kp9949 | Aug 22, 2015 |
Mme Makitsu starts a successful typing school and finds a bit of romance. ( )
  pennykaplan | Mar 2, 2015 |
An enjoyable read for those who like travelogue type adventures or studies in cultural differences. The characters seem real and authentic. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Jan 20, 2015 |
I kept the lights on a whole hour past my appointed sleep time till 2:30 am to finish this book last night, though I'm not quite sure why, other than the desire to be done with it. Mma Ramotwe and Mr J. L. B. Matekoni have yet to set a date for their marriage, but as he's come out of a big bout of depression lately, she doesn't want to pressure him. Mma Grace Makutsi has an idea for a business venture to bring in much-needed additional revenue and an unexpected man in her life, as described in the title. Lots of praise about Botswana, which we are to understand is one of the most blessed places in Africa, where there is no corruption and good social graces have always prevailed, though as everywhere else, the more mature folks lament these traditions being more and more neglected. Hadn't continued with this series for many years, though enjoyed it a whole lot when it came out, but now seemingly a lifetime later after many huge changes in my situation and a lot more reading under my belt, while I find it quaint and pleasant enough, the very morality I enjoyed as charming and refreshing I'm now finding a bit preachy, and the tone too simplistic, though I'm not sure the latter is a fair assessment. Not to say I won't continue with the series, but it won't become a priority either. I need to get back to Dr Siri Paiboun. Has more bite to it, which suits me better these days. ( )
  Smiler69 | Apr 11, 2014 |
typical of this series. I enjoy the reader. slow moving and relaxed pace. cataloged at the library as mystery, but doesn't fit that category for me. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bertola, StefaniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Amy Moore, Florence Christie, and Elaine Gadd.
I must remember, thought Mma Ramotswe, how fortunate I am in this life; at every moment, but especially now, sitting on the verandah of my house on Zebra Drive, and looking up at the high sky of Botswanna, so empty that the blue is almost white.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140003180X, Paperback)

THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY - Book 4

Fans around the world adore the bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the basis of the HBO TV show, and its proprietor Precious Ramotswe, Botswana’s premier lady detective.  In this charming series, Mma  Ramotswe navigates her cases and her personal life with wisdom, and good humor—not to mention help from her loyal assistant, Grace Makutsi, and the occasional cup of tea.

Mma Precious Ramotswe is content. Her business is well established with many satisfied customers, and in her mid-thirties (“the finest age to be”) she has a house, two adopted children, a fine fiancé. But, as always, there are troubles. Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni has not set the date for their marriage. Her able assistant, Mma Makutsi, wants a husband. And worse, a rival detective agency has opened in town—an agency that does not have the gentle approach to business that Mma Ramotswe’s does. But, of course, Precious will manage these things, as she always does, with her uncanny insight and her good heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:17 -0400)

After the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is firmly established, founder Precious Ramotswe faces new challenges at home and at work, from problems with her adopted son to an assistant who dreams of opening a typing school for men.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible