Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi…

Binti: The Night Masquerade (2018)

by Nnedi Okorafor

Series: Binti (3)

As in previous installations of Binti's story, Nnedi Okorafor continues create wide and varied worlds with cultural backgrounds that I'd never even dreamed of getting stories from, while centering values of knowledge-seeking and harmonizing as the primary heroic virtues of the titular Binti. Binti has slowly found out that her genetic makeup is less and less human, but that realization never stops her from being quintessentially human. She has a big heart, and it's her big heart that really draws the reader in.

I do wish, however, that Okorafor hadn't tried to trick the reader twice in the same novella; once when we are lead to believe that Binti's whole family was dead but turns out to be perfectly safe, just trapped, and once when Binti is killed and then brought back to life. Both instances are fairly transparent, but the second is especially so since she'd already pulled something similar earlier in the book. While those two instances detract from the book, they don't stop it from being a wonderful ending to a truly unique trilogy.

If you liked the previous Binti books, you will love Binti: The Night Masquerade.

This review first appeared on my blog. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
The third book in Binti's story reveals and resolves some of the conflicts which have arisen over the course of her life, and her development as a person continues, as do her relationships with others. Like everyone else who has read these books, I hope for at lest one more Binti book! ( )
  nmele | Sep 7, 2018 |
I’m not as impressed with this one as the second book. Five five five five five five. I understand that she was freaking out but I got tired of her doing this. Binti is also now a mixture of different kinds of DNA, and I thought that was interesting. However, there’s just no development. Whatever happened to the war? What happened to the general? Are we not going to talk to the family on Earth? Where is Okwu? The books though have always been too short for me and I always end up waiting for the next one. I think I grow tired of wanting closure that I’m probably just going to end here. And I’m not even sure if there’s going to be a 4th novel. ( )
  pistachioph | Aug 25, 2018 |
4 out of 5 stars on Looking Glass Reads.

*This book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

The last book in the acclaimed Binti series has been released. Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor is the third and last book in the Binti series, a great conclusion to a wonderful series.

This book sees Binti’s journey concluded. This novel continues where the last, Binti: Home, left off. Binti travels back home, the Meduse far behind her and no more violence in sight. But as peaceful as her people are, the Khoush are not. The flames of war are fanned, and Binti finds herself far from her village when the fighting begins. Facing the resentment of her people and the distrust of the elders, Binti and her friend Mwinyi must do whatever they can to prevent war from destroying her people completely.

The prose in Binti: The Night Masquerade is, as always, absolutely wonderful. On pain of venturing into slight spoiler territory, I would like to highlight one feature. This novella, like the others, is written from the first person point of view. When Binti is, shall we say, indisposed, Okorafor does something that I haven’t see very often. Most often there is a time skip, with some minor exposition dumping later on depending on what sort of action or important plot elements the main characters and narrator might have missed. Here, the viewpoint switches from first person to third. A very different perspective is provided, no matter how long or short it might have been. I really liked this aspect, partially because it is seen so infrequently. Other character’s actions are highlighted a bit more, and we get a more neutral view of Binti’s world and ongoing events.

At times, plot twists can be a bit too twisty. Events occur – sometimes, but not always – with no carefully placed hints or priorly related lore. Some events border on being too convenient. In particular, the ending wrapped up much less messily than I had initially expected. This was at once very welcome and a touch disappointing. There is at once a pull to see the best for all the characters you’ve grown to love and a want to see a book go to bold places not often explored, which was initially how I foresaw this ending.

Still, the ending wrapped things up very well. There are very few loose ends dangling in the wind, at least as far as Binti and her personal life are concerned. Larger questions still remain. Nothing is perfect. Very old hatred and penchants for warring cannot always be overcome so easily. It isn’t clear how the future – not Binti’s personal future but that of a broader future of the Meduse and the Khoush, to name a few – will unfold. There is still room for more tales in this world, even if our time with Binti has come to a close.

Yet, the ending was satisfying, even if it wasn’t quite as bold as I had thought it was going to be upon reaching the middle of the book. Still, I cannot fault The Night Masquerade too much for this, as exciting as it might have been.

Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor is a satisfying conclusion to a series that will stand the test of time. It is series that should not be missed, and a book that cannot be skipped. I would highly recommend reading the Binti series. ( )
  kateprice88 | Jul 19, 2018 |
Sometimes I thought that this was my favorite of the three books in the trilogy, and sometimes I was deeply annoyed by it. Sometimes I saw major plot points coming a mile away and sometimes I had no idea what was happening.

But there were so many moments of pleasant surprise that I could hardly help but be fond of this book -- and the recurring theme that in order to be a bridge/diplomat/peace-builder between species that she must physically become partly that species -- and in doing so take on some amazing new abilities that also came with significant costs... Well. That I loved.

I am still actually irritated by a few scenes -- but overall I am charmed. One of the most original voices writing in science fiction today. ( )
  greeniezona | Jun 24, 2018 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

It started with a nightmare...

"Binti has returned to her home planet, believing that the violence of the Meduse has been left behind. Unfortunately, although her people are peaceful on the whole, the same cannot be said for the Khoush, who fan the flames of their ancient rivalry with the Meduse. Far from her village when the conflicts start, Binti hurries home, but anger and resentment has already claimed the lives of many close to her. Once again it is up to Binti, and her intriguing new friend Mwinyi, to intervene--though the elders of her people do not entirely trust her motives--and try to prevent a war that could wipe out her people, once and for all."--Publisher's description.… (more)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,526,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible