Backbone: Living with Chronic Pain without…

Backbone: Living with Chronic Pain without Turning into One

by Karen Duffy

Karen Duffy’s second book, Backbone: Living with Chronic Pain Without Turning into One, is meant to be a funny and motivational read. Duffy has certainly lived through more days of illness and pain than not. And she has some celebrity cred which adds a bit to the story, but doesn’t overwhelm her perspective.

Duffy lives with chronic sarcoidosis, a rare disease of the central nervous system. It sounds incredibly painful and debilitating. Despite that, she’s a hockey mom and volunteer, among other things. I heartily commend her for giving back to the world in any way she can. Duffy takes her faith and its maxims seriously. But she makes jokes about nearly everything else, including some wildly cringe-worthy moments as a hospital chaplain in the making.

Unfortunately, I just didn’t care for Duffy’s writing style. It’s just not as funny as she thinks it is. Plus, there are times when she’s incredibly tone deaf. And yet, she means well as she talks about giving back to the world. Long story short, Backbone was a mixed bag for me.

It would have benefitted from a better structural framework. I struggled to feel the flow from chapter to chapter. For example Duffy heads right from a brief Teddy Roosevelt bio into a chapter of style and fashion advice for the chronically ill woman. Wow, what?

I have to admit that by the third chapter, I was already frustrated at how often Duffy quotes other people in Backbone. And it never stops. This book of one woman’s wisdom is overfilled with OPW (other people’s wisdom). Ultimately, it made the book feel amateurish and like she was padding the content to reach a page count.

Duffy is one tough woman. She’s figured out the upside of things that most people hope to avoid until their last few decades (or later). When she wants something, she figures out a way. And on the flip side, Duffy knows that some days simply reading a great book will be her best accomplishment. It’s all about balance when living with chronic illness and pain.

If you’re looking for a quick book with a unique perspective on living well with chronic illness, this is a decent choice. Amazing it is not.

Thanks to NetGalley, Skyhorse Publishing, and Arcade Publishing for the opportunity to read the digital ARC in exchange for this honest review. ( )
1 vote TheBibliophage | Mar 25, 2018 |
3.5 Whenever I see a book about chronic pain I tend to grab it, hoping for some new information or novel insights. I can't say there was anything really new here except I definitely admired the author.
Chronic pain can be wearing, especially if you have a condition, as I have, where you don't necessarily look sick. Duffys life and the way she manages her pain is inspirational in that she has found things that work for her.

She does reiterate the importance of getting up and moving, walking to the best of your ability, daily if at all possible, three times a week if you can't do daily. Walking has additional benefits, on retaining memory, relieving stress and other healthful benefits. Watching her son play hockey and she thinks to herself that if her son, as a goalie, can handle the pain he endures, she can handle hers. She quotes philosophers she admires, and uses as inspiration, daily saying to keep her motivated. There is much in this book, quite a bit of it common sense, though sometimes when in pain it is hard to put things into practice. Misdirection works, actually works best for me, reading to get my mind off myself, is my drug of choice. Of course, there are drugs to help and in worse case scenarios these are put into use.

I did enjoy reading about her life, how she has managed and the things she goes through daily, just to make it through. I admire her will and perseverance.

ARC from edelweiss ( )
  Beamis12 | Nov 2, 2017 |

For two decades, Duffy has suffered from sarcoidosis, a disorder that causes the growth of inflammatory cells on different organs of the body. In her case, her sarcoidosis is located in her brain, causing unimaginable pain. At times inspirational, funny, and informative, Duffy illuminates methods people can use to cope with chronic pain. She reinforces the sentiment that despite the pain, there is a way to a good life.… (more)

Arcade Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Arcade Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,984,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible