The Summer I Dared: A Novel by Barbara…

The Summer I Dared: A Novel (edition 2005)

by Barbara Delinsky

Info:Pocket Books (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Summer I Dared by Barbara Delinsky

What happens after the moment when your life is forever changed? This is the question that haunts Julia, Noah, and Kim - the only survivors of a devastating boating accident off the coast of Maine, that claimed the lives of nine other people. What follows is an emotionally intricate story of three lives irrevocably changed by a single tragic accident.

Julia, a forty-year-old wife and mother, has always taken the path of least resistance. Careful to never shake up the status quo, she has always done exactly what others expected of her. Characterized by her controlling family and increasingly distant husband as "loyal" and "obedient"; in the aftermath of her brush with death, Julia suddenly realizes that there is more to her - and to the world around her - than she ever imagined.

Feeling strangely connected to Noah, the brooding, divorced lobsterman who helped save her life, and to Kim, a twenty-one-year-old whose role in the accident and subsequent muteness are a mystery, Julia begins to explore the unique possibilities offered by the quiet island of Big Sawyer, Maine. Suddenly, the things that once seemed so critical lose significance, and things that seemed inconsequential, now take on a whole new meaning and importance. With each passing moment, each fresh discovery, Julia grows ever more sure that - after coming face-to-face with death - she deserves more from life.

Overall, I found this book to be quite good. The story was somewhat predictable - and I may have learned much more than I actually ever wanted to know about certain subjects - but other than that, I liked it. I give this book an A! and hope to read more from Barbara Delinsky in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 28, 2013 |
Romance = learned alot about catching lobsters and angora rabbits ( )
  pattysp | Aug 6, 2013 |
Light entertaining ( )
  deequa | Dec 23, 2012 |
Another "I shouldn't have listened to the abridged version" audio book, though I'm not sure I should have listened to this at all. Delinsky was a favorite author of my mother's and I'm missing her a little, so dared the book. For car "ear reading" it was okay, though I just wanted to shake Julia and make her be a grown up. But when she and Noah finally get around to acting on the quivering liquidity they feel inside whenever they're near, I did shout out, "oh come on! Get real", making the driver next to me think I had road rage. I believe the exact turn of phrase that made me shout was, "cushioned by the mist, they made love against the side of the truck." Bet that produced some pretty bruises on the backside. ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 18, 2012 |
WARM AND FUZZY
  DONNAMONTEIRO | Aug 15, 2010 |
The Amelia Celeste was born a lobster boat.

WHAT COMES AFTER THE MOMENT THAT FOREVER CHANGES YOUR LIFE?
This is the question that haunts Julia Bechtel, Noah Prine, and Kim Colella, the only survivors of a terrible boating accident off the coast of Maine that claimed the lives of nine other people. Julia, a forty-year-old wife and mother, has always taken the path of least resistance. Pigeonholed by her controlling family and increasingly distant husband as "loyal" and "obedient," she realizes in the aftermath of her brush with death that there is more to her -- and to the world around her -- than she ever imagined. Feeling strangely connected to Noah, the divorced, brooding lobsterman who helped save her life, and to Kim, a twenty-one-year-old whose role in the accident and subsequent muteness are a mystery, Julia begins to explore the unique possibilities offered by the quiet island of Big Sawyer, Maine. Suddenly, things that once seemed critical lose significance, and things that seemed inconsequential take on a whole new importance. With each passing moment, each new discovery, Julia grows more sure that after coming face-to-face with death, she must have more from life. Resolving to make things right for the future and drawing on an inner strength she never knew she possessed, Julia passionately awakens to a new world, fearlessly embracing uncertainties in a way she couldn't have imagined only a few weeks ago. Set in a beautifully rendered island off the coast of Maine, where lobstermen leave with the tides each morning to haul and reset their traps, and neighbors gather each night to feast on the catch of the day, Barbara Delinsky's The Summer I Dared is a deeply moving story of the risky but rewarding search for self, a story of survival, and of the irrepressible ability of the human spirit to rebound from disaster and to create life anew.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743469852, Mass Market Paperback)

On Big Sawyer island, life is as steady as the routine of the lobstermen who leave with the tide each morning and return with their haul each night. But for forty-year-old New Yorker Julia Bechtel, life and what’s important in it are about to be forever altered when she survives a terrible boat accident en route to the island. Now, in the company of her aunt and daughter, Julia finds herself feeling strangely connected to the tragedy’s other survivors—Noah, a divorced lobsterman, and Kim, a young woman rendered mute since her rescue—and newly outraged at the state of her marriage to a domineering man. Seeing the world with new eyes, Julia vows to embrace life with all of its joys and uncertainties. And the journey begins on Big Sawyer. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:29 -0400)

The only survivors of a devastating boating accident struggle with their brush with death, their feelings of guilt, and their changed perspectives on their lives.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible