The Taking by Dean Koontz

The Taking

by Dean Koontz

Recently added byfrootbat, the_nice_bookworm, BarbaraJane, PdRLibrary, KABooks, private library, thejayray
    Earthworm Gods by Brian Keene (beadzombie)
    beadzombie: Another apocalyptic book with a similar premise. Worth a read for sure if you even mildly enjoyed The Taking by Koontz.

English (49)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)

After I'd finished this book, I was left with a kind of 'that ending was absurd' feeling. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it, oddly enough!

I enjoyed reading the book though. Dean Koontz definitely has a large vocabulary and tends to use five descriptions when one would do, which at times does make the story slightly less accessible I found.

A good read though, with a very thought-provoking ending - after a couple of days anyway...! ( )
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
The last time I was so creeped out reading a book, it was Stephen King's 'Pet Sematary'. This one by Dean Koontz made my skin crawl with its lurid descriptions. Yet I was gripped, enthralled by the macabre buffet of words, insatiated through morbid curiosity. As for the story, it ends in such a way that I would term as 'a twist to the pre-tribulation rapture'.

Note: It's probably 'tame' by others' standard, but I don't have a strong stomach for anything creepy and scary. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Long on suspense, short on plt. I have never really liked any of Koontz's works. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
I really liked the idea of this book, The writing was very descriptive and the characters were easy to fall in love with. ( )
  amandafite | Mar 6, 2014 |
Just too over done for my tastes. I suppose if you can fully give in the the unbelievable.... not just in the subject matter, but in how the characters act, etc. I like Koontz. His descriptive text are outstanding and he makes me understand the scene and the players with humor and clarity, but this is just too much. I really feel like his later books he was more controlled and I appreciate the restraint. ( )
  bwkramer | Nov 19, 2013 |
In my beginning is my end.
-T. S. Eliot, East Coker
When you're alone in the middle of the night and you wake in a sweat and a hell of a fright . . .
-T. S. Eliot, Fragment of an Agon
This book is dedicated to Joe Stefko:
great drummer, publisher of equisite special editions, dog-lover . . . three virtues that guarantee Heaven.
The bad feet can be overlooked.
A few minutes past one o'clock in the morning, a hard rain fell without warning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584502, Mass Market Paperback)

In one of the most dazzling books of his celebrated career, Dean Koontz delivers a masterwork of page-turning suspense that surpasses even his own inimitable reputation as a chronicler of our worst fears—and best dreams. In The Taking he tells the story of a community cut off from a world under siege, and the terrifying battle for survival waged by a young couple and their neighbors as familiar streets become fog-shrouded death traps. Gripping, heartbreaking, and triumphant in the face of mankind’s darkest hour, here is a small-town slice-of-doomsday thriller that strikes to the core of each of us to ask: What would you do in the midst of The Taking.

On the morning that will mark the end of the world they have known, Molly and Niel Sloan awaken to the drumbeat of rain on their roof. It has haunted their sleep, invaded their dreams, and now they rise to find a luminous silvery downpour drenching their small California mountain town. A strange scent hangs faintly in the air, and the young couple cannot shake the sense of something wrong.

As hours pass and the rain continues to fall, Molly and Niel listen to disturbing news of extreme weather phenomena across the globe. Before evening, their little town loses television and radio reception. Then telephone and the Internet are gone. With the ceaseless rain now comes an obscuring fog that transforms the once-friendly village into a ghostly labyrinth. By nightfall the Sloans have gathered with some of their neighbors to deal with community damage...but also because they feel the need to band together against some unknown threat, some enemy they cannot identify or even imagine.

In the night, strange noises arise, and at a distance, in the rain and the mist, mysterious lights are seen drifting among the trees. The rain diminishes with the dawn, but a moody gray-purple twilight prevails. Soon Molly, Niel, and their small band of friends will be forced to draw on reserves of strength, courage, and humanity they never knew they had. For within the misty gloom they will encounter something that reveals in a terrifying instant what is happening to their world—something that is hunting them with ruthless efficiency. Epic in scope, searingly intimate and immediate in perspective, The Taking is an adventure story like no other, a relentless roller-coaster read that brings apocalypse to Main Street and showcases the talents of one of our most original and mesmerizing novelists at the pinnacle of his powers.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

Molly and Niel Sloan awake to see golden rain falling. In their remote California mountain town, they learn from their television of enormous waterspouts and blizzards around the globe; then, the television ceases, as do all other forms of communication with the outside world. The Sloans are left, together with their neighbors, in the midst of a purple fog, disturbed by a threat they cannot identify or understand. Together they discover that the world is being prepared for beings other than themselves--beings with vast technological powers at their disposal, who will stop at nothing to hunt them down and kill them all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible