The Taking by Dean Koontz

The Taking

by Dean Koontz

Earthworm Gods by Brian Keene (beadzombie)
    beadzombie: Another apocalyptic book with a similar premise. Worth a read for sure if you even mildly enjoyed The Taking by Koontz.

English (48)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
The last time I was so creeped out reading a book, it was Stephen King's 'Pet Sematary'. This one by Dean Koontz made my skin crawl with its lurid descriptions. Yet I was gripped, enthralled by the macabre buffet of words, insatiated through morbid curiosity. As for the story, it ends in such a way that I would term as 'a twist to the pre-tribulation rapture'.

Note: It's probably 'tame' by others' standard, but I don't have a strong stomach for anything creepy and scary. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Long on suspense, short on plt. I have never really liked any of Koontz's works. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
I really liked the idea of this book, The writing was very descriptive and the characters were easy to fall in love with. ( )
  amandafite | Mar 6, 2014 |
Just too over done for my tastes. I suppose if you can fully give in the the unbelievable.... not just in the subject matter, but in how the characters act, etc. I like Koontz. His descriptive text are outstanding and he makes me understand the scene and the players with humor and clarity, but this is just too much. I really feel like his later books he was more controlled and I appreciate the restraint. ( )
  bwkramer | Nov 19, 2013 |
Set in a small town in California, Molly Sloan and her husband Neil wake up to strange, downpouring rain that animals are having extreme negative reactions toward, which is part of massive changes taking place in the world. All forms of communications, including the Internet, are down. The novel starts off strong, and Koontz keeps a narrow focus, something which he isn't always capable of doing. Molly and Neil investigate what is happening and find out that aliens are taking part in an invasion of the planet, one of my favorite literary topics. Even more disturbing, the aliens are reanimating the dead. The Sloans find themselves in a battle against aliens in their town.

By keeping the focus only on this small town, Koontz is able to personalize his tale as opposed to dealing with a worldwide invasion. In certain ways it is reminiscent of the movie Signs. There is sufficient tension throughout, and the pace is strong. Dean Koontz is often hit or miss, but this one kind of hits the middle. Definitely not the worst that Koontz has written, it's also not up to par with his best novels.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Sep 30, 2013 |
In my beginning is my end.
-T. S. Eliot, East Coker
When you're alone in the middle of the night and you wake in a sweat and a hell of a fright . . .
-T. S. Eliot, Fragment of an Agon
This book is dedicated to Joe Stefko:
great drummer, publisher of equisite special editions, dog-lover . . . three virtues that guarantee Heaven.
The bad feet can be overlooked.
A few minutes past one o'clock in the morning, a hard rain fell without warning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584502, Mass Market Paperback)

In one of the most dazzling books of his celebrated career, Dean Koontz delivers a masterwork of page-turning suspense that surpasses even his own inimitable reputation as a chronicler of our worst fears—and best dreams. In The Taking he tells the story of a community cut off from a world under siege, and the terrifying battle for survival waged by a young couple and their neighbors as familiar streets become fog-shrouded death traps. Gripping, heartbreaking, and triumphant in the face of mankind’s darkest hour, here is a small-town slice-of-doomsday thriller that strikes to the core of each of us to ask: What would you do in the midst of The Taking.

On the morning that will mark the end of the world they have known, Molly and Niel Sloan awaken to the drumbeat of rain on their roof. It has haunted their sleep, invaded their dreams, and now they rise to find a luminous silvery downpour drenching their small California mountain town. A strange scent hangs faintly in the air, and the young couple cannot shake the sense of something wrong.

As hours pass and the rain continues to fall, Molly and Niel listen to disturbing news of extreme weather phenomena across the globe. Before evening, their little town loses television and radio reception. Then telephone and the Internet are gone. With the ceaseless rain now comes an obscuring fog that transforms the once-friendly village into a ghostly labyrinth. By nightfall the Sloans have gathered with some of their neighbors to deal with community damage...but also because they feel the need to band together against some unknown threat, some enemy they cannot identify or even imagine.

In the night, strange noises arise, and at a distance, in the rain and the mist, mysterious lights are seen drifting among the trees. The rain diminishes with the dawn, but a moody gray-purple twilight prevails. Soon Molly, Niel, and their small band of friends will be forced to draw on reserves of strength, courage, and humanity they never knew they had. For within the misty gloom they will encounter something that reveals in a terrifying instant what is happening to their world—something that is hunting them with ruthless efficiency. Epic in scope, searingly intimate and immediate in perspective, The Taking is an adventure story like no other, a relentless roller-coaster read that brings apocalypse to Main Street and showcases the talents of one of our most original and mesmerizing novelists at the pinnacle of his powers.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:16 -0400)

Molly and Niel Sloan awake to see golden rain falling. In their remote California mountain town, they learn from their television of enormous waterspouts and blizzards around the globe; then, the television ceases, as do all other forms of communication with the outside world. The Sloans are left, together with their neighbors, in the midst of a purple fog, disturbed by a threat they cannot identify or understand. Together they discover that the world is being prepared for beings other than themselves--beings with vast technological powers at their disposal, who will stop at nothing to hunt them down and kill them all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible