The Taking by Dean Koontz

The Taking

by Dean Koontz

The Conqueror Worms by Brian Keene (beadzombie)
    beadzombie: Another apocalyptic book with a similar premise. Worth a read for sure if you even mildly enjoyed The Taking by Koontz.

English (53)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
Hidden for spoilers...Definitely not his best as far as I was concerned, seemed as though he was just cranking it out. I must admire his vocabulary, but honestly using sussuration three times in one book is a little much? If it weren't for the ending, I probably would have rated it lower, but the tie in to Armegeddon (did I even spell that right?) was a different twist on that story that I enjoyed thinking about and I think it will drive me back to the Book of Revelations to consider some more. But as satisfying as that was, I was still left with the sense that he pulled the arm on some literary slot machine and the three different subjects that randomly lined up became the basis for the book.... ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Molly and Neil Sloan are awakened in their Southern California home in the middle of the night by a torrential downpour but this is not any ordinary storm. The rain is luminescent with a strange odor and Molly and Neil feel a 'presence' above the gray clouds. Turning to their tv for news of the event they are horrified to see that this rain is apparently world-wide and people are being horribly killed but all transmissions soon end as does all electric power. The Sloans decide they should head for town to find other people hoping there will be safety in numbers. What they find in the local tavern is a small group of people which includes a few children and several dogs. The dogs are immediately drawn to Molly and one dog in particular, Virgil, seems to want Molly to follow him. As Molly and Neil tail after Virgil they understand that he is leading them to rescue children from whatever alien form is taking over their world. As death and unearthly horrors surround the Sloans they continue to follow Virgil but exactly why are they saving the children? Or are they herding them for a devilish harvest?

As a long-time fan of Koontz it was difficult for me to give this book only 2 stars but it was just plain awful in my opinion. The reader knows so little about the Sloans that who really cares what happens to them? Nothing made any sense to me and the ending was odd and abrupt. Add to all of this the author's extensive use of words most people would need a dictionary to define (tutelaries, excrescences, rataplan, serried) which kept the prose from flowing as I continuously scratched my head and said "Huh?". If you've never read Koontz please don't start with this one.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
This was a bunch of rubbish. He threw in a mishmash of Armageddon ideas, sprinkled it with religious overtones and words that I suppose were meant to make him sound smarter and called it a story. I'm pretty sure he's just running out of anything original to write about. ( )
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |

After I'd finished this book, I was left with a kind of 'that ending was absurd' feeling. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it, oddly enough!

I enjoyed reading the book though. Dean Koontz definitely has a large vocabulary and tends to use five descriptions when one would do, which at times does make the story slightly less accessible I found.

A good read though, with a very thought-provoking ending - after a couple of days anyway...! ( )
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
In my beginning is my end.
-T. S. Eliot, East Coker
When you're alone in the middle of the night and you wake in a sweat and a hell of a fright . . .
-T. S. Eliot, Fragment of an Agon
This book is dedicated to Joe Stefko:
great drummer, publisher of equisite special editions, dog-lover . . . three virtues that guarantee Heaven.
The bad feet can be overlooked.
A few minutes past one o'clock in the morning, a hard rain fell without warning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584502, Mass Market Paperback)

In one of the most dazzling books of his celebrated career, Dean Koontz delivers a masterwork of page-turning suspense that surpasses even his own inimitable reputation as a chronicler of our worst fears—and best dreams. In The Taking he tells the story of a community cut off from a world under siege, and the terrifying battle for survival waged by a young couple and their neighbors as familiar streets become fog-shrouded death traps. Gripping, heartbreaking, and triumphant in the face of mankind’s darkest hour, here is a small-town slice-of-doomsday thriller that strikes to the core of each of us to ask: What would you do in the midst of The Taking.

On the morning that will mark the end of the world they have known, Molly and Niel Sloan awaken to the drumbeat of rain on their roof. It has haunted their sleep, invaded their dreams, and now they rise to find a luminous silvery downpour drenching their small California mountain town. A strange scent hangs faintly in the air, and the young couple cannot shake the sense of something wrong.

As hours pass and the rain continues to fall, Molly and Niel listen to disturbing news of extreme weather phenomena across the globe. Before evening, their little town loses television and radio reception. Then telephone and the Internet are gone. With the ceaseless rain now comes an obscuring fog that transforms the once-friendly village into a ghostly labyrinth. By nightfall the Sloans have gathered with some of their neighbors to deal with community damage...but also because they feel the need to band together against some unknown threat, some enemy they cannot identify or even imagine.

In the night, strange noises arise, and at a distance, in the rain and the mist, mysterious lights are seen drifting among the trees. The rain diminishes with the dawn, but a moody gray-purple twilight prevails. Soon Molly, Niel, and their small band of friends will be forced to draw on reserves of strength, courage, and humanity they never knew they had. For within the misty gloom they will encounter something that reveals in a terrifying instant what is happening to their world—something that is hunting them with ruthless efficiency. Epic in scope, searingly intimate and immediate in perspective, The Taking is an adventure story like no other, a relentless roller-coaster read that brings apocalypse to Main Street and showcases the talents of one of our most original and mesmerizing novelists at the pinnacle of his powers.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

Molly and Niel Sloan awake to see golden rain falling. In their remote California mountain town, they learn from their television of enormous waterspouts and blizzards around the globe; then, the television ceases, as do all other forms of communication with the outside world. The Sloans are left, together with their neighbors, in the midst of a purple fog, disturbed by a threat they cannot identify or understand. Together they discover that the world is being prepared for beings other than themselves--beings with vast technological powers at their disposal, who will stop at nothing to hunt them down and kill them all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible