The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose (2002)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (1)

1,734946,108 (4.01)1 / 164
    Katherine by Anya Seton (night_owl13)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (night_owl13)

English (86)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  French (2)  All languages (94)
♡ review ♡

This story wasn't mind blowing, the writing different at times, but something - something - in this book touched me very deeply. Somehow my very heart connected with this book and made me feel like I never wanted to leave it. Even despite the fact that I had to put this book down for awhile and read it off and on for a couple months, the characters and their struggles were constantly with me. I mentally could not completely disconnect myself from this book at all!
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
The Tea Rose - Donnelly
Audio Performance by Jill Tanner
4 stars

This is the first book of a multi-generational saga. It begins in London in the late 19th century. Fiona Finnegan is a 17 year-old East London factory worker with a large, working class Irish family. Fiona has ambitions. She and her childhood love, Joe Bristow, are saving their pennies to someday own their own shop. A relentless series of tragedies deprives Fiona of most of her family. She is separated from Joe and flees to America to escape a ruthless murderer. Hard work and a series of lucky chances allow Fiona to return to London years later with the money and power to exact her revenge.

This book got off to a very slow start. I liked the main character and all of her family. But, having read the publisher’s blurb, I knew that the real action of the story would take place after Fiona had lost nearly everything and everyone. It was a least a quarter of the book before she actually landed in New York and the story could really take off. I was sucked into the story. I was cheering for Fiona on one side of the Atlantic Ocean and for Joe on the other side. The story had a large number of interesting, likable, characters and a few despicable villains. There weren’t too many surprises in the happily-ever-after, although I became frustrated with the number of contrived mischances that kept the unhappy couple apart. However, all’s well that ends well. It was a satisfying ending with a bit of a cliff hanger for the next book. I own the next book, but I’m not quite ready to tackle another involved family soap opera just yet. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 25, 2018 |
This book had it all: love, tragedy, murder, suspense, tea and triumph. It was a pure delight to read. I'm glad my Bestie got me this book for christmas. Can't wait to read the next book in the series! :) ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
well i finished this big clunker. not sure why. very cheesy, unbelievable and two to three times longer than it needed to be. i think if id read this when i was 12 in the 70s, i would have enjoyed it. maybe. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
I have very mixed feelings about this book. After reading A Gathering Light I had great expectations of The Tea Rose but sadly it is not a novel of quality, merely a good yarn. Starting in 1888 the story moves from Whitechapel, London to New York. Heroine Fiona Finnegan, a poor worker in a tea factory experiences one tragedy after another until the dastardly villain causes her to run away to America. Believing she has been abandoned by her sweetheart, Joe, she teams up with kind, ineffectual aristocrat, Nick, and gradually moves from rags to riches.

I was very concerned by the vocabulary. No-one in London or New York would talk constantly of, “going to the Loo,” in the 1880s and “going for a date” and “brainstorm” were not words of that time either. There are many convenient happenchances and the murders of Jack the Ripper are included to tempt readers to pick up the book, but Jennifer Donnelly is at her best when using her own imagination to create an amazing twist in the plot. It is for this reason that I carried on reading to the end, though the melodramatic conclusion wasn’t really necessary.

So if you can suspend your disbelief and lose yourself in a tale of good and evil with a strong heroine, without questioning historical accuracy, then this is an enjoyable tale, but I won’t be continuing with this trilogy.
  Somerville66 | May 29, 2017 |

Fochi, Luciasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraan, HaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satz, RebeccaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep in their roots all flowers keep the light." -- Theodore Roethke
For Douglas, my own blue-eyed boy.
Polly Nichols, a Whitechapel whore, was profoundly grateful to gin.

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Her family and dreams shattered by her father's untimely death at the hands of a ruthless tea baron, Fiona Finnegan flees East London and eventually establishes herself at the head of the tea trade in New York.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,088,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible