The Tea Rose: A Novel by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (1)

1,570884,660 (4.03)1 / 132
Member:sandykaypax
Title:The Tea Rose: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Donnelly
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 560 pages
Tags:tbr

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (2002)

Katherine by Anya Seton (night_owl13)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (night_owl13)

English (81)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (88)
This book took me 120 pages to get into,almost gave up a few times.It was worth the effort.Historical fiction set in Jack the Ripper London,with the murders intertwining with our story.Fiona is one very strong,independent woman,a survivor.This story is love,mystery,suspense,it has it all well written.
SPOILER-
The love story of Joe and Fiona was lovely,BUT there were so many missed chances that it became a bit tiresome. By the time they got together,I was just glad it was over and done. BUT this was a worthwhile read.Enjoyable and a page turner at times. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
this book was amazing. 5 stars. very dramatic and heartfelt. loved the Victorian London setting ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
This is the first book of the Rose series and I love it. It was exciting from the start and held me gripped. The story is set in the late 19th century. Fiona Finnigan works in a tea factory. She has a fine nose and recognizes the tea by its smell. She lives with her family in a working class neighbourhood. Her father is a union leader and is killed because of it. Fiona's great love is Joe Bristow. This love is put into this first volume to a hard test. Fiona's family is killed and she flees with her little brother to her uncle to America. Fiona is ambitious and creates in NY her own tea imperium. During this time she seeks revenge for the death of her family in London. As she travels from inheritance reasons back to London, the situation of revenge escalates.
It is very fast-paced. Sometimes I despaired of Fiona's naivety, it is nevertheless a shrewd businesswoman but emotionally not always the strongest. I look forward to the sequels. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 18, 2016 |
I'm interested in many things, but I have a few obsessions, such as a well-written period novel, tea, and thrillers with 'Jack the Ripper' in them. I kind of feel like Sherlock Holmes reading such books. I haven't started yet in "The Tea Rose" but I have bought the whole trilogy for the love of tea and those gorgeous covers! Fingers-crossed. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Fiona Finnigan works in a tea warehouse on the shores of the Thames in 1880s London. Jack the Ripper is terrorizing Whitechapel, but Fiona and her family have troubles of their own. This started out strong but ended with a whimper. The book just didn't live up to the opening chapter. I felt the ending was really contrived. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 9, 2016 |

Fochi, Luciasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraan, HaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satz, RebeccaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep in their roots all flowers keep the light." -- Theodore Roethke
For Douglas, my own blue-eyed boy.
Polly Nichols, a Whitechapel whore, was profoundly grateful to gin.

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Her family and dreams shattered by her father's untimely death at the hands of a ruthless tea baron, Fiona Finnegan flees East London and eventually establishes herself at the head of the tea trade in New York.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,248,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible