The Tea Rose: A Novel by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (1)

1,424795,301 (4.03)1 / 120
Member:Jenners26
Title:The Tea Rose: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Donnelly
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 592 pages

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (2002)

Katherine by Anya Seton (night_owl13)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (night_owl13)

English (72)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (79)
After other reviews I thought I would love this, but I did not. It was lukewarm simply okay. The characters were stale, uncomplicated. A nice story, but not a great one. I am not a fan of sappy predictable stories, like Nicholas Sparks writes. If you like that kind of fluff, you'll love this. ( )
  jsalmeron | Feb 26, 2015 |
The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly is a good historical romance even though the plot is an all too familiar one. The young, exceedingly beautiful heroine faces many obstacles in life yet manages to spectacularly overcome them. This book is full of melodrama, love lost and found, murder and revenge, all told in a fun, exciting way. The author manages to fill the pages with authentic historical details along with plenty of action and her skill at doing all this gathers the reader into the story and keeps them glued to the pages.

The Tea Rose has an enormous canvas, Donnelly’s story unfolds in the back alleys of London and the high society drawing rooms of New York. Although there are too many coincidences and eye-rolling moments for it to be a believable story, this is a book where the reader knows what to expect, a fun escapist read that pulls you out of everyday life and into a fantasy of fairy tale proportions. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jan 27, 2015 |
This book just didn't hold my attention. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
  jsalmeron | Dec 8, 2014 |
The Tea Rose is a big fat soap opera of a book. It's historical fiction, but it's also a romance. It's 1889 and Fiona Finnegan and Joe Bristow are on the cusp of adulthood. Both in their late teens, they are from poor families in the East End of London, but they're both dreaming big. The pair are in love and can't wait to open their own grocery store and start the rest of their lives together.

Of course things are never that simple. There's a rich man's wife, Millie, who has her eye on Joe. There's a push for Fiona's father's work to unionize and a dangerous group that opposes that change. On top of all of that Jack the Ripper is on the loose and everyone is running scared.

It's a big novel that crosses from England to America and back again and over years of time. It's easy to sink into and it was just what I needed when I picked it up. Yes, there are absolutely too many coincidences and unbelievable elements, but that's half the fun with a book like this. You just embrace the melodrama and go with it.

Fiona was a great character, strong and resilient, determined to succeed against all odds. She, along with her best friend Nick, really made the story for me. There's one moment in the story that didn't sit right with me. Fiona does a complete 180 and it doesn't make any sense in the context of her character, but the ship quickly righted itself and I forgave the hiccup.

I love the historical elements woven into the story. It's incredibly readable but at the same time you are getting snapshots of real historical events, like the Jack the Ripper murders, immigration to New York City, and even a bit a glimpse of the painting scene in Paris in the late 1800s.

BOTTOM LINE: A bit of a guilty pleasure book, very enjoyable. I'll definitely be reading the next book in the series, The Winter Rose, but I'll save it for when I need to lose myself in a thick novel. ( )
  bookworm12 | Nov 17, 2014 |

Fochi, LuciaFsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraan, HaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satz, RebeccaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep in their roots all flowers keep the light." -- Theodore Roethke
For Douglas, my own blue-eyed boy.
Polly Nichols, a Whitechapel whore, was profoundly grateful to gin.

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:48 -0400)

Her family and dreams shattered by her father's untimely death at the hands of a ruthless tea baron, Fiona Finnegan flees East London and eventually establishes herself at the head of the tea trade in New York.

425 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,287,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible