The Tea Rose: A Novel by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (1)

1,581904,619 (4.03)1 / 139
Member:Jenners26
Title:The Tea Rose: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Donnelly
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 592 pages

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (2002)

Katherine by Anya Seton (night_owl13)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (night_owl13)

English (83)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  English (90)
Just started this series by Jennifer Donnelly - listening to it on audible audio - definitely an interesting read - late 1800's in England - Jack the Ripper, the consequences of dock workers starting a union, the hardworking Irish family life style, the tea business and the dreams of a young couple all come to life in this book. Definitely a character driven book that keeps you routing for them until the last page. Book 1 of a 3 Book series. ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 10, 2016 |
Fiona Finnegan is the eldest daughter of working class family in 1888 London. She works in the Burton Tea Factory filling tins with tea, dreaming of the day she and her boyfriend, Joe Bristow, can open their own shop. Her father becomes mixed up in unionizing Burton's and her mother accidentally runs into a notorious killer. This is just the first of many tragedies that will affect Fiona's life and future. She is forced to flee London, taking only her five year old brother Seamus. She decides to catch the first ship to America, where she will pursue her dreams, along with some revenge.

This is a big, epic story that reminded me of a larger than life soap opera. There's tragedy, revenge, and romance. I think there are a lot of historical inaccuracies here, but it didn't spoil the fun I had reading it. I started to think it was more of a historical romance than a family saga at some point, and while Fiona is portrayed as a woman who is determined to make it on her own, it's really rich men who help her overcome every obstacle. Nevertheless, I'm giving it a much higher rating than the Man Booker nominee I'm just finishing. Why? Because when Tea Rose was done I said, “I've got to pick up the next book in the series” and when I finished Hot Milk I said “thank goodness that's over”. Sometimes the brain just wants candy, not kale. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Oct 14, 2016 |
This book took me 120 pages to get into,almost gave up a few times.It was worth the effort.Historical fiction set in Jack the Ripper London,with the murders intertwining with our story.Fiona is one very strong,independent woman,a survivor.This story is love,mystery,suspense,it has it all well written.
SPOILER-
The love story of Joe and Fiona was lovely,BUT there were so many missed chances that it became a bit tiresome. By the time they got together,I was just glad it was over and done. BUT this was a worthwhile read.Enjoyable and a page turner at times. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
this book was amazing. 5 stars. very dramatic and heartfelt. loved the Victorian London setting ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
This is the first book of the Rose series and I love it. It was exciting from the start and held me gripped. The story is set in the late 19th century. Fiona Finnigan works in a tea factory. She has a fine nose and recognizes the tea by its smell. She lives with her family in a working class neighbourhood. Her father is a union leader and is killed because of it. Fiona's great love is Joe Bristow. This love is put into this first volume to a hard test. Fiona's family is killed and she flees with her little brother to her uncle to America. Fiona is ambitious and creates in NY her own tea imperium. During this time she seeks revenge for the death of her family in London. As she travels from inheritance reasons back to London, the situation of revenge escalates.
It is very fast-paced. Sometimes I despaired of Fiona's naivety, it is nevertheless a shrewd businesswoman but emotionally not always the strongest. I look forward to the sequels. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 18, 2016 |

Fochi, Luciasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraan, HaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satz, RebeccaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep in their roots all flowers keep the light." -- Theodore Roethke
For Douglas, my own blue-eyed boy.
Polly Nichols, a Whitechapel whore, was profoundly grateful to gin.

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Her family and dreams shattered by her father's untimely death at the hands of a ruthless tea baron, Fiona Finnegan flees East London and eventually establishes herself at the head of the tea trade in New York.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,617,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible