The Tea Rose: A Novel by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (1)

1,377745,543 (4.05)1 / 112
Member:Jenners26
Title:The Tea Rose: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Donnelly
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 592 pages

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (2002)

Katherine by Anya Seton (night_owl13)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (night_owl13)

English (67)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (74)
It is 1889 in the poor East End of London, and readers are introduced to 17 year old Fiona Finnegan and Joe Bristow. In love since they were children, they are determined to get married and get rich. All their dreams come crashing down forever when Joe is forced to marry Molly, Fiona's rival. With Joe gone, her father murdered for wanting a union, her mother murdered by Jack the Ripper, her brother drowned, and her young sister dead, Fiona has no one left but her younger brother Seamus. She makes a new life for herself in New York, but never gives up her dream of becoming rich and avenging her father's death, yet she can never forget Joe, who can never forget her. After 10 long years, their paths cross but never meet until a murderer comes close to taking away both of their dreams forever. An excellent, breathtaking read. Readers will keep turning pages hungrily until reaching the satisfying conclusion. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Predictable and way, way too long. ( )
  dchamp | Sep 25, 2014 |
This book had it all: love, tragedy, murder, suspense, tea and triumph. It was a pure delight to read. I'm glad my Bestie got me this book for christmas. Can't wait to read the next book in the series! :) ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
I've been craving a good historical for a bit, and this one definitely did it for me! There were some things that didn't seem quite historically accurate - and some unlikely events and coincidences - but if you want a damn good story, read this. I couldn't put it down! ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
I can't get into this right now, and I'm not sure why. I actually really like it, but I am just not in the mood for it... I dunno. I will pick it up again though.
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |

Fochi, LuciaFsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraan, HaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satz, RebeccaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep in their roots all flowers keep the light." -- Theodore Roethke
For Douglas, my own blue-eyed boy.
Polly Nichols, a Whitechapel whore, was profoundly grateful to gin.

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:48 -0400)

Her family and dreams shattered by her father's untimely death at the hands of a ruthless tea baron, Fiona Finnegan flees East London and eventually establishes herself at the head of the tea trade in New York.

425 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible