The Tea Rose: A Novel by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2007)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Series: Rose (1)

1,531834,798 (4.04)1 / 125
Member:janismack
Title:The Tea Rose: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Donnelly
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Edition: 1, Paperback, 592 pages
Tags:love, betrayal, murder, revenge

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (2002)

Katherine by Anya Seton (night_owl13)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Not only because it's a trilogy, but it are really beautiful love stories with an eye for detail for the time and place the story is situated.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (night_owl13)

English (76)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (83)
I really like this book for its intensity, engaging writing and plot twists. I really wanted to give it five stars until it got to a few too many episodes of someone being ten seconds too late for the destined meeting you knew had to happen or you would hate the story. I did something I NEVER do and got so frustrated that I skipped pages to get beyond that point! I never even resort to skimming. I was actually mad at the author! It is good to be suspenseful and compelling, but it can be taken too far. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
A compelling story propelled me through all 544 pages but the writing was ordinary and prescriptive. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I did enjoy this book though a few things were more a 'fairy tale'. Fiona was just way too lucky in my opinion and the ending was almost like a Disney film. I love to read historical novels and this one really didn't disappoint. The Jack the Ripper plot was interesting enough though. To have the novel set in that timeframe and area was rather nice. ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Oct 4, 2015 |
A well written book that follows a character through many trials and tribulations. The book is a page turner that keeps the reader engaged to the very end. ( )
  magnolia2 | Aug 9, 2015 |

Fochi, Luciasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraan, HaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satz, RebeccaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep in their roots all flowers keep the light." -- Theodore Roethke
For Douglas, my own blue-eyed boy.
Polly Nichols, a Whitechapel whore, was profoundly grateful to gin.

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Her family and dreams shattered by her father's untimely death at the hands of a ruthless tea baron, Fiona Finnegan flees East London and eventually establishes herself at the head of the tea trade in New York.

221 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible