SantaThing sign up ends in 2:41 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Vanishing Acts (2005)

by Jodi Picoult

English (91)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  English (95)
Revewing long after the reading, I think this is the one of the last Picoult book I read until Small Great THings. Just too repititious & as though she was grinding books out on schedule with little thought to writing or plot. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Oct 21, 2016 |
Love anything with Jodi's name on it...but not my favorite of hers. Probably because the heroine lets things happen to her..the two heros are much stronger characters. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
Fantastic!!! What I love most about Jodi Picoult's books is the fact that she keeps you guessing right to the very end. And it's ALWAYS worth waiting for that final surprise. ( )
  yolande.aucamp | May 3, 2016 |
Another great read from Jodi Picoult - this time exploring the issue of a parent who kidnaps his own child, depriving the mother of the child for 28 years. Intrigue of courtroom processes are really well done. Very interesting twists and turns as usual with her stories. Thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
Kate Mulgrew
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Timmermann, KlausTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
What other words, we may almost ask, are memorable and worthy to be repeated than those which love has inspired? It is wonderful that they were ever uttered. They are few and rare indeed, but, like a strain of music, they are incessantly repeated and modulated by memory. All other words crumble off with the stucco which overlies the heart. We should not dare to repeat these now aloud. We are not competent to hear them at all times. - Henry David Thoreau, 'A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers,' 1849
This one is for Katie Desmond,

who fed me Oreos for breakfast on my wedding day,

appreciates the fashion sense of blue suede shoes,

and knows just how many people died that first night out on the
QEII.

Every once in a while, a person's lucky enough to

make an unforgettable friend: you're it, for me.
I was six years old the first time I disappeared.
Memories aren’t stored in the heart or in the head or even the soul, if you ask me, but in the spaces between any two given people.
Sometimes, when you don't ask questions, it's not because you are afraid that someone will lie to your face.  It's because you're afraid they'll tell you the truth.

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiancé, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as she plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can’t recall. And when a policemen arrives to disclose a truth that will upend the world as she knows it, Delia must search through these memories – even when they have the potential to devastate her life, and the lives of those she loves most. Vanishing Acts is a book about the nature and power of memory; about what happens when the past we have been running from catches up to us… and what happens when the memory we thought had vanished returns as a threat.

How do you recover the past when it was never yours to lose?

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her beloved, widowed father, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiance, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as Delia plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can't recall...until a policeman knocks on her door, revealing a secret about herself that changes the world as she knows it -- and threatens to jeopardize her future. With Vanishing Acts, Jodi Picoult explores how life -- as we know it -- might not turn out the way we imagined; how the people we've loved and trusted can suddenly change before our very eyes; how the memory we thought had vanished could return as a threat. Once again, Picoult handles an astonishing and timely topic with under-standing, insight, and compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:49 -0400)

Working with the Search and Rescue bloodhound team to find missing people, single mother Delia Hopkins anticipates her upcoming nuptials, until a series of unsettling flashbacks threatens to devastate her life and the lives of those she loves.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible