Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Vanishing Acts (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:liadh
Title:Vanishing Acts
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria (2005), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Arizona, search and rescue, fiction

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult (2005)

English (78)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (82)
Another complex and thought-provoking read by Picoult. This story centers on a child who was kidnapped by her father -- but starts with her as a grownup, deeply happy with the only parent she remembers. Facinating story of how your past, whether or not remembered, colors your choices in the present. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
4.25 stars

Delia works in search and rescue. She has a daughter with, and is engaged to, Eric, who she has known just about forever. Fitz, best friend to both of them, has also known them forever. It was always the three of them. Delia grew up with a single father as her only parent, as her mother had died in a car crash when Delia was only 4 years old. Except for a missing mother, though, her father gave Delia a perfect childhood. Now, at 32-years old, Delia's world comes crashing down when the police arrive at her doorstep.

I really liked this. This is my first Picoult book, and I was drawn in right away. There were occasional parts that I didn't find as interesting, but overall, I really enjoyed it. It included a few twists and turns along the way. It was told from many different points of view, but the start of the chapter told you who was telling that part of the story. I thought it worked well. It was good to see the same scenario from different points of view. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 3, 2014 |
Captivating and well researched
  Annabel1954 | Oct 9, 2013 |
Page 70, review: I've just barely cracked into this book but I already needed to comment on something. I really dislike Picoult's use of different fonts for each character. (she does the same in My Sister's Keeper If you cannot write a character well enough that it can't stand alone in generic font..you ought to start writing from one perspective only. [a:Barbara Kingsolver|3541|Barbara Kingsolver|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1257817545p2/3541.jpg] writes almost all her novels from the view of 3-4 different people per story and keeps the same font. She gives them such depth and voice that they are entirely identifiable, no matter the font they're in.

Page 214, review: Qualms #2 & #3 about this book. I really am disliking the inconsistent perspectives the characters are using. Some of the characters are narrating in 1st person and some are narrating in 2nd person. There's one [the father] who switches between the two of them. It's making me want to smash the book in the garbage disposal. Qualm 3 is that this book is just a bit ridiculous, I'd love to give a full example of why, but i'm not ready to set up my spoiler tags yet.. oi vey!

Page 300, review: This book is getting increasingly more difficult to finish reading. I'm tiring of the jail chapters, the page long poorly written "raps from the courtyard", the entire meth operation with the father is just coming across really flimsy, unnecessary and highly uncharacteristic of the character Picoult has built - I just think she went too far over-board with this book. That seems to be the name of her game though, over-doing it.

Final Review: This book was pretty bad. It started out strong, interesting plot. Then gave way to a boring, predictable love triangle, a random section involving the Hopi Indians that seemed really out of place in the story and really awful decision with the father's story line. Truth be told, I skipped the last 100 pages and read the final chapter, amazing that I still knew exactly what had happened and didn't have to page backwards for clarifications. I thought the character development was sub-par and if she cut this book in half, it probably would've been a decent novel. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Picoult chooses such interesting topics and provides a number of different and intriguing points of view. In this one, though, she rambled a bit, lost focus, perhaps, and omitted a couple of the key viewpoints. Still, a good and gripping read ( )
  CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
What other words, we may almost ask, are memorable and worthy to be repeated than those which love has inspired? It is wonderful that they were ever uttered. They are few and rare indeed, but, like a strain of music, they are incessantly repeated and modulated by memory. All other words crumble off with the stucco which overlies the heart. We should not dare to repeat these now aloud. We are not competent to hear them at all times. - Henry David Thoreau, 'A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers,' 1849
This one is for Katie Desmond,

who fed me Oreos for breakfast on my wedding day,

appreciates the fashion sense of blue suede shoes,

and knows just how many people died that first night out on the
QEII.

Every once in a while, a person's lucky enough to

make an unforgettable friend: you're it, for me.
I was six years old the first time I disappeared.
Memories aren’t stored in the heart or in the head or even the soul, if you ask me, but in the spaces between any two given people.
Sometimes, when you don't ask questions, it's not because you are afraid that someone will lie to your face.  It's because you're afraid they'll tell you the truth.

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiancé, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as she plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can’t recall. And when a policemen arrives to disclose a truth that will upend the world as she knows it, Delia must search through these memories – even when they have the potential to devastate her life, and the lives of those she loves most. Vanishing Acts is a book about the nature and power of memory; about what happens when the past we have been running from catches up to us… and what happens when the memory we thought had vanished returns as a threat.

How do you recover the past when it was never yours to lose?

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her beloved, widowed father, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiance, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as Delia plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can't recall...until a policeman knocks on her door, revealing a secret about herself that changes the world as she knows it -- and threatens to jeopardize her future. With Vanishing Acts, Jodi Picoult explores how life -- as we know it -- might not turn out the way we imagined; how the people we've loved and trusted can suddenly change before our very eyes; how the memory we thought had vanished could return as a threat. Once again, Picoult handles an astonishing and timely topic with under-standing, insight, and compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:06 -0400)

Working with the Search and Rescue bloodhound team to find missing people, single mother Delia Hopkins anticipates her upcoming nuptials, until a series of unsettling flashbacks threatens to devastate her life and the lives of those she loves.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,749,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible