Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Vanishing Acts (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

Title:Vanishing Acts
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria (2005), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Arizona, search and rescue, fiction

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult (2005)

English (85)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (89)
Delia Hopkins was six years old when her father allowed her to be his assistant in the amateur magic act he performed at the local senior center's annual Christmas pageant. "I learned a lot that night," recalls Delia, who is now 32, at the start of Picoult's absorbing new novel (her 12th, after My Sister's Keeper). "That people don't vanish into thin air...." She has come to know this even better as an adult: she makes her living finding missing people with her own search-and-rescue bloodhound. As she prepares for her wedding, however, Delia has a flash of memory that is so vivid yet so wildly out-of-place among the other memories from her idyllic New Hampshire upbringing that she describes it to a childhood friend, who happens to be a reporter. Soon, her whole world and the world of the widowed father she adores is turned upside down. Her marriage to her toddler's father, a loving but still struggling recovering alcoholic, is put on hold as she is forced to conduct a search-and-rescue mission on her own past and identity. It will cut to the heart of what she holds to be true and good. ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
I'd give it 5 stars if I hadn't read a few other Picoult books that were more thrilling. I easily put the book down (often!) until the last 3rd. Stick with it. SHe has this way of making almost every sentence count....everything is metaphorical and important. Love that. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
10-2014 ( )
  Katie2716 | Jul 7, 2015 |

Want to Read

Rate this book

1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars

Delia Hopkins was raised by her father in New Hampshire. Andrew is her fiancé,Sophie is her young daughter & Fitz is her best friend. Delia often has flashbacks of random events when she was a child. This never makes sense because it's always in a setting unlike New Hampshire. She has a very rewarding job as a search and rescue team with her dog. One random night she gets a knock on her door from the police. This is the moment her life as she knew it changes completely. The person she thought she was changes, the father she knew is not at all what she thought. Her father has a secret he has kept for 28 years has now come to light. This secret will change all of the relationships she currently has and foster new relationships she thought she had lost. There are twists and turns throughout the book to keep you guessing.

I enjoyed the book this was my first time reading this author. I struggled visualizing the characters and it was a slow read for me. I would read another book by this author. ( )
  Jtalley2 | Jun 17, 2015 |
This book is my introduction to Jodi Picoult, and it’s a fine choice for that! I thoroughly enjoyed the story, was engaged by the many characters, and simply could not put it down on some occasions as it was truly compelling. It’s not a perfect book, but it’s a very good one. The interesting thing is that I expected to be highly impressed with Picoult (people have been talking her up for months and months now), but I cannot seem to find any interest for her other novels. The only one that seems to draw me is her latest, Nineteen Minutes, and it’s very odd to me that I would enjoy an author’s work so much but not feel compelled to read many more. I think maybe it’s her choice of subject matter that keeps me at arm’s length. Regardless, Vanishing Acts is a great story with a mostly satisfying (if somewhat rushed) ending, and I will definitely recommend it to friends. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
What other words, we may almost ask, are memorable and worthy to be repeated than those which love has inspired? It is wonderful that they were ever uttered. They are few and rare indeed, but, like a strain of music, they are incessantly repeated and modulated by memory. All other words crumble off with the stucco which overlies the heart. We should not dare to repeat these now aloud. We are not competent to hear them at all times. - Henry David Thoreau, 'A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers,' 1849
This one is for Katie Desmond,

who fed me Oreos for breakfast on my wedding day,

appreciates the fashion sense of blue suede shoes,

and knows just how many people died that first night out on the

Every once in a while, a person's lucky enough to

make an unforgettable friend: you're it, for me.
I was six years old the first time I disappeared.
Memories aren’t stored in the heart or in the head or even the soul, if you ask me, but in the spaces between any two given people.
Sometimes, when you don't ask questions, it's not because you are afraid that someone will lie to your face.  It's because you're afraid they'll tell you the truth.

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiancé, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as she plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can’t recall. And when a policemen arrives to disclose a truth that will upend the world as she knows it, Delia must search through these memories – even when they have the potential to devastate her life, and the lives of those she loves most. Vanishing Acts is a book about the nature and power of memory; about what happens when the past we have been running from catches up to us… and what happens when the memory we thought had vanished returns as a threat.

How do you recover the past when it was never yours to lose?

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her beloved, widowed father, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiance, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as Delia plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can't recall...until a policeman knocks on her door, revealing a secret about herself that changes the world as she knows it -- and threatens to jeopardize her future. With Vanishing Acts, Jodi Picoult explores how life -- as we know it -- might not turn out the way we imagined; how the people we've loved and trusted can suddenly change before our very eyes; how the memory we thought had vanished could return as a threat. Once again, Picoult handles an astonishing and timely topic with under-standing, insight, and compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:49 -0400)

Working with the Search and Rescue bloodhound team to find missing people, single mother Delia Hopkins anticipates her upcoming nuptials, until a series of unsettling flashbacks threatens to devastate her life and the lives of those she loves.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible