Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Naturalist by Andrew Mayne

The Naturalist

by Andrew Mayne

1981387,111 (3.82)9

Short chapters and a plot that never lets up! If you like suspense with some science thrown in, this is the book for you. I finished this one and immediately ordered the second book in the series. Professor Theo Cray is someone I want to follow for as long as Andrew Mayne wishes to write about him. A computational biologist, he uses his gift of observation coupled with his academic knowledge to uncover a killer. ( )
  hobbitprincess | May 8, 2018 |
Theo Cray can barely hold a conversation but his software helps him catch a prolific serial killer. ( )
  jefware | Apr 26, 2018 |
So this book starts off by introducing the reader to the most unlikely protagonist: a socially awkward, intelligent, and complete wuss of a professor. I loved Theo's character because he was so unique; I don't think I have ever encountered a personality like his for a protagonist. The author does a really great job of explaining why Theo is the way he is and why he becomes a suspect in the investigation. I really liked Theo's actions in the beginning, as he goes off feeling responsible for his former student's death and trying to figure out who is the actual culprit. I really liked the scientific jargon but I know that I'm in the minority here; for a lot of people not obsessed with biology, this book can be a little jargon-heavy. However, the author does a good job of explaining the concepts as they pertain to the story. My problem with this novel began around the middle point, once Theo discovered that the program he was using to track related deaths was working incredibly well and he started discovering more bodies. There was no real emotional connection; it was literally just him digging up bodies and sending in alerts to the cops, who really didn't do anything. And I didn't really buy into the logic of how all the cops didn't really care and it was just this wacky protagonist who was out there doing the good stuff. I also didn't like that the stereotypical themes in other stories (drug trafficking, corruption, etc.) got tied into this story; it was supposed to be a unique and original plot and now, you've got elements that weren't necessarily needed and that stop it from being original. As the book reached its finale, I just found myself overwhelmed by how ludicrous everything was. There is a certain amount of logic I am willing to throw out of the window - but not this much. I began this novel feeling very excited, and I found that it was to my liking until I reached the halfway point, where it just began to go down. I'm giving this a 2/5 stars because the beginning was really good and I loved the protagonist, but I don't think I will be continuing on with this series.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
I really enjoyed The Naturalist. Just having gone through a Biology class at college the since side of this was really interesting. When Dr. Theo Cray is in the same place where one of his former students is found dead he is brought into questioning. Cause of death “bear attacks”, but Dr. Cray isn’t convinced. Great fast paced thriller, already have the second book pre-ordered. ( )
  TheKnittedSheep | Jan 8, 2018 |
The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1) by Andrew Mayne is a book I really enjoyed. It fed my eager science side of my brain, the mystery, and the side that likes a good scare! Brilliantly written with so many little things that had to be thought through...wonderful. Going in my favorites for sure. Lots of suspense, action, mystery, and the science part of it was fun too. I love these kind of mysteries. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Dec 11, 2017 |
To my friend Gerry Ohrstrom, for his contagious support and enthusiasm for science.
The woods were wrong.

Professor Theo Cray is trained to see patterns where others see chaos. So when mutilated bodies found deep in the Montana woods leave the cops searching blindly for clues, Theo sees something they missed. Something unnatural. Something only he can stop.

As a computational biologist, Theo is more familiar with digital code and microbes than the dark arts of forensic sleuthing. But a field trip to Montana suddenly lands him in the middle of an investigation into the bloody killing of one of his former students. As more details, and bodies, come to light, the local cops determine that the killer is either a grizzly gone rogue…or Theo himself. Racing to stay one step ahead of the police, Theo must use his scientific acumen to uncover the killer. Will he be able to become as cunning as the predator he hunts—before he becomes its prey?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,498,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible