A Room with a View by E. M. Forster

A Room with a View (1908)

by E.M. Forster

7,455143468 (3.95)1 / 524
Recently added byScrappy21, DCL54, private library, nospi, bjoelle5, Laurochka, cross2styx, SamCanesi, sorsha
Legacy LibrariesH.D., T. E. Lawrence
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (SylviaC)
    The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Two ladies travel in Europe during the Edwardian Era.
    Merchant Ivory's English Landscape by John Pym (carlym)
    carlym: [Merchant Ivory's English Landscape] includes quite a few photos from the movie version of [A Room with a View].

English (134)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (142)
I have a hard time believing that this was written by the same person who penned [b:The Machine Stops|4711854|The Machine Stops |E.M. Forster|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347943820s/4711854.jpg|4776249]. I should actually say that in reverse as I suppose many more people read this novel than the dystopian work. I probably would not have read this had I not been introduced to Forster while enjoying the The Machine Stops. At any rate, it seemed to mostly be about what was expected of people at that time and place, much more than what actualy happened. Major events were just rolled out in a sentence or two with little explanation, when another author would have been much more descriptive. But I get that that was not Forster's point apparently. I had recently read Enchanted April and thought maybe it would be a little more like that, which had made me laugh out loud. This did not. It was, in the end, perhaps more similar to Hardy's The Woodlanders, of which I had no particular expectations, but enjoyed just the same. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Didn't finish. Never read this when I was younger. Obviously beautifully written, but just not holding my interest. Whole chapters about manners and whatnot, just not gonna happen. Same issues as when I periodically try and read Jane Austen. Recognize the brilliance, of course, just too much in another era. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 28, 2016 |
Lucy is on holiday in Italy at the start of the book. Then the story moves to her home town. Dry humour in places, it's a book about relationships that's become a classic. Enjoyable if not gripping. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
When Lucy Honeychurch arrives in Florence she’s feeling peevish and disappointed. After travelling abroad for the first time Lucy finds their little hotel filled with fellow Britons, and even the woman in charge speaks English with a Cockney accent. What’s the point of leaving England if you’re still surrounded by the same people? Plus, Lucy and her chaperoning cousin were promised rooms with a view of the Arno river, and instead theirs looks over a courtyard. But when a rough around the edges man and his enigmatic son offer to switch rooms, Lucy’s uptight, passive-aggressive cousin (played by Maggie Smith in the movie) is sure that would not be proper. Lucy (played in the movie by Helena Bonham Carter) wavers, confused. Where is the balance between embracing experience and living with propriety? If I could give A Room with a View more than 5 stars I would. E. M. Forster writes beautifully, with both sympathy and insight.

I’ve been wanting to te-read this for a while, and got to it this month for the GoodReads Dead Writers Society Literary Birthday read for January.

Sometime last year I re-watched the movie and as I remember it, the movie follows the book very closely, though I’m sure I would see changes if I watched it now after right having finished the book. The only difference I noticed was the ending--in the book Lucy’s family and friends are angry with her for marrying George, but I don’t think that was in the movie. Both have their last scene back in Italy, in the same room Lucy was in before.

The BBC apparently has a more recent production that has George die in WWI at the end, and Lucy visit Italy again as an older woman years later without him (!). ( )
  Jaylia3 | Jan 25, 2016 |
This novel gave me such pleasure to read, from beginning to end. Has anyone else ever written group scenes with so much artfulness and wit? Scenes with so many characters at once, together but in conflict, so succinctly observed? The only other time I remember reading this kind of scene before was in A Passage to India. ( )
  poingu | Jan 23, 2016 |
E M Forsters romantext präglas av en oerhört njutbar balans mellan utsagt och outsagt, mellan ytlig elegans och underförstådda referenser till en betydligt dunklare verklighet.

Forster, E.M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ekman, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H.O.M.
"The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
She joined the vast armies of the benighted, who follow neither the heart nor the brain, and march to their destiny by catch-words.
If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays [piano], it will be very exciting both for us and for her.
She was like a woman of Leonardo da Vinci, whom we love not so much for herself as for the things that she will not tell us.
There is a certain amount of kindness, just as there is a certain amount of light,” he continued in measured tones. “We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm—yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”<>
It makes a difference, doesn’t it, whether we fence ourselves in, or whether we are fenced out by the barriers of others?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213237, Mass Market Paperback)

This Edwardian social comedy explores love and prim propriety among an eccentric cast of characters assembled in an Italian pensione and in a corner of Surrey, England.

A charming young Englishwoman, Lucy Honeychurch, faints into the arms of a fellow Britisher when she witnesses a murder in a Florentine piazza. Attracted to this man, George Emerson—who is entirely unsuitable and whose father just may be a Socialist—Lucy is soon at war with the snobbery of her class and her own conflicting desires. Back in England, she is courted by a more acceptable, if stifling, suitor and soon realizes she must make a startling decision that will decide the course of her future: she is forced to choose between convention and passion.

The enduring delight of this tale of romantic intrigue is rooted in Forster’s colorful characters, including outrageous spinsters, pompous clergymen, and outspoken patriots. Written in 1908, A Room with a View is one of E. M. Forster’s earliest and most celebrated works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

"The love of a young British woman named Lucy Honeychurch for a British expatriate living in Italy is condemned by her stuffy, middle-class guardians, who prefer an eligible man of their own choosing." -- Provided by publisher.

Current discussions

A Room with a View in Made into a Movie

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183292, 0241951488, 0141199822

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,109,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible