Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

A Room with a View (1908)

by E.M. Forster

9,372180569 (3.93)1 / 650
This Edwardian social comedy explores love and prim propriety among an eccentric cast of characters assembled in an Italian pensione and in a corner of Surrey, England. A charming young English woman, Lucy Honeychurch, faints into the arms of a fellow Britisher when she witnesses a murder in a Florentine piazza. Attracted to this man, George Emerson--who is entirely unsuitable and whose father just may be a Socialist--Lucy is soon at war with the snobbery of her class and her own conflicting desires. Back in England she is courted by a more acceptable, if stifling, suitor, and soon realizes she must make a startling decision that will decide the course of her future: she is forced to choose between convention and passion.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, DrFuriosa, bookwormbev17, LuisF.Abenia, Arina40, messpots, BookWarren, lgj0001
Legacy LibrariesH.D., T. E. Lawrence
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    sturlington: Where A Room with a View is comedy, Howards End is tragedy.
    The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (SylviaC)
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Merchant Ivory's English Landscape by John Pym (carlym)
    carlym: [Merchant Ivory's English Landscape] includes quite a few photos from the movie version of [A Room with a View].
    The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Two ladies travel in Europe during the Edwardian Era.
Europe (2)
My TBR (24)

English (172)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (180)
Funny, romantic, and pointed, with a bit of turn-of-the-century girl power sprinkled on top, A Room with a View is a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Lucy leaves her close-knit family in the English countryside for "must do" trip to Italy, chaperoned by her needy and trying older cousin, Charlotte. Once installed in a pension in Florence run by a trustworthy Englishwoman, the two are disappointed to find that they have been given rooms that look out over the courtyard instead of over the river. An eccentric gentleman and his son, the Emersons, offer to trade their rooms with lovely views and after a lot of hemming and hawing over the propriety of such a thing, the ladies agree. Lucy is caught between her romantic and independent nature, and the desire to please her family and do what is correct in the eyes of Edwardian society. She is a bit undone by the unconventional George Emerson, a feeling which comes to a head in a spectacular field of violets and a last minute flight of the ladies to Rome. Part II brings us back to Lucy's home, along with an ill-matched fiancé that no one really likes that much. When the Emersons come back into Lucy's life, she finds herself deeper and deeper in a muddle that is partly her fault, and partly the fault of English society.

Forster's characters are nicely written and, while he does hit you over the head with the moral of the story a bit, the warmth and humor that comes through, particularly in the relationship between Lucy, her mother, and her brother, keep the book from being dogmatic or cliched. A fun classic! ( )
  kristykay22 | Nov 15, 2020 |
Definitely worth reading. It is surprisingly feminist. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Miss Honeychurch learns about love on a trip to Florence with her cousin Charlote. Now home will she submit to propriety and marry the stuffy Cecil Wyse, or follow her heart and grab happiness with George Emerson. A positively luminous novel. ( )
  etxgardener | Jun 19, 2020 |

Pen_the_silea | May 13, 2020 |
I have no idea when I started this audiobook, but I'm pretty sure it was last autumn. (So I picked a random date). I turn to it for a few hours a night, when I don't have any library audiobooks to listen to. It's a slow, calm novel of an earlier time when things may seem much easier to us all, now. It's also one of my all-time favorite movies, especially because Helena B. Carter, Daniel Day Lewis, and Julian Sands (who was quite the hottie way back when).
Now I've finished this audiobook for the first time, and it's almost exactly like my favorite movie, but with a lot more conversing in it. And Julian Sands' character had black hair, which is weird to me. Probably because the whole time I listened to this audiobook, I pictured the movie in my head. Almost every scene. And now I have to go watch the movie again.....
If you love period novels, please give this novel or audiobook a try. It's well worth it. 4 stars. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
E M Forsters romantext präglas av en oerhört njutbar balans mellan utsagt och outsagt, mellan ytlig elegans och underförstådda referenser till en betydligt dunklare verklighet.

Forster, E.M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H.O.M.
"The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
A Room with a View was published in 1908. (Appendix)
She joined the vast armies of the benighted, who follow neither the heart nor the brain, and march to their destiny by catch-words.
If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays [piano], it will be very exciting both for us and for her.
She was like a woman of Leonardo da Vinci, whom we love not so much for herself as for the things that she will not tell us.
There is a certain amount of kindness, just as there is a certain amount of light,” he continued in measured tones. “We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm—yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”<>
It makes a difference, doesn’t it, whether we fence ourselves in, or whether we are fenced out by the barriers of others?

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183292, 0241951488, 0141199822

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,765,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible