A Room with a View by E. M. Forster

A Room with a View (1908)

by E.M. Forster

8,868172565 (3.94)1 / 638
This Edwardian social comedy explores love and prim propriety among an eccentric cast of characters assembled in an Italian pensione and in a corner of Surrey, England. A charming young Englishwoman, Lucy Honeychurch, faints into the arms of a fellow Britisher when she witnesses a murder in a Florentine piazza. Attracted to this man, George Emerson-who is entirely unsuitable and whose father just may be a Socialist-Lucy is soon at war with the snobbery of her class and her own conflicting desires. Back in England, Lucy is courted by a more acceptable, if stifling, suitor, and soon realizes she must make a startling decision that will decide the course of her future: she is forced to choose between convention and passion. The enduring delight of this tale of romantic intrigue is rooted in E. M. Forster's colorful characters, including outrageous spinsters, pompous clergymen and outspoken patriots. Written in 1908, A Room with a View is one of Forster's earliest and most celebrated works.… (more)
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    sturlington: Where A Room with a View is comedy, Howards End is tragedy.
    The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (SylviaC)
    Merchant Ivory's English Landscape by John Pym (carlym)
    carlym: [Merchant Ivory's English Landscape] includes quite a few photos from the movie version of [A Room with a View].
    The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Two ladies travel in Europe during the Edwardian Era.
Europe (2)
My TBR (24)

English (164)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (172)
Meh. Not a bad book really, but I was expecting a lot more from it. It's a relatively straightforward romance, has a lot of telling and very little showing (but I guess that was not too unusual for the time it was written...) and basically didn't really grab me much. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Nov 6, 2019 |
Two upper-middle-class sisters meet another family of even greater wealth while traveling aboard, and potential romantic entanglements follow. By happenstance, they also meeting a working-poor fellow who dreams of entering their world of refinement and philosophical thinking.

This book was interesting, with vivid characterizations and musings on all kinds of issues from the impact of one's economic status to what the role of women in society should be. There were a few parts that dragged a little and one could argue Forster used coincidence perhaps just a little too much. However, it was definitely a thought-provoking read worthy of plenty of discussion. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 23, 2019 |
An audio drama adaptation of the classic novel. Perfectly enjoyable way to revisit the classic novel. Includes an interview after the play with the actor who plays Mr. Emerson senior who played George Emerson in the 1980s film with Helena Bonham Carter. Recommended if you enjoy the format. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 21, 2019 |
I tried to enjoy this book, but was challenged. The characters were not engaging and the storyline was overly dramatic. Perhaps I'm just tired of English Victorian manners literature? The longest 152 pages I have ever read! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Sep 7, 2019 |
Meh... I had a tough time convincing myself to finish this book. It was ok, but seemed rather vapid, or something. I'm not even sure I can summarize it.

So we have a young woman, Lucy Honeychurch, who is vapid, but who grows less so over the course of the book. She is supposed to marry Cecil Vyse, but doesn't really love him, and besides, he's pretty vapid. So she ends up with George Emerson, whom she might love, only he once made improper advances toward her in Italy. But his father, who is extremely weird, convinces her to set that aside. Something like that.

I had a hard time forcing myself to finish this book. It definitely deserves a minus (-) appended to the 3*s. I thought Forster was supposed to be a good author, and I vaguely remember having read A Passage to India in college, and thinking it was ok. But after this example, I'm not sure I'll dabble with him again.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
E M Forsters romantext präglas av en oerhört njutbar balans mellan utsagt och outsagt, mellan ytlig elegans och underförstådda referenser till en betydligt dunklare verklighet.

Forster, E.M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H.O.M.
"The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
A Room with a View was published in 1908. (Appendix)
She joined the vast armies of the benighted, who follow neither the heart nor the brain, and march to their destiny by catch-words.
If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays [piano], it will be very exciting both for us and for her.
She was like a woman of Leonardo da Vinci, whom we love not so much for herself as for the things that she will not tell us.
There is a certain amount of kindness, just as there is a certain amount of light,” he continued in measured tones. “We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm—yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”<>
It makes a difference, doesn’t it, whether we fence ourselves in, or whether we are fenced out by the barriers of others?

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183292, 0241951488, 0141199822

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,685,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible