A Room with a View by E. M. Forster

A Room with a View (1908)

by E.M. Forster

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (SylviaC)
    The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Two ladies travel in Europe during the Edwardian Era.
    Merchant Ivory's English Landscape by John Pym (carlym)
    carlym: [Merchant Ivory's English Landscape] includes quite a few photos from the movie version of [A Room with a View].

English (126)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (134)
I was surprised at how pleasant this book was to read. It was refreshing considering how much I disliked Pride and Prejudice, which initially this book seemed to resemble. Luckily, this book had likable characters, intelligence, and plenty of wit. ( )
  bpagano | Oct 3, 2015 |
The famous story of Lucy Honeychuch was vaguely known to me before reading E.M- Forster's classic A Room With a View, first published in 1909. It ia particularly interesting to read a story from a different time in history that is actually written as a contemporary novel. I dod, however, at times have problems keeping the interest up, because Forster is considerably more implicit than explicit when describing the events taking place and the emotions of his protagonists . Lucy and George are outsiders in a world that is strictly regulated, at least in the minds of the people we meet in the novel, but only George is aware of it. Reading the novel more than 100 years after publication makes it difficult to regard the characters without the spectacles of our own time, and we are in a way peeping in - but this is also what Forster is doing. He is an ominpresent writer, regarding his characters like they are actors in a play, knowing very well what choices they eventually will make. Towards the end, the book really picks up and one starts to really feel for the characters, seeing them actually make choices. The Florence of A Room With a View has become iconic, both through the novel and the film. Before I went there for the first time, Forster's description made up my image of the city. Not many novels have that impact. ( )
  petterw | Sep 12, 2015 |
Read this and 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' in quick succession. This is definitely the 'nicer' of the two: sweet happy ending, young love story. It risks becoming schmaltzy, but avoids it through great writing and very human characterisation. You can see Forster's influence on English literature, trickled down to Smith and Hollinghurst, etc. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Aug 10, 2015 |
English tourists are still arriving in Florence, hoping to be dazzled by the city's Renaissance splendours, and charmed by the laid-back, earthy directness of Italians. But in our current utilitarian age, Forster's themes, unravelling from this classic opening, seem less oppressive. Who checks emotion now, in thrall to the stuffy proprieties of the well-bred? And who bothers with beauty as an ideal, and whether it fits with the lives we lead? Yet this love story still rings true and engages us, because of the credible characters, all somehow at odds with prevailing mores: Lucy, the sulky and passive lead (so memorably cast as Helena Bonham-Carter), George the dashing debunker, and his father Mr Emerson, benign conscience of the novel with his saint-like selflessness, and unmannered romantic simplicity. A satisfying read; almost as good as the film. ( )
  eglinton | Aug 10, 2015 |
This book is an amazing classic. I recommend to everyone! It's a great read, full of romance and wisdom. I love the way the books feels, how Forester brings the reader in and really makes you care about all the characters, sympathizing with all of them. It has all te markings of a truly great classic. It made me want to travel to Italy and find love. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
E M Forsters romantext präglas av en oerhört njutbar balans mellan utsagt och outsagt, mellan ytlig elegans och underförstådda referenser till en betydligt dunklare verklighet.

Forster, E.M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ekman, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H.O.M.
"The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
She joined the vast armies of the benighted, who follow neither the heart nor the brain, and march to their destiny by catch-words.
If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays [piano], it will be very exciting both for us and for her.
She was like a woman of Leonardo da Vinci, whom we love not so much for herself as for the things that she will not tell us.
There is a certain amount of kindness, just as there is a certain amount of light,” he continued in measured tones. “We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm—yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”<>
It makes a difference, doesn’t it, whether we fence ourselves in, or whether we are fenced out by the barriers of others?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213237, Mass Market Paperback)

This Edwardian social comedy explores love and prim propriety among an eccentric cast of characters assembled in an Italian pensione and in a corner of Surrey, England.

A charming young Englishwoman, Lucy Honeychurch, faints into the arms of a fellow Britisher when she witnesses a murder in a Florentine piazza. Attracted to this man, George Emerson—who is entirely unsuitable and whose father just may be a Socialist—Lucy is soon at war with the snobbery of her class and her own conflicting desires. Back in England, she is courted by a more acceptable, if stifling, suitor and soon realizes she must make a startling decision that will decide the course of her future: she is forced to choose between convention and passion.

The enduring delight of this tale of romantic intrigue is rooted in Forster’s colorful characters, including outrageous spinsters, pompous clergymen, and outspoken patriots. Written in 1908, A Room with a View is one of E. M. Forster’s earliest and most celebrated works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

"The love of a young British woman named Lucy Honeychurch for a British expatriate living in Italy is condemned by her stuffy, middle-class guardians, who prefer an eligible man of their own choosing." -- Provided by publisher.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183292, 0241951488, 0141199822

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible