A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

A Room with a View (1908)

by E.M. Forster (Author)

8,691164553 (3.94)1 / 623
Member:samwilson.id.au
Title:A Room with a View
Authors:E.M. Forster (Author)
Info:Standard Ebooks: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/e-m-forster/a-room-with-a-view
Collections:Have read

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (1908)

Recently added byishamaeli, private library, Ari_Trahan, Antonio_Arch, InfiniteText, asxz, Splashdown, hejmarguerite
Legacy LibrariesH.D., T. E. Lawrence
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    sturlington: Where A Room with a View is comedy, Howards End is tragedy.
    The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (SylviaC)
    Merchant Ivory's English Landscape by John Pym (carlym)
    carlym: [Merchant Ivory's English Landscape] includes quite a few photos from the movie version of [A Room with a View].
    The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Two ladies travel in Europe during the Edwardian Era.
Europe (2)
My TBR (24)
Satire (169)

English (155)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (163)
It's fun and builds up stronger, but I never really connected with it. Maybe the weak start threw me. ( )
  breic | Mar 5, 2019 |
The inhabitants of Windy Corner (as well as Pensione Betolini) are left pale and perforated after Forster's serial needling. Forster can only stop heckling his characters long enough to appreciate the song of the season's and the subtle currents of music. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This book was fantastic! When I started it, I was a little confused because it just seemed to be stringing together random happenings, but as time went on, it became a great story, and all those little happenings became important.
Lucy irritated me a little because she was so... easily manipulated. She was easily guilt tripped by anyone, and was led whither anyone stronger than she willed.
Cecil was one of those idiots who thinks he's super smart. My favorite line was when he said George Emerson was an intelligent fellow, like himself, and Freddy "looked at him doubtfully."
I identify with George so much it's ridiculous. He is an intelligent person, but someone who is actually a child at heart.
I definitely recommend this book! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
I thank my friend John for helping see this author's writing style as a form of expression. That helped me do the last half with greater comfort. Some of the prose from this era seems to slow my reading. Very puffy with a lot of adjectives and obscure references to mythology and philosophy. The story is rather "cookie cutter" but probably was not when written. Love conquers all, pretension vs. let your truth self shine, urban vs. country living and "family matters" are some of the themes. There were some clever twists but even those were almost predictable. It was on an academic list of great novels of the last century. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Lucy Honeychurch and her cousin Charlotte are visiting Florence when they meet Mr Emerson and his son. Later in England, when they encounter the Emersons again, they both have private reasons for wanting to avoid them.

I was delighted by much of this; it is astutely observant and gently humorous. Much ado is made over a kiss, which is baffling from a modern perspective, but I suspect this not only reflects attitudes common at the time but that Forster is intentionally showing that his characters are being a bit ridiculous.

I would be even more enthusiastic if the final chapters had unfolded as they did. There’s an irritating scene where a man lectures Lucy, telling her what she should do. His motives aren’t unsympathetic, and his advice isn’t unreasonable -- but it is uninvited and he persists even when she becomes obviously upset. Moreover, the story then jumps in time, skipping over Lucy deciding what to do next and how she goes about it. I’m pleased with the final result, but why must you diminish her agency like that?

It is obvious enough for the reader to conclude, “She loves young Emerson.” A reader in Lucy’s place would not find it obvious. Life is easy to chronicle, but bewildering to practice, and we welcome “nerves” or any other shibboleth that will cloak our personal desire. She loved Cecil; George made her nervous; will the reader explain to her that the phrases should have been reversed? ( )
  Herenya | Feb 3, 2019 |
E M Forsters romantext präglas av en oerhört njutbar balans mellan utsagt och outsagt, mellan ytlig elegans och underförstådda referenser till en betydligt dunklare verklighet.

Forster, E.M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ekman, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H.O.M.
"The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
A Room with a View was published in 1908. (Appendix)
She joined the vast armies of the benighted, who follow neither the heart nor the brain, and march to their destiny by catch-words.
If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays [piano], it will be very exciting both for us and for her.
She was like a woman of Leonardo da Vinci, whom we love not so much for herself as for the things that she will not tell us.
There is a certain amount of kindness, just as there is a certain amount of light,” he continued in measured tones. “We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm—yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”<>
It makes a difference, doesn’t it, whether we fence ourselves in, or whether we are fenced out by the barriers of others?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213237, Mass Market Paperback)

This Edwardian social comedy explores love and prim propriety among an eccentric cast of characters assembled in an Italian pensione and in a corner of Surrey, England.

A charming young Englishwoman, Lucy Honeychurch, faints into the arms of a fellow Britisher when she witnesses a murder in a Florentine piazza. Attracted to this man, George Emerson—who is entirely unsuitable and whose father just may be a Socialist—Lucy is soon at war with the snobbery of her class and her own conflicting desires. Back in England, she is courted by a more acceptable, if stifling, suitor and soon realizes she must make a startling decision that will decide the course of her future: she is forced to choose between convention and passion.

The enduring delight of this tale of romantic intrigue is rooted in Forster’s colorful characters, including outrageous spinsters, pompous clergymen, and outspoken patriots. Written in 1908, A Room with a View is one of E. M. Forster’s earliest and most celebrated works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

"The love of a young British woman named Lucy Honeychurch for a British expatriate living in Italy is condemned by her stuffy, middle-class guardians, who prefer an eligible man of their own choosing." -- Provided by publisher.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183292, 0241951488, 0141199822

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible