SantaThing sign up ends in 7:38 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

A Room With a View by E. M. Forster

A Room With a View (original 1908; edition 2009)

by E. M. Forster, David Leavitt (Introduction)

7,763146434 (3.95)1 / 551
Member:applebook1
Title:A Room With a View
Authors:E. M. Forster
Other authors:David Leavitt (Introduction)
Info:Signet Classics (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (1908)

Recently added bysophapoll, eschaalman, cheebase, csoki637, rakerman, private library, episkounova, tufftycrisp, alondono511, bmaple
Legacy LibrariesH.D., T. E. Lawrence
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (SylviaC)
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (sturlington)
    sturlington: Where A Room with a View is comedy, Howards End is tragedy.
    The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Two ladies travel in Europe during the Edwardian Era.
    Merchant Ivory's English Landscape by John Pym (carlym)
    carlym: [Merchant Ivory's English Landscape] includes quite a few photos from the movie version of [A Room with a View].

English (138)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  English (146)
This was engaging enough, but I think _A Passage to India_ and _Howards End_ are Forster's best. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
This book fits in nicely between the classic romances of the nineteenth century and contemporary fiction. Victorian England lingers on in Cousin Charlotte's insistence on following rigid social conventions as she accompanies young Lucy Honeychurch on a tour of Italy. But an offer to trade for a room with a view sets Lucy on the path to a future beyond those restrictions. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
The answer to the question, "Which book should I pack in my carry-on to Italy?" ( )
  dele2451 | Mar 30, 2016 |
I've a feeling I'm going to be out on a limb with this review, but, despite having loved the other EM Forster novels I've read, I found A Room with a View to be as dull as ditchwater. I've been looking forward to reading this book for ages, so my disappointment is only multiplied.

This was definitely a case for me where the film totally surpassed the book. I loved the film - those gorgeous Florentine views, the fanning of the flames of desire between Lucy and George, the humorous dialogue played out so well by Bonham-Carter in particular. But the book fell so flat! The first 150 pages bored me rigid - it was only in the last 50 that it got mildly interesting.

I get that Forester wanted us to feel Lucy's growing sense of boredom and desire to feel that wonderment in life, but I felt entrenched in the dullness of her world. The characters she engaged with were largely pretentious and emotionless, and I just couldn't feel anything for any of them. Even the budding romance between Lucy and George left me cold. There was so little interaction between them it was hard to feel from those 4 or 5 short encounters any building of the desire between them.

It was obvious by page 20 what was going to happen in the end, and I was just glad to reach that point so I could shut the cover forever and move on.

2.5 stars - yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn ( )
  AlisonY | Feb 28, 2016 |
I have a hard time believing that this was written by the same person who penned [b:The Machine Stops|4711854|The Machine Stops |E.M. Forster|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347943820s/4711854.jpg|4776249]. I should actually say that in reverse as I suppose many more people read this novel than the dystopian work. I probably would not have read this had I not been introduced to Forster while enjoying the The Machine Stops. At any rate, it seemed to mostly be about what was expected of people at that time and place, much more than what actualy happened. Major events were just rolled out in a sentence or two with little explanation, when another author would have been much more descriptive. But I get that that was not Forster's point apparently. I had recently read Enchanted April and thought maybe it would be a little more like that, which had made me laugh out loud. This did not. It was, in the end, perhaps more similar to Hardy's The Woodlanders, of which I had no particular expectations, but enjoyed just the same. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
E M Forsters romantext präglas av en oerhört njutbar balans mellan utsagt och outsagt, mellan ytlig elegans och underförstådda referenser till en betydligt dunklare verklighet.

Forster, E.M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ekman, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H.O.M.
"The Signora had no business to do it," said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy!"
She joined the vast armies of the benighted, who follow neither the heart nor the brain, and march to their destiny by catch-words.
If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays [piano], it will be very exciting both for us and for her.
She was like a woman of Leonardo da Vinci, whom we love not so much for herself as for the things that she will not tell us.
There is a certain amount of kindness, just as there is a certain amount of light,” he continued in measured tones. “We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm—yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”<>
It makes a difference, doesn’t it, whether we fence ourselves in, or whether we are fenced out by the barriers of others?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213237, Mass Market Paperback)

This Edwardian social comedy explores love and prim propriety among an eccentric cast of characters assembled in an Italian pensione and in a corner of Surrey, England.

A charming young Englishwoman, Lucy Honeychurch, faints into the arms of a fellow Britisher when she witnesses a murder in a Florentine piazza. Attracted to this man, George Emerson—who is entirely unsuitable and whose father just may be a Socialist—Lucy is soon at war with the snobbery of her class and her own conflicting desires. Back in England, she is courted by a more acceptable, if stifling, suitor and soon realizes she must make a startling decision that will decide the course of her future: she is forced to choose between convention and passion.

The enduring delight of this tale of romantic intrigue is rooted in Forster’s colorful characters, including outrageous spinsters, pompous clergymen, and outspoken patriots. Written in 1908, A Room with a View is one of E. M. Forster’s earliest and most celebrated works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

"The love of a young British woman named Lucy Honeychurch for a British expatriate living in Italy is condemned by her stuffy, middle-class guardians, who prefer an eligible man of their own choosing." -- Provided by publisher.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183292, 0241951488, 0141199822

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,643,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible