A Simple Heart by Gustave Flaubert

A Simple Heart (1875)

by Gustave Flaubert

359None30,122 (3.17)19

English (4)  French (3)  All languages (7)
A novella. Somewhat charming, but overall not that good. ( )
  lindawwilson | Feb 28, 2009 |
I'd been meaning to read this one for some time, and it was perfect for what it is. It is beautifully written, and the characters feel frustratingly real. At the same time, I wanted to know more about what was going on in Felicite's head, and more about How she was the way she was. If I had, I feel as if I might have gotten more lost in the story. As is, it engaged me and interested me, but didn't drive home much emotion in any sense. For the most part, with the exception of LouLou, I feel as if this one wasn't particularly memorable. Still, it was an interesting story, and a nice way to pass a relaxing unstressed morning. ( )
1 vote whitewavedarling | May 6, 2008 |
[spoilers]

Flaubert summarizes this 1877 short story thus:

"A Simple Heart is just the account of an obscure life, that of Félicité a poor country girl, pious but mystical, quietly devoted, and as tender as fresh bread. She loves successively a man, her mistress, her mistress' children, a nephew, an old man she is taking care of, then her parrot. When the parrot dies she has him stuffed, and when she herself is dying, she confuses the parrot with the Holy Ghost. It's not at all ironic, as you suppose, but on the contrary, very serious and very sad. I want to arouse people's pity, to make sensitive souls weep, since I am one myself."

Flaubert divides the story in five parts, whose lengths describe an arch (3 pages, 13, 23, 15, 3).
  grunin | Jul 8, 2006 |

Flaubert, Gustaveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sahner, BrigitteEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This entry refers to the individual short story - please DO NOT COMBINE WITH ANY COLLECTIONS OF STORIES

One of 60 low-priced classic texts published to celebrate Penguin's 60th anniversary. All the titles are extracts from "Penguin Classics" titles.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:31 -0400)

Legacy Library: Gustave Flaubert

Gustave Flaubert has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Gustave Flaubert's legacy profile.

See Gustave Flaubert's author page.

7 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible