Ariel (1965)

by Sylvia Plath

The poems in Sylvia Plath's Ariel, including many of her best-known such as 'Lady Lazarus', 'Daddy', 'Edge' and 'Paralytic', were all written between the publication in 1960 of Plath's first book, The Colossus, and her death in 1963. 'If the poems are despairing, vengeful and destructive, they are at the same time tender, open to things, and also unusually clever, sardonic, hardminded . . . They are works of great artistic purity and, despite all the nihilism, great generosity . . . the book is a major literary event.' A. Alvarez in the Observer This beautifully designed edition forms part of a series with five other cherished poets, including Wendy Cope, Don Paterson, Philip Larkin, Simon Armitage and Alice Oswald.… (more)

English (45)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (47)
The first of the books from the semester that I'm finishing over the summer.

Great intro, written by Freida Hughes (Plath's daughter), clarifying and complicating the controversy over Ted Hughes' rearrangement of Plath's poems after her death. I'd never read Plath before, though I knew she is iconic, so all of the extra material in here was new and interesting for me. I'm not a huge poetry person, especially super confessional poetry,(I like the analysis, but reading it for pleasure is a little frustrating to me), but Plath is legendary because she is so, so good at it. I loved most of these poems, though I have to be cliche and say that "Daddy" is my favorite.

Some stand-out lines:

From "Tulips": "And I am aware of my heart: it opens and closes/Its bowl of red blooms out of sheer love of me."

From "Lady Lazarus": "Out of the ash/I rise with my red hair/And I eat men like air."

From "Daddy": "Daddy, daddy, you bastard, I'm through." (I get chills here every time!!!) ( )

askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
I've never read any Plath, and I may as well do so :)
  misterebby | Jul 5, 2020 |

Sylvia Plathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lowell, RobertForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Frieda and Nicholas
Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
O love, O celibate. Nobody but me walks the waist-high wet. The irreplaceable golds bleed and deepen, the mouths of Thermopylae.

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,592,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible