Dramarama by E. Lockhart

Dramarama (original 2007; edition 2017)

by E. Lockhart

Member:agneson9
Title:Dramarama
Authors:E. Lockhart
Info:London : Hot Key, 2017.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:grp-fiction, for-chi-ya, grp-gen

Dramarama by E. Lockhart (2007)

Read in College
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
Never wanted to before, but now I really wish I'd gone to theater camp as a teenager... Or rather, I wish that I could be a teenager now, the way I am, and go to theater camp. E. Lockhart wins again.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I'll admit, when I first started this book I groaned "Oh no, theater kids?!" I never got the theater kids in high school, so I figured I'd hate the characters in this book. Instead, Lockhart really shows the personalities and insecurities of a small group of characters, and especially gets into the head of the main character, Sadye.

"In Brenton, Ohio, where I'm from, committing suicide would be redundant.
It's a nothing town, as lacking in character as Cream of Wheat."

I was rooting for Sadye all the way. She was so real, so easy to identify with, that I knew she just had to floor them at her audition and make it into the summer drama camp. Which she did. Sadye, who had been plain ol' "Sarah" back in Ohio, decided to reinvent herself for the summer acting camp she was attending. She wasn't being fake, she just saw an opportunity to let her true self shine, since her small Ohio town didn't have room for her "bigness." But once she was there, things didn't get any easier. There was just enough conflict, just enough realism to make this book memorable.

If you don't know anything about the musicals they were performing, you can download a playlist of the songs on E. Lockhart's website. It's a fun way to interact with the book, and listening as you read helps you imagine the dances and rehearsals Demi and Sadye are focused on all summer.

A section I especially liked:
"It wasn't about my height - though I'm five foot ten. It was like I was this supersonic, hydrophonic, gigantic person - only no one could see it. Like I had an undiscovered superpower. Like I was in a chrysalis, and when I popped out everyone would be shocked at my beauty and the breadth of my wings. Like there was a sound track to my life, and it was always blasting. But everyone in the world was deaf, except me.
I know that doesn't make sense. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I felt like the extra five inches I had on most girls was a symptom of the bigness inside me."

Makes perfect sense to me, Sadye. Reminds me of myself in high school. I think everyone feels that "bigness." Some can channel it, some keep searching.

The ending was a little ambiguous. I'm torn on that issue - in short stories, I think an indefinite ending is fine, and usually expected and accepted. In a novel, however, there is more room to explore, more to wrap up, and I usually think that it needs to be resolved to a certain extent. There wasn't much resolution here, but I think it works in this case. I won't spoil the ending, but it seems real-life enough to work; there is some resolution, but also room to expand. And, in the case of a bunch of YA novels, expansion is the purpose. I'm behind the times with E. Lockhart, this being my first, so there may be a sequel - I'll have to look into that. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
tbh i didnt finish the book it was too stupid... ( )
  Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |
fabulous! Full of Razzle Dazzle. I specifically recommend the audio. ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |

Spending their summer at Wildewood Academy, an elite boarding school for the performing arts, tests the bond between teens Sadye and her best friend Demi.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,022,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible