This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a…

This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor (edition 2017)

by Adam Kay

Member:kopkoffie
Title:This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor
Authors:Adam Kay
Info:Picador, Kindle Edition, 256 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, A song of Ice and Fire, Non-fiction, Diary, Medicine, Twenties reads

This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay

This is really a story of the National Health Service and how it has evolved into an underfunded body unable to cope with ever increasing demands. A workforce dedicated to healing people but overwhelmed by sheer numbers, lack of staff, and long working hours where the slightest mistake can have fatal consequences.This is going to hurt is an expose a cry for help by a young doctor Adam Kay trying to educate the public into the inevitable collapse of a beloved institution in the hope that something can be done before it is too late. As with any job that is public facing no day is ever the same and Kay tells his story with great warmth and many funny unbelievable tales...."mild vaginal burns from a patient stuffing a string of lights inside and turning them on (brings new meaning to the phrase..I put the Christmas light up myself!)...."he explains that the last time he was on call on Christmas Day, he chucked on the outfit and beard for the ward round and was halfway through when an elderly patient suddenly went into cardiac arrest, so he dashed over and started CPR while a nurse went to fetch the trolley. Unusually the CPR was successful and the patient gasped back to life to the sight of a six foot Santa liplocked with her, his arms on her chest. I can still hear her scream he said",,,,,,.."Prescribing a morning-after pill in A&E. The patient says,..I slept with three guys last night. Will one pill be enough?".....
A very enjoyable, informative, and often sad read, highly recommended. ( )
  runner56 | Jun 18, 2019 |
Kay writes with wit and heart. Full of complaints, but the humor makes this tolerable. It drags a bit, becoming slightly repetitive, toward the end—and then just ends. But overall it gives us an informative experience. ( )
  breic | May 12, 2019 |
A relentless, but often humorous, book about the traumatic six years of a UK doctor's life as they progress from House Officer to Senior Registrar. ( )
  CarltonC | May 7, 2019 |
The truth behind working as an NHS doctor.
It has never ceased to amaze me just how badly our junior doctors are treated. Their decisions are often life-saving, yet they are expected to operate with minimal sleep and almost no time off. This is Going to Hurt brought home some of the facts that I had long been aware of and put them into context within the life of one doctor. He informs us that the suicide rate amongst women doctors is twice the national average. It's not so much surprising that doctors are leaving the profession, than that we aren't losing many more.

Adam Kay worked on the labour wards, as an obs/gynae, delivering babies and solving problems associated with difficult births. He was also involved with IVF treatment, which can be available if you have a certain post code, but much more limited if you are unfortunate enough to live down the road, in the catchment area of another hospital.

The book consists of snippets and longer accounts, drawn form his diaries. Many of them are amusing (you wouldn't believe what people put up inside themselves!) and some are sad. This does make the narrative a bit disjointed, but on the whole it worked.

I was listening to the audio book, well read by Adam Kay, himself. I discovered that one of the distinct advantages of the audio was that the footnotes and explanations that are added at the end of the chapters in the book, are narrated as appropriate, either in a lowered voice, or with the word 'footnote' and 'end of footnote'. This saved a lot of the page turning associated with the written version.

Definitely recommended for anyone who is considering entering this profession.
It left me wondering how trainee doctors are treated in other parts of the world?? ( )
  DubaiReader | Apr 10, 2019 |
Adam Kay writes a Funny Book about life as a junior doctor on an Obs and Gynae ward.

The book is written partly because of the political debate about what junior doctors should be paid, and it's very clear about that agenda - the author thinks they are hugely mistreated and undervalued and over worked. I've heard others describe it as 'whiny' book, and I can see why, although given the ridiculous hours, lack of ability to plan leave, and hugely stressful situations junior doctors are placed in, some whining seems appropriate!

It's a very Obs & Gynae book. If you don't want to read about vaginas, baby loss, stressful birth stories, and Adam's very traditional young male doctor views on childbirth (elective caesareans are a good choice! Home birth is basically you planning that your baby might die!) then this is definitely not the book for you.

Likewise, if you're worried that doctors are judging your stupid questions, and laughing about you behind your back, this is also not the book for you. Adam is.

But it is a frank and funny look into places most of us don't get to look, and if you can stomach the blood, gore, and tone of voice, it's a good read. ( )
  atreic | Feb 28, 2019 |

As soon as Adam Kay set foot on a hospital ward for the first time, he realized there's quite a lot they don't teach you at medical school ? His diaries from the NHS front line - scribbled in secret after long nights, endless days and missed weekends - are hilarious, horrifying and heartbreaking by turns. This Is Going to Hurt is everything you wanted to know about being a junior doctor, and more than a few things you really didn't. And yes, it may leave a scar.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,650,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible