Deep Storm by Lincoln Child

Deep Storm

by Lincoln Child

1,193326,721 (3.64)18

English (29)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (32)
Miles below the North Atlantic Ocean, Dr. Peter Crane is summoned to identify a mysterious illness plaguing the workers at a research station. The huge facility is 12-stories high but has a lot of secret off-limit areas. The remoteness of the facility adds tension to the story.
Although initially recruited to identify the illness, the main plot is the question of what is underneath the surface floor of the ocean where the researchers are digging. As in any new work environment, Dr. Crane has to sift through his experience to find out who he can trust. A saboteur is identified and then it’s a race against time to save the entire operation.
DEEP STORM did hold my interest but unfortunately I could see certain plot developments coming. Child’s writing style is fine for a book such as this; there are some very imaginative ideas for which I give the book high marks and some cliché prose that made me go “ugh”. The book is ok but it wouldn’t be among my top recommendations.
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
A robot servicing a deep sea pipeline on a North Sea oil rig starts exhibiting some anomalous behavior. Then it's two years later, and Dr. Peter Crane, a naval psychologist, is preparing to be shuttled to a top-secret deep-sea facility. Material given to him indicates that it's related to the Atlantis myth, and certainly some of the people on the station believe so. But the facility is rigorously managed by military personnel, and the ailment Dr. Crane is sent to investigate becomes secondary to other things going on around him.

This is very suspenseful, fast-paced story. As the body count increases, Crane finds out that alien artifacts have been discovered. Sadly, one of the doctors working on deciphering the message from them is also one of the early casualties. But he left some bread crumbs behind. Battle lines begin to be drawn, but aren't what you think. As the alien mystery unravels, maniacal military leaders press relentlessly toward something that might doom us all. ( )
  JeffV | Nov 21, 2015 |
An interesting read. I don't remember most of it. It's all a haze of "What the fuck is happening?" questions. I was constantly stumped. For the most part, this is a good thing. I like it when a book keeps me guessing. It compels me to continue reading, in the hopes that my guesses were correct. Of course, they never are. But, usually I end up with a real answer.

I'm not so sure about the end result in this book. I'm pretty sure I just kept asking what the fuck over and over until the end. So, fuck Lincoln Child in his dirty asshole. Because, I love reading his books, but it always leaves me feeling even more retarded than I am. Derp de der. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
A thriller set deep in the ocean's crust. I liked some of the characters, but most seemed stereotypical and shallowly drawn. The premise was interesting, somewhat. Hard to say too much without giving the story away. I am lukewarm about the book because for most of the pages it lacked energy, and never really hooked me.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5504071/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 25, 2014 |
In Deep Storm, Child hikes up the creativity quite a bit and weaves a tale that I couldn't predict no matter how hard I tried. It starts off with the discovery of Atlantis under the sea, and then it spins of into totally different directions. The end revelation is jarring and unnerving, and I'm pleased that Child had the balls to leave it on such a chilling note. I spent the last fourth of the book reading as quickly as I could, often to the point where I realized I was skipping paragraphs that I had to go back and reread. ( )
1 vote BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
To Luchie
It took a certain kind of man, Kevin Lindengood decided, to work an oil rig.

Twelve-thousand feet beneath the Atlantic Ocean . . .
scientists are excavating the most extraordinary undersea discovery ever made. But is it the greatest archaeological find in history—or the most terrifying?

Former naval doctor Peter Crane is urgently summoned to a remote oil platform in the North Atlantic to help diagnose a bizarre medical condition spreading through the rig. But when he arrives, Crane learns that the real trouble lies far below—on “Deep Storm,” a stunningly advanced science research facility built two miles beneath the surface on the ocean floor. The topsecret structure has been designed for one purpose: to excavate a recently discovered undersea site that may hold the answers to a mystery steeped in centuries of myth and speculation.

Sworn to secrecy, Dr. Crane descends to Deep Storm. A year earlier, he is told, routine drilling uncovered the remains of mankind’s most sophisticated ancient civilization: the legendary Atlantis. But now that the site is being excavated, a series of disturbing illnesses has begun to affect the operation. Scientists and technicians are experiencing a bizarre array of symptoms—from simple fatigue to violent psychotic episodes. As Crane is indoctrinated into the strange world of Deep Storm and commences his investigation, he begins to suspect that the covert facility conceals something more complicated than a medical mystery.The discovery of Atlantis might, in fact, be a cover for something far more sinister . . . and deadly.

Like Lincoln Child’s spectacular bestsellers coauthored with Douglas Preston (The Book of the Dead, Relic), Deep Storm melds scientific detail and gripping adventure in a superbly imagined, chillingly real journey into unknown territory. Child is a master of suspense, and Deep Storm is his most ambitious novel to date.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:30 -0400)

Summoned to a remote oil rig to diagnose a strange medical ailment among the rig workers, ex-Navy physician Peter Crane soon discovers that the condition is linked to the underwater excavation being done at science research station Deep Storm.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible