Jane Seymour, The Haunted Queen by Alison…

Jane Seymour, The Haunted Queen

by Alison Weir

Young, pious Jane Seymour finds herself at the heart of Tudor Court life, when she accepts a position as lady in waiting to Queen Katherine, wife of Henry VIII. She loves serving her queen, but finds much of court life is not to her liking as it is full of vain, shallow individuals always vying for riches, favor, and advancement. When the King's eye and heart falls on fellow lady-in-waiting Anne Boleyn, Queen Katherine and Jane's glittering world comes crashing down around them. Jane is loyal to Queen Katherine in her heart, but is ordered by her family to now serve the rising Lady Anne. Against her wishes, Jane complies with her family's wishes, with Queen Katherine's approval. However, Jane finds more that she bargains for at the court of Henry and Anne...including the attentions of the King.

As with the other 2 books in the Six Tudor Queens series, this one continues a great tradition of historical fiction that leaves you wanting to know more! While most of us know the fates of Henry VIII and his wives, this series nonetheless leaves you intrigued and hanging on the edge of your seat. On to Anne of Cleeves! ( )
  chrirob | Jan 2, 2019 |
As a child, Jane Seymour dreamed of becoming a nun. After spending a season at the nunnery, she decided that life wasn't for her. Her family found her a place at court under Queen Katherine. During this time, Anne Boleyn began flaunting her relationship with the King. Once Queen Katherine was cast off, Jane became a lady to Queen Anne. One day, when Jane is in the garden, she comes across King Henry, and he quickly becomes infatuated with her kindness and gentle manner.

This was a well written and engaging book. I particularly enjoyed reading about Jane's time under Queen Katherine. Once Jane became Queen the book seemed to stagnant a bit. The tension and drama was essentially over. I look forward to reading the next book from Weir. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Dec 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read most of Alison Weir's histories, so I trust that the historical background in the novel was accurate even if she took a few liberties in the interest of the story line. I've read and enjoyed a couple other of her novels, and this was no different. It tells the story of Jane Seymour, starting in her childhood and including her interactions with Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. I found it a very engaging and informative read.

We can only speculate what would have happened if she had lived past the birth of the future Edward VI. Would she also have fallen out of favor with Henry? Would her Catholic faith have influenced Henry and Edward and the English Reformation? ( )
  brewergirl | Oct 27, 2018 |
Jane Seymour is a Tudor queen about which less has been written; she was a quiet girl, who spent her early years wanting to become a nun. Her home life was rather horrific: her brother’s wife became her father’s mistress. Ultimately she is sent to court to be Lady in Waiting to Henry’s first queen, Catherine of Aragon. She loves Catherine, and dislikes Henry’s adulteries. When he banishes Catherine and declares their marriage null, she is reassigned to Anne Boleyn, whom she despises. When Anne in turn falls from favor, she is flattered but alarmed when the king’s attentions turn to her.

Jane was supposed to be Henry’s favorite queen; she gave him a living son and died before he could get bored with her. He is buried next to her. She was involved with Henry for only 3 years- which was longer, actually, than I’d thought. She left behind no letters and was not involved in politics or religious arguing, so her character can only be surmised from what little others wrote about her. Weir has given us a pious, private girl who was pushed into the king’s path by her family. Sadly, this girl failed to take fire as a character. She comes across as one of those people you don’t pay much attention to in real life.

The first part of the book is very, very heavily entwined with the stories of Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, because Jane lived through that and knew them, and she was not a history maker until after they were dead. There is a lot of physical details in the book, which bring the time alive, but not, unfortunately, Jane. Three stars. ( )
1 vote lauriebrown54 | Oct 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in exchange for a review. I am obsessed with the Tudors, I read any books I can find on them. Most of these books are well written and Jane Seymour is one of them. I found her story a wonderful surprise. Jane was a very moral woman and had a wonderful love story with a king. It is too bad she died after giving Henry a son. Imagine the differences if she had survived. ( )
  mnm123 | Sep 13, 2018 |

"A novel about Jane Seymour, the devout young woman who became the unwilling object of King Henry VIII's ardor--and the mother of his only son. In this third book in the epic Six Tudor Queens series, the acclaimed historian and bestselling author brings new insight to this dramatic story, showing how pure fear for her life determined Jane's actions. 25-year-old Jane Seymour wants nothing more than to become a nun. But her ambitious father has forced her to live at court as lady-in-waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon, a fellow-Catholic whom she soon comes to love and admire. So Jane is appalled when King Henry shunts Katherine aside in his lustful pursuit of Anne Boleyn, but even more so when he takes Anne's life in his rush to wed--Jane herself! Unwilling to marry but terrified to resist Henry's advances for fear she might share Anne's fate, and propelled by her family, Jane becomes Queen of England a mere ten days after Anne's execution. She knows she must produce a male heir without fail. Her very life depends on it"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Alison Weir's book Jane Seymour: A Haunted Queen is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,763,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible