A Gathering of Secrets by Linda Castillo

A Gathering of Secrets

by Linda Castillo

This is the tenth in the series and Linda Castillo stepped it up a notch. I was wondering if this series would burn itself out, but not so. In this story, a barn burns down and a young Amish man's body is discovered inside. As the fire inspector continues his investigation, it becomes obvious that this was intentional, and Daniel Gingerich was the intended victim. Who had motivation to kill this young man? Everyone Kate talks to seems to think he is a wonderful Amish man and son, yet others remain tight lipped. Who was Daniel Gingerich and what was his true self?

As Kate Burkholder investigates, this case becomes very personal. Can she remain neutral enough to see justice done? If there was motivation, was it still a crime? This book gives us another look at Kate's past and how it affects her now. I like that her relationship with Tomasetti is growing and changing. The inside glimpses and beliefs of the Amish community are insightful and interesting. With Kate no longer being part of the Amish Community, this book really showed how the police force is her new community and how they support one another. As a mother, I wondered, how far I would go to protect my child(ren). This case will take a few turns before coming to a satisfying though sad ending. As always, Linda Castillo presents the reader with a well written and plotted story. I enjoy the balance between crime and personal life. It is nice to connect with the protagonist and wish that you got a chance to meet them. If you enjoy mysteries or crime stories with a personal twist, pick up this book or any in this series. The publisher, St. Martin's Press, provided me with a copy of this book to read. The opinions stated are my own. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Wow, who knew that the Amish had so many dark secrets? The latest installment in the Kate Burkholder series has Kate investigating the death of a young Amish man in a barn fire. As she digs deeper, she uncovers many secrets being held by this tight-knit community. At the same time, Kate needs to face her past and her future. As always, Kate is put into danger by people who want her to stop investigating. There are many clues as to the culprits with a few red herrings thrown in the story to cause you to wonder who the real killer is.
I did have my suspicions early on, but not the full extent of the mystery. I also really enjoyed the parallel story of Kate and Tomasetti.
Well done, Linda Castillo, another wonderful book!!!
Thanks to Minotaur Books and Linda Castillo for an advance copy of this book. I loved it!!

#AGathering of Secrets #MinotaurBooks #LindaCastillo ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
An interesting mystery, set in the silence of the Amish culture. The death of a young Amish man is investigated by the sheriff, a former female member of the culture that has been shunned by the group. The book provides some insight into the traditions and beliefs of the culture. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jan 1, 2019 |
This is a wonderful series. The characters are real...the situations are believable...and the solutions always come out on the side if the good guys. Even though this is a series with 10 books already to it's credit...each book actually reads well as a standalone since the author explains any references she may make to past events. The series also gives some insight to the Amish and their simple way of life without being preachy or religious. Easy reading and very enjoyable. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 6, 2018 |
This was a bit of a shocking book, by an author I hadn't encountered before. It delves into a piece of Amish life that people never really think about much. That is, the reclusiveness, secrecy, and sense of decorum that makes any talk related to sexual activity taboo, as well as the role of women enforced in many Amish communities, that in effect makes the community a perfect target for a sexual predator. After a young Amish man is killed in a gruesome way, the local police chief finds disturbing truths about his behavior with young local women - women who never spoke out for fear of being ostracized and blamed for what happened to them. As the pieces continue to come together, and the suspect list only grows longer, things all come together in a surprising conclusion. I really enjoyed the book and felt that the characters and plot were developed well. The idea of making the police chief ex-Amish herself was also a nice touch, since it offered the excuse for her to explain important cultural things to the reader. I came away with both an appreciation for the book as a thriller and a new understanding and appreciation for Amish culture and how it works - it's maybe not all positive, but it is extremely encompassing and extends far beyond the basic things I knew about. It's not a new favorite or anything, but I'd definitely recommend it for those interested in the genre. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Sep 16, 2018 |
There is some soul of goodness in things evil,
Would men observingly distil it out.
Shakespeare, Henry V

"A deadly fire exposes the dark side of Amish life ... When a historic barn burns to the ground in the middle of the night, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called in to investigate. At first, it looks like an accident, but when the body of eighteen-year-old Daniel Gingerich is found inside-- burned alive --Kate suspects murder. Who would want a well-liked, hardworking young Amish man dead? Kate delves into the investigation only to find herself stonewalled by the community to which she once belonged. Is their silence a result of the Amish tenet of separation? Or is this peaceful and deeply religious community conspiring to hide a truth no one wants to talk about? Kate doubles down only to discover a plethora of secrets and a chilling series of crimes that shatters everything she thought she knew about her Amish roots, and herself. As Kate wades through a sea of suspects, she's confronted by her own violent past and an unthinkable possibility"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible