American Drifter: A Thriller by Heather…

American Drifter: A Thriller

by Heather Graham

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An American drifter takes on Rio de Janerio in the aptly named Americsn Drifter by Heather Graham. I received this book as part of the Early Reveiwer program. While I wnjoyed the book, it is not a book I would have purchased with my own money. ( )
  joeinma | May 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting tale that is part travel journal, part adventure, and part love story. The twists and turns through Brazil include wonderful characters as well, who seem so genuine they feel like old friends. This is also a good examination of the effects of war on the young, and how PTSD can impact families. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  RobynELee | Jan 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
American Drifter is a great read that sinks you right into Rio de Janeiro and Carnaval. The drifter is River Roulet and you travel with him as he experiences Brazil. I was hooked right from the beginning and it was quite the page turner. All in all, Heather Graham and Chad Michael Murray have created a great book.
  jeshakespeare | Jan 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
River Roulet is an army vet with PTSD and decides to travel to Brazil to relax, shake off the horrors from his past and just be a free spirit. He meets a beautiful woman who entrances him, but he also comes across the local drug lord which could cause him problems. Somewhat interesting premise, but the story telling is sophomoric. There are constant repetition of thoughts and feelings. We get the point. The writing needs a lot of work, I felt as though this one done in a beginning writing class and never developed. Really wanted to like it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Even the revelation at the end didn’t help me enjoy this book. ( )
  grumpydan | Jan 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've never read Heather Grahm but I hear she's quite good. Unfortunately this book does not offer confirmation of that assertion. The story here is of a young American war veteran recuperating in Brazil where he falls in love with a beautiful woman and runs afoul of a terrible drug lord. I know, never heard that before. I'd be scared to check the lexile level on this one because it reads like a slightly elevated See Dick Run book.

In all fairness the plot does keep moving and the characters sort of draw you in. The saving grace is a plot twist at the end that most will not see coming. Not a bad way to kill a Saturday if you must, but much better books to read out there. ( )
  norinrad10 | Dec 26, 2017 |

Heather Grahamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murray, Chad MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A young veteran of the US Army, River Roulet is struggling to shake the horrors of his past. War is behind him, but the memories remain. Desperate to distract himself from the images haunting him daily, River abandons the world he knows and flees to the country he's always dreamed of visiting: Brazil. Rio de Janeiro is everything he hoped for and more. In the lead-up to Carnaval, the city is alight with music, energy, and life. With a few friends at his side, River seems to be pulling his life together at last. Then he meets the enchanting Natal, an impassioned journalist and free spirit - who lives with the gangster that rules much of Rio. As their romance blossoms, River and Natal flee together into the interior of Brazil, where they are pursued by the sadistic drug lord, Tio Amato, and his men. When River is forced to kill one of those men, the chase becomes even deadlier. Not only is the powerful drug boss after them, the Brazilian government is on their trail as well.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Heather Graham's book American Drifter is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,992,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible