Lorna Doone (Penguin Classics) by R. D.…

Lorna Doone (Penguin Classics) (original 1869; edition 2005)

by R. D. Blackmore, Robert Madison (Contributor), Michelle Allen (Editor), Michelle Allen (Introduction)

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Lorna Doone (Penguin Classics)
Authors:R. D. Blackmore
Other authors:Robert Madison (Contributor), Michelle Allen (Editor), Michelle Allen (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2005), Paperback, 800 pages
Collections:Your library, To read (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:England, Audiobook

Lorna Doone by Richard Doddridge Blackmore (Author) (1869)

Green Mansions by W. H. Hudson (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: The romantic relationships are very similar in these two books, and both are told in the first person by the man.
    The Facts on which Blackmore based Lorna Doone [Tenth Edition] by Atholl Oakeley (Sylak)
    Sylak: For true Doonaphiles only.

English (29)  French (2)  All languages (31)
This book is almost forgotten today. I listened to it on the Audible.com edition. The reader explains at the beginning how he had to go through hoops to get the accents right.

The book has some flowery language but otherwise is written in superlative beautiful Victorian English. It is an unusual story that is well worth the effort to listen to it or read it.

It is so well written that I got to the end despite its length and was a bit sorry when it ended. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
I hovered between 3 and 4 stars for this classic historical fiction. It is tempting to say that it would be better abridged - shorter and more to the point - and certainly the main love story has plenty of excitement to be a worthy book on its own. However, the more I thought about that, the more I realized that Blackmore, by writing this as he did, is making a statement about life in that time (late 1600's) just as much as he did with the plot. John Ridd is a farmer, and for the survival of his family and their dependents, taking care of the farm had to take precedence no matter how much he might want to be following his love or having adventures (not that John ever wanted adventures!). By breaking up the action with bucolic scenes, it is a reminder that this is what truly matters, not the adventure. You couldn't get that message with an abridged version. ( )
1 vote leslie.98 | Mar 18, 2014 |
A romance based on a group of historical characters and set in the late 17th Century in Devon and Somerset. ( )
  MiaSquires | Feb 21, 2014 |
While I did no post-reading note on this book when I read it I know I really enjoyed it and it lives in my memory still, over 40 years after I read it. Our local library only has a tape copy--maybe that will be satidfactory for folk now, but I am glad the library had a book when I read it. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 2, 2013 |
Brilliant, once I got into the way it was written then I realised it was kind of old english style. Great story in a dramatic part of England which I have now visited as a result of reading it.
  AnnaPearl | Apr 22, 2013 |
[This review relates to the Naxos unabridged audiobook version, ISBN 9781843793618]

Its audio form releases the language from the page thanks to Jonathan Keeble, an extraordinarily skilled voice actor who takes on the archaic Devon accent as though born to it - which, as a native of the region, he was. The novel's quietly droll passages and paeans to nature are greatly enhanced by his country aplomb.

Blackmore, Richard DoddridgeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rooney, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If anybody cares to read a simple tale told simply, I, John Ridd, of the parish of Oare, in the county of Somerset, yeoman and churchwarden, have seen and had a share in some doings of this neighborhood, which I will try to set down in order, God sparing my life and memory.

Lorna Doone, a Romance of Exmoor is an historical novel of high adventure set in the South West of England during the turbulent time of Monmouth's rebellion (1685). It is also a moving love story told through the life of the young farmer John Ridd, as he grows to manhood determined to right the wrongs in his land, and to win the heart and hand of the beautiful Lorna Doone.Continuously in print since its first publication in 1869, Lorna Doon has remained perennially popular with a wide readership ever since--Back cover.

First published in 1869, Lorna Doone is the story of John Ridd, a farmer who finds love amid the religious and social turmoil of seventeenth-century England. He is just a boy when his father is slain by the Doones, a lawless clan inhabiting wild Exmoor on the border of Somerset and Devon. Seized by curiosity and a sense of adventure, he makes his way to the valley of the Doones, where he is discovered by the beautiful Lorna. In time their childish fantasies blossom into mature love—a bond that will inspire John to rescue his beloved from the ravages of a stormy winter, rekindling a conflict with his archrival, Carver Doone, that climaxes in heartrending violence. Beloved for its portrait of star-crossed lovers and its surpassing descriptions of the English countryside, Lorna Doone is R. D. Blackmore’s enduring masterpiece.

First time in Penguin Classics
Since its publication in 1869, Lorna Doone has never been out of print
Features explanatory notes, a list of suggestions for further reading, a dictionary of Dorset dialect, and a map of Doone Valley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:37 -0400)

"The words "Lorna Doone" are familiar to all readers of English literature. In 1869 Richard Doddridge Blackmore published his romance of Exmoor and saw it become one of the most beloved stories of the century." "In Lorna Doone Blackmore invented a unique narrative voice in the homely John Ridd, a dramatic love story with the mysterious Lorna of the outlaw Doones, and a magnificent setting in the descriptions of Devon and Somerset. This Penguin Classics edition returns to the first edition text, largely unavailable for over a hundred years, while including all of Blackmore's prefaces. Robert Madison introduces Lorna Doone in the context of Blackmore's life and works, while Michelle Allen closely analyzes the revisions of his most enduring book. The editors have included a glossary of West Country dialect by Blackmore's contemporary William Barnes."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible