Heart of Fire by Linda Howard

Heart of Fire

by Linda Howard

English (8)  German (1)  All (9)
Very exciting story about an archeological expedition in the Amazon. I was riveted along every step of trek never knowing when the bad guys or the environment was going to strike. The relationship between main characters was intense and steamy. Jillian tries to find a lost city in the Amazon jungle and hires Ben to guide the trip.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Now this is only my second Howard book, so I’m not sure, but so far it seems like the heroes are big walking sex machines. In "After the Night" pretty much all the hero could think about was when his naughty parts were going to get to play with the heroine’s naughty parts. And in "Heart of Fire", Ben isn’t much different. Well, okay so he isn’t always thinking about boinking the heroine, because if that was the case then they’d both be dead from multiple bullet wounds.

But other than Ben’s amazing libido we don’t get much info on him. Instead we get hints that something made him flee his Alabama ranch home at 20 to come to the Amazon, but we never find out why. Which kind of irked me. But we get enough info on Jillian’s past to satisfy me and I have to say that I really liked her character. I’m beginning to think that Howard just writes great heroines. Jillian was another strong heroine who managed to stay out of the stupid zone. She listened to Ben when he told her to stay out of the kill zone and didn’t go running around trying to find him when bullets started flying. Instead she did what she was told and dove for cover and I believe that even if Ben had kicked the bucket that Jillian would’ve been resourceful enough to make it out of the jungle on her own.

As for the bad guys, I liked Kates better as the main villain than Dutra. I thought Kates was better, because we got to know the reason for him funding this excursion and why he planned to off the Ben and Jillian. So I didn’t like the way Howard got rid of his character. I know Dutra was the more villainous of the two, but Kates had all the motives for wanting them all dead. Dutra was a bit too much of a horror movie killer stereotype, because the bastard wouldn’t die. You think he’s dead, but nope he comes back to try and off Jillian and Ben one more time. I probably wouldn’t have had a problem with him if he had better motives for running around killing people.

Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Jillian Sherwood's career has hit a major roadblock. As an archaeologist, most people in the industry only see her as "Crackpot Sherwood's" daughter, due to her father's fascination with myths, particularly that of the Amazon. After being turned down for a major archeological gig, Jillian decides to read her father's meticulous notes on the myth of the lost Anzar civilization. Much to her amazement, she finds in his journals that the civilization did in fact exist and that her father had coded a map on how to find it. Determined to clear her father's name, Jillian heads south to Brazil to find the Anzar. Unfortunately, she makes the mistake of informing her brother Rick, who only fantasizes of finding lost treasure. Rick enlists the sketchy Kates to help fund the exploration in exchange for some of the lost treasure. Rick and Kates decide to hire our hero, Ben, as a guide through the Amazon rainforest.

Right off the bat, Jillian and Ben do not get along. There is just too much sexual tension between them for this trip to be comfortable. When Ben realizes Kates has hired Dutra, a known hit man, along for the journey, he vows to protect Jillian. The two eventually succumb to their desires and team up against Kates and Dutra. There is a bit of disagreement towards the end about what to do with a precious gem that had been found at the lost city, but this is wrapped up pretty quickly. Other than that minor hiccup, this story is a fast mix of adventure and romance. I appreciated both characters' intelligence, which was very much a part of both of their personalities.

Be forewarned that this book is a lot more...risqué than traditional romance novels. The sex scenes were a bit more graphic than most, but still very well written. This was such a fun read! ( )
  jnp1013 | Nov 5, 2014 |
This is probably one of my favorite LH books. I absolutely adore Ben and Jillian. Ben is quite possibly my favorite male character ever. He's just so MALE!

Even after after all these years this book really held up well. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
When Jillian Sherwood came into Ben Lewis' life both of them would never be the same again. Ben is an adventurer and she's a practical archaeologist, trying to find a hidden city her father may have found out about, something that he died trying to find and left his reputation in tatters; a reputation that has haunted her as well.

The two main characters are great fun, interesting and quite down-to-earth, though there are depths unexplored occasionally. I enjoyed the read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 9, 2010 |

Linda Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A fabulous lost Amazon city once inhabited by women warriors and containing a rare red diamond: it sounded like myth, but archeologist Jillian Sherwood believed it was real, and she was willing to put up with anything to find it -- even Ben Lewis. Ruffian, knock-about, and number one river guide in Brazil, Ben was all man -- over six feet of rock-hard muscles that rippled under his khakis, with lazy blue eyes that taunted her from his tanned face. Jillian watched him come to a fast boil when she refused to reveal their exact destination upriver in the uncharted rain forests -- and resolved to stand her ground. Neither of them could foresee what the days ahead promised: an odyssey into the fiery heart of passion and betrayal, and a danger that would force them to cast their fates together, immersed in the eternal, unsolved mysteries of love....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671019740, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

"A fabulous lost Amazon city once inhabited by women warriors and containing a rare red diamond: it sounded like myth, but archeologist Jillian Sherwood believed it was real, and she was willing to put up with anything to find it--even Ben Lewis."--Container.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible