Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard

Mr. Perfect (2000)

by Linda Howard

Recently added byprivate library, Tsprouse, CurlUpAndRead, CindyBooks, hpl83332, 1stavenue

It's too late to write a review now, but just in case I forget later:

I loved it!!

“His mouth was hot and hungry, and he kissed the way no man should kiss and still be allowed to run free.”

It has steam, a likable heroine, a hot cop neighbour, suspense, mystery, humor and it was just a book I really needed to read right now.

"I knew you were trouble the first time I saw you."
"What do you mean, trouble?"
She sat up, glaring back at him.
"I am not trouble! I'm a very nice person except when I have to deal with jerks!"
"You're the worst kind of trouble," he snapped. "You're marrying trouble.”

CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Mr. Perfect
4.5 Stars

Jaine Bright and three of her friends and co-workers get together one night and devise a list of the traits for the perfect man. When the list goes viral, the four women become the target of a deranged killer and Jaine turns to her sexy yet unpredictable neighbor, Detective Sam Donovan, for help. Will they be able to unmask the killer before its too late?

My initial attempt at reading this book as a teen was a dismal failure probably due to the slow build up at the beginning (which is a characteristic of the author’s writing style). However, I’ve recently read and enjoyed other books by Howard, and as this one fit into a challenge, I decided to give it another go and I’m really glad I did.

The first half of the book falls into the contemporary romance genre with the development of Jaine and Sam’s love/hate relationship. With their witty banter leading to numerous laugh-out-loud moments and their incredible chemistry, Jaine and Sam set the pages on fire.

The second half is more romantic suspense as Jaine and her friends are targeted by a killer. In this respect, premise of a list of the perfect man’s attributes is compelling, however, the strong negative reactions that the women receive is more suited to the eighties than the noughties when this book was published. That said, the serial killer subplot is intense (although it is easy to guess the identity of the culprit and their motive) and the climax and resolution are exciting and action packed.

In sum, Mr. Perfect isn’t a perfect read by any stretch of the imagination, but it is well written with a smart and engaging heroine, a sexy and confident hero, well developed secondary characters and an entertaining suspense story. I really need to give books a second chance more often. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I really enjoyed Sam and Jaine's interactions. The Chemistry was great! It was a good quick read for me! ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
4.5 "What Does the Perfect Man Mean to You" Stars for the story and 5 stars for the narration!

Proving that a great romance is timeless, Linda Howard's Mr. Perfect, first published in 2000, was pretty near close to perfect. Yes, there were the occasional markers that undoubtedly branded this romance gem with some antiquated technology device references (who remembers answering machines, when cell phones were optional, and caller id required a little machine attachment rather than being built-in to your phone?), but the witty banter and raw appeal between the hero and heroine was exactly what I look for in a top-favorite romance. Moreover, Ms. Howard works double time and also manages to mix in a good dose of suspense to further enhance this home library, romance shelf keeper! As if this weren't reason enough to dust off your old copy of Mr. Perfect, or indulge in purchasing a brand new copy, Laura Hick's fabulously, gifted narration makes this a story that is a fantastic audiobook pick!

Ladies the world over have at one time or another pondered the question: What kind of man would be the perfect man? But when 4 co-workers, after a few drinks imbibed after work, decide to put pen to paper with their list of Mr. Perfect attributes, "the List" sky-rockets to instant fame. Not only is their whole workplace buzzing with the gossip of what did and didn't make the list, but even the media takes notice and starts hounding the ladies for interviews and guest appearances. However, not all the attention is good, and when the Mr. Perfect list hits a raw nerve with an individual who takes the list as a personal insult, the girls' bit of fun takes a potentially deadly turn.

Fortunately, for Jaine Bright, one of the four list makers and the main heroine from the Mr. Perfect romantic arc perspective, she has one rather irritating and yet equal parts alluring neighbor (Sam Donovan) who may just be the answer to this potentially dangerous situation. Sam Donovan is the kind of alpha hero romance readers swoon over, and a police detective to boot, so he gets right on the case and makes it his top priority to ensure Jaine's safety. But will he be successful with a seriously unbalanced predator on the loose? Moreover, with the dangerous matter at hand, not too mention their volatile interactions together, does Sam stand a chance of being Jaine's Mr. Perfect?

See the full review at BJ's Reviews.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. eStories.com allows anyone to download audiobooks. Check out their audiobooks free trial! ( )
  B.J.O. | Jan 21, 2017 |
I'm not a big humor fan, as most humor is lost on me, but the humor in Mr Perfect by Linda Howard was great. I had so many laugh out loud moments. I really enjoyed the characters, the friendship, humor, and sexy side of the story, which were all blended so well together. I can't believe it took me so long to read this one. ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |

Martín Sanz, M. CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pignatti, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruggi, I.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanz, Cristina MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
C'est parfaitement grotesque !

What would make the perfect man?

That's the deliciously racy topic that Jaine Bright and her three girlfriends are pondering one night at their favorite after-hours of spot: Mr. Perfect. Would he be tall, dark, and handsome? Caring and warmhearted--or will just muscular do? As their conversation heats up, they concoct a tongue-in-cheek checklist that becomes an overnight sensation, spreading like wildfire at work and sizzling along e-mail lines. But what began as a joke among friends turns deadly serious when one of the four women is murdered.... Turning to her neighbor, an unpredictable police detective, for help, Jaime must unmask a killer to save her friends--and herself. Now, knowing whom to trust and whom to love is a matter of survival--as the dream of Mr. Perfect becomes a chilling nightmare.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027573, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Warren, Michigan, present day

Sensuality: 8

Jaine Bright and three close friends share dinner one night and during casual conversation, create a list of qualifications for the perfect man--some logical, some hilariously funny, some racy. Within days, their tongue-in-cheek wish list of attributes for Mr. Perfect has been leaked to the press and the resultant publicity is overwhelming. Coworkers, TV crews, and reporters barrage the quartet with comments and criticism.

As if Jaine doesn't have enough to cope with, she has a new neighbor who she suspects is a criminal. She's relieved to learn that her neighbor is really an undercover cop, but she's still wary--because smart, sexy Sam Donovan handles her sharp witticisms with easy humor, and Jaine suspects that he may threaten her heart. What Jaine doesn't know is that she's about to need Sam desperately for something other than romance because her circle of friends is in big trouble. Unfortunately, that list of qualifications for Mr. Perfect has touched off a madman's rage. All of their lives are threatened and some of them are going to die, maybe all of them, if Sam can't stop the unknown killer.

Mr. Perfect brings to readers the quintessential Linda Howard hero, whose straightforward, "me Tarzan, you Jane" attitude plays well with a smart, witty heroine. The rapid-fire dialogue between the two is downright hilarious at times, even when the two are about to steam up the windows and burn up the sheets. It's difficult to balance this kind of humor and sensuality with edgy suspense, but Howard manages it with aplomb. If you enjoyed Heart of Fire and Dream Man, you're going to love this latest novel. It's drop-dead wonderful.--Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

That's the deliciously racy topic that Jaine Bright and her three girlfriends are pondering one night at their favorite after-hours hot spot: Mr. Perfect. Would he be tall, dark, and handsome? Caring and warmhearted--or will just muscular do? As their conversation heats up, they concoct a tongue-in-cheek checklist that becomes an overnight sensation, spreading like wildfire at work and sizzling along e-mail lines. But what began as a joke among friends turns deadly serious when one of the four women is murdered...Turning to her neighbor, an unpredictable police detective, for help, Jaine must unmask a killer to save her friends--and herself. Now, knowing whom to trust and whom to love is a matter of survival--as the dream of Mr. Perfect becomes a chilling nightmare.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,537,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible