White Lies by Linda Howard

White Lies (edition 2003)

by Linda Howard

Series: Rescues (4)

Title:White Lies
Authors:Linda Howard
Info:Mira (2003), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages

White Lies by Linda Howard

I just love it when a book pulls me in to the point I completely forget about time! I absorbed this one in a single setting. There was something special about the connection between Lucas and Jay that drew me in. Linda Howard excels at making her couples emotionally rich and this one gets it right! I loved Jay's strength and her commitment, even though she was facing a lot of her own issues during Steve's rehabilitation. By being there for him when he needed her, I believe it enhanced their relationship tremendously, increasing the intimacy and suspense during the last half of the book. Very enjoyable! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | May 2, 2016 |
4 "A Love Born Out of a Will to Survive" Stars for the story and 4.5 Stars for Lesa Lockford's Narration!

Lovers of old-school romance alpha heroes will be the most enthralled with White Lies. Featuring a bossy, and yet delicious in his own highly protective way, alpha hero and a good side dose of suspense; White Lies kept me fully enthralled in its plot throughout the entire story.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this title, White Lies was first released in print by Linda Howard in 1988. Therefore it should be no surprise that some of the subject matter seems a little dated. For example, there is a reference to a pay phone, and a reference to the woman being "in charge of the cooking"--though in all fairness, the hero does offer to help with the cleaning of the dishes, and the heroine is an investment banker. So, while not an ancient feel, it still very much has a 1980s feel to it.

Additionally, to believe in the suspense angle of book, you will have to suspend all recent science/technology knowledge in more current crime solving techniques (for example, a big premise of this book is that the only means of identifying a man who had been disfigured and his fingerprints removed is by individual identification by someone who knew him). But putting all that aside, I still have to admit that the suspense held my attention and the romance seemed genuine and emotionally charged.

Jay Granger is already having one of the worst days imaginable having just learned that she is being pushed out of her investment banking job to make way for the much less deserving son of one of the firm's partners. Her only fault having been to outperform her successor in every way. It is amidst this backdrop that she gets quite the unexpected call letting her know that her ex-husband may have been involved in a terrible explosion, and they need her to come to the Naval hospital in Bethesda to identify him.

Even though they have not been in contact for years--due to his carefree ways and her nearly total dedication to her job--Jay rushes to the hospital, and thus begins her vigil. Once there, Jay feels such a strong connection to this man, who she identifies as her ex-husband, Steve (the authorities explained that the only other person in the explosion was an FBI agent and they needed to know which man lay in the hospital), that she determines to stay by his side until he recovers. Given his extensive injuries, and the fact that the authorities explain that Steve has no other family or close friends, thus begins a several month period in which Jay and Steve bond first by touch (due to vocal damage) and then slowly by speech and lastly by sight after Steve has surgery to recover his eye sight.

However, even after Steve recovers, all is not well as he has amnesia, and the authorities believe that he is not safe from the man who masterminded the explosion. Moreover, by association, Jay is also equally in the cross-hairs. Thus begins the race against time to find the bad guy while Steve and Jay hide, and slowly little by little Steve begins to recover his memory. Can a HEA possibly flourish from such unlikely circumstances?

Further enhancing this audiobook is the above-average narration by Lesa Lockford. Showing an ease with creating multiple different voices for the many characters, I never needed to rely on dialogue tags. Moreover each one of the characters was perfectly in tune with the personality characteristics that Miss Howard had written for them.

Additionally Ms. Lockford impressed me with the expert care she took at noting additional details, such as varying the tone or sound of the different characters voices depending on the particular scene being enacted. For example, during the hero's recovery, his voice is characterized as sounding particularly hoarse and Ms. Lockford did an expert job of making him sound just like Miss Howard had described him, and then slowly improving the sound quality of his voice as he slowly recovered.

All in all, I really enjoyed the magnetism of the delicious alpha hero (though I have to admit that at times he bordered close to the bossy, machismo that dominated my parents' generation) and the strong heroine. The characters truly fit well with one another. Although the suspense was a much more minor part of the book, and required suspension of current DNA knowledge, I also appreciated trying to sleuth what "white lies" Ms. Howard was keeping hidden throughout the scenes that ultimately lead to the attraction and joining of the hero and heroine.

Source: Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  B.J.O. | Apr 17, 2016 |
Continuing on with my LH re-reads, I'm working my way through the Kell Sabin series. I started with Midnight Rainbow, then skipped to this book because I couldn't find Diamond Bay (which I found and am in the middle of now).

I really like this novel. You wouldn't think a romance about a man in a coma could work, but it really does. Both Jay and her hero are so well written, it's like we're right there with them. I love the intensity of the hero, along with the fierce protectiveness of Jay. A great novel all the way around. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
One of the sequels to Diamond Bay that offers love, suspense, and the little fibs that make people happy and keep others alive. Could you recognize a man swaddled in bandages as your ex-husband? Would you put your life on hold to help him (even if he might not be the man you once loved?) ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
In ranking the worst days of her life, this one probably wasn't number one, but it was definitely in the top three.

You don't argue with the FBI. So when they summoned Jay to identify her gravely injured, heavily bandaged ex-husband, she agreed to keep a bedside vigil.
Strangely, even unconscious, Steve wasn't at all like the husband she remembered. As he struggled toward awareness, he demonstrated a strength of character, a manly power, the old Steve had lacked. Ironically, she was more drawn to him than ever.
When Steve finally awoke, Jay had a unique chance to recapture -- and even embellish -- the past. But would the new Steve ever share her cherished memories?
* * *

Escorted by the FBI to her ex-husband''s beds ide, Jay Granger is unprepared for her reaction. Something''s different. Even unconscious, this man is more dangerous tha n she remembers. Is this the man she''d married, or a total s tranger? '

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

Jay Granger knows that the man lying in the bed is not her amnesiac ex-husband, despite his sincere belief he is, but when Jay becomes entangled in a web of danger and duplicity, it becomes impossible to escape her uncertain future. Reprint.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible