White Lies by Linda Howard

White Lies (edition 2003)

by Linda Howard

Series: Rescues (4)

Member:annettemc
Title:White Lies
Authors:Linda Howard
Info:Mira (2003), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages

White Lies by Linda Howard

Continuing on with my LH re-reads, I'm working my way through the Kell Sabin series. I started with Midnight Rainbow, then skipped to this book because I couldn't find Diamond Bay (which I found and am in the middle of now).

I really like this novel. You wouldn't think a romance about a man in a coma could work, but it really does. Both Jay and her hero are so well written, it's like we're right there with them. I love the intensity of the hero, along with the fierce protectiveness of Jay. A great novel all the way around. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
One of the sequels to Diamond Bay that offers love, suspense, and the little fibs that make people happy and keep others alive. Could you recognize a man swaddled in bandages as your ex-husband? Would you put your life on hold to help him (even if he might not be the man you once loved?) ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
I think I liked the idea of this story more than the actual story. Like many novellas, it's only so-so, good for killing a couple of hours but not something you'd read more than once. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Mar 24, 2010 |
I'd been putting this one off because, in general, I'm not a fan of Linda Howard's writing style. Add to it that it's a 10-year-old reissue of a 16-year-old category romance, and I'd have been content to let it just stay in the TBR pile forever.

But it pushed my guilty pleasures buttons, and I'm glad I read it.

Jay is a divorced woman (yes, it was written in 1988, and this book follows the convention of giving the heroine's masculine names. I think the idea was to show how manly... er... strong and independent they are. I've always found it irritating.), on the verge of losing her job to nepotism, when government agents approach her regarding her ex-husband Steve.

Seems Steve and one of their agents were in an explosion. One died, and the other's in a coma. Both bodies are too damaged for the agents to identify them, so they ask Jay to help. The injured and unconsious man responds to Jay's presence, and she gives them a tentative "well, it might be Steve" and they're very eager to accept that as a positive identification.

The agents are also eager to keep Jay by his side, and the doctor agrees, as her presence positively affects his vital signs (lowers his blood pressure, I'm guessing). They give her an offer she can't refuse: they'll provide an apartment for her and pay her a salary so she can quit her job and devote her time to "Steve."

When he wakes up, he has amnesia.

I think that's as far as I'll go--there are more developments, but we're getting into spoiler territory here, and even though the developments are pretty obvious, I don't want to ruin them.

White Lies is in some ways a quintessential romance, especially of its time period. The situations are unbelievable even to the most credulous, and border on the ridiculous, and the romance itself is rather naive, fairy-tale-ish. For example, Jay's willing to ditch her entire life based on the fact that she's been told that the injured man's eyes are brown underneath the bandages, and she's unwilling to peek under the sheets even once, because that would be violating his privacy (???).

But here's why I enjoyed reading it: I'm a sucker for secret agent intrigue, and for amnesia stories. I think it's the mystery about it that grabs me. I got sucked in wondering why the agents were so eager to have her identify the man as Steve, and of course the falling in love with someone you can't see is hugely romantic, like the story Gwen tells about herself and Newton in House Sitter.

Even more fun is when... okay, it's a spoiler, but if you didn't see this coming, I worry about you... both of them realize that he's not Steve, but each decides to keep the truth a secret to protect the other.

I had so much fun, I didn't even notice the problem I've had with Howard's writing style--maybe it wasn't there, or isn't present in all her books, or it developed later. Anyway, I'm glad I read this, but it's not going to convince me to look for more.
  Darla | Nov 21, 2008 |
In ranking the worst days of her life, this one probably wasn't number one, but it was definitely in the top three.

You don't argue with the FBI. So when they summoned Jay to identify her gravely injured, heavily bandaged ex-husband, she agreed to keep a bedside vigil.
Strangely, even unconscious, Steve wasn't at all like the husband she remembered. As he struggled toward awareness, he demonstrated a strength of character, a manly power, the old Steve had lacked. Ironically, she was more drawn to him than ever.
When Steve finally awoke, Jay had a unique chance to recapture -- and even embellish -- the past. But would the new Steve ever share her cherished memories?
* * *

Escorted by the FBI to her ex-husband''s beds ide, Jay Granger is unprepared for her reaction. Something''s different. Even unconscious, this man is more dangerous tha n she remembers. Is this the man she''d married, or a total s tranger? '

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:07 -0400)

Jay Granger knows that the man lying in the bed is not her amnesiac ex-husband, despite his sincere belief he is, but when Jay becomes entangled in a web of danger and duplicity, it becomes impossible to escape her uncertain future. Reprint.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,260,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible