Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids, and a…

Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids, and a Journey to the Ends of the Earth

by Daniel Glick

I enjoyed this book and found myself telling several people about it after I finished reading it. It was particularly refreshing to witness such vulnerability in a man who finds himself in the wake of several significant losses. Daniel Glick's ability to reflect on his own process of healing while describing the full range of challenges that he navigates with his children on such an ambitious trip makes for interesting reading. Being married to an ecology professor, I was also impressed by his knowledge of the natural world and the science surrounding the loss of habitat. I would recommend this book. ( )
  franklinki | Feb 2, 2015 |
This was a very interesting book. I feel the father was trying to hard to be a "friend" to his children, as opposed to ever being an authority, even when the situation called for it. All in all, I felt he really wanted to be a good dad. The story was great. If only we all had the money to travel the world. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Jan 7, 2009 |
A story of a father and his 9 and 13 year olds journey around the world and their adventures along the way. Or so I thought. I knew they left on their trip so that Daniel could sort through the tragic events of his previous 2 years, and really, this is what most of the story was about in my reading. 2/3 grief and loss, father lamenting over how poorly his kids get along with each other / him / and how little they appreciate stuff, letting his 13 year old son buy/do drugs not once, not twice, but three times. And then 1/3 adventures. I cannot be too crititcal - the concept was amazing, the adventure parts were great but the thought process was jumbled and not what I had hoped. ( )
  slkrbru | Apr 25, 2008 |
This was an Amazon.com 2003 editors pick, and a good pick too. Monkey Dancing is a charming story of a father and his two pre-teen children. After several life changing events, the author decides to take his two pre-teen children on a world adventure. He wants his children to experience vanishing species and places in the world that are changing at a much too rapid pace. While on the trip the family undergoes some changing family dynmaics and a father forges a new relationship with his kids. The writing is clear and flows fluently. Read this travel tale of vanishing forests, exotic foods, and dealing with the forming of a new family in foreign lands. ( )
  eo206 | Mar 29, 2008 |

A suddenly single father--and nationally known environmental reporter--takes his children on a world tour of some of the world's rare and endangered life forms while reckoning with loss, change, and the challenges of parenting in this frank, funny, moving memoir. After the death of his brother and the sudden end of his marriage, and after his ex-wife moved to another state leaving him alone with their two young children, Dan Click embarked on single fatherhood in an unusual way: he took his kids on a journey around the world. The idea was to go see some of the world's rare life forms before they disappeared from the planet, and to do it before the kids themselves would grow up and chart their own paths. In the summer of 2001 Dan, Zoe, and Kolya took off from Colorado for a six-month journey on which they would see the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, the orangutans of Borneo, Javan Rhinos in Vietnam, the tigers of Nepal, and more. Meeting countless challenges--emotional, logistical and physical--the threesome shared experiences they could not have imagined and would not soon forget. Glick weaves accounts of their encounters with the natural world--and each other--with intimate reflections on his own reckoning with loss, change, and fatherhood, illuminating the commonalities between our relationships with each other, and our relationship with the earth we inhabit. For anyone who dreams of travelling to the world's most exotic places, for anyone already navigating that wild journey called parenting. Monkey Dancing is by turns fascinating, funny, and wise.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,829,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible