Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney…

Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family

by Sydney Taylor

This wasn't as bad as Downtown but it wasn't very good, either. The illustrations were terrible. Seriously bad. The story is not fresh, the plot line is predictable. It's more or less phoned in.

Interesting how the bad books in this series are accompanied by the bad illustrations. Or what look to me like bad illustrations. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I remembered this being not nearly as good as the rest of the series and, for once, I remembered correctly. While the central dilemma Ella faces is an interesting one, the charm of the earlier books isn’t present. I especially missed the illustrations. ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | May 9, 2012 |
Ella, the oldest of the All-of-a-kinds, is grown up and in love, but still wants to try her wings as a singer and performer. In this book she goes on the stage and discovers what her true calling is. Not as good as the other books, but still nice. I wish the series hadn't ended here. ( )
  Bjace | Sep 24, 2011 |
The last in the All of a Kind series and somehow it was lacking a lot of the charm of the earlier volumes. The main focus was on eighteen year old Ella, the eldest and her decision to star in a vaudeville production in pursuit of a music career.

To top it all off, Mama is expecting another child and while I realize that in that era it wasn't all that rare to have kids that were as much as eighteen years apart, I just felt it was a contrived plot device and since the book ended before Mama had the baby, I wonder, 'why bother?' ( )
  neferset | May 29, 2008 |

World War I has ended, and Ella, the oldest of the five sisters, who dreams of singing and dancing in the theater, is discovered by a Broadway talent scout. It seems that she will have her chance at a theatrical career after all, starting in vaudeville. But her thoughts are also on Jules, just returned from the War, and marriage. Once again a loving family provides the support needed to make the right decision.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:27 -0400)

When Jules comes to see her after his return from the war, Ella finds it difficult to have some time alone with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible