Joheved by Maggie Anton

Joheved, the daughter of a Jewish scholar finds herself caught between her parents when she desires to learn Talmud. While her father is ecstatic to teach her, his mother believes that a learned woman will never make an appropriate marriage match. Despite her mother's objections, Joheved and her sister Miriam begins learning Torah. When local merchants help her father set up a Yeshiva (school), Joheved becomes betrothed to Meir ben Samuel.

I thought this was a very interesting and exciting book. Let me say that I am an atheist. I did not think the book was preachy. I really saw it more as a cultural book rather than a religious book. I have already purchased the other 2 books in the series and am looking forward to reading them. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Oct 17, 2014 |
Fascinating glimpse into the eleventh century both in France and in the Judaic quarter. Highly recommend this series! ( )
  talenoree | Aug 2, 2014 |
wishlist
  cavlibrary | Jan 27, 2014 |
ebook
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is such a good book! Well written, compelling story. I learned a good deal about life for the Jewish population in France at the time of the story. I heartily recommend this book ( )
  JanicsEblen | Mar 12, 2012 |
In Loving Memory of My Mother
ANNE S. ANTON EINSTEIN
Like Rashi,
A teacher of teachers

The first two novels in a dramatic trilogy set in eleventh-century France about the lives and loves of three daughters of the great Talmud scholar

In 1068, the scholar Salomon ben Isaac returns home to Troyes, France, to take over the family winemaking business and embark on a path that will indelibly influence the Jewish world?writing the first Talmud commentary, and secretly teaching Talmud to his daughters.

Joheved, the eldest of his three girls, finds her mind and spirit awakened by religious study, but, knowing the risk, she must keep her passion for learning and prayer hidden. When she becomes betrothed to Meir ben Samuel, she is forced to choose between marital happiness and being true to her love of the Talmud.

Rich in period detail and drama, Joheved is a must read for fans of Tracy Chevalier?s Girl With a Pearl Earring.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:51 -0400)

Joheved finds her mind and spirit awakened by religious study, but knowing the risk, she must keep her passion for learning and prayer hidden. When she becomes betrothed, she is forced to choose between marital happiness and being true to her love of the Talmud.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible