The Elizas by Sara Shepard

The Elizas

by Sara Shepard

Eliza and Dot - one is a real person, and the other is a character in Eliza’s book.

The similarities are striking and a bit confusing.

We follow both Eliza and Dot as they move through situations both in real life and in Eliza's book.

The book begins as Eliza was pulled out of a swimming pool, and no one believes that it was an accident since she previously tried to commit suicide. Doctors and family members also question her story and her memory about many things, but are they just trying to make her think she can’t remember things?

THE ELIZAS was odd, but interesting. The characters seemed to be trying to put Eliza in a bad light even though Eliza’s publicist met with her and said the stunt with the pool was a brilliant tactic for publicity.

Were they really worried about Eliza or their book sales? Was anyone really worried about Eliza or just themselves?

Eliza couldn't let everyone think she had purposely jumped in the pool and was more interested in clearing up the story the police are telling everyone about the pool incident than worrying about publicity for her book.

Each chapter was titled Eliza or Dot, and the ending of the chapters about Eliza seemed to have someone questioning her memory. When Eliza asks a question about a situation since she can't remember, the other characters confirm that it is someone she knew or a situation that had happened. Each chapter parallels each other with a similar situation for each character.

THE ELIZAS was a psychological fest. Did I or didn't I do that? Did I or didn't I remember that situation? Is the character in my book really me?

THE ELIZAS was a bit confusing at first and kept me guessing. Once a few things were revealed, the tension mounted and things came together, but the oddness continued.

More than one story seemed to be going on at once throughout the book.

Be patient and read carefully when you read THE ELIZAS. You never know who may be lurking. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  SilversReviews | Apr 26, 2018 |
few years ago I watched an episode of Pretty Little Liars. I had not read the books or watched the series from the beginning. I'm not even sure why it was exactly that I ended up watching PLL, but there I was, watching it. Loving it. The psychological thriller had me on the edge of my seat. And while I still haven't read the books, one day I will, I can imagine how fantastic they are since the series was so good.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to read Sara Shepard's latest book, The Elizas. It was described as a "Hitchcockian double narrative filled with lies, false memories, and a protagonist that must uncover the truth for survival." I knew I needed this book in my life right then and there.

Eliza wakes up in the hospital surrounded by her family. She learns that she was found unconscious in a pool and her family believes that she tried to kill herself . . . again. But Eliza is positive that someone pushed her into the pool. However, Eliza is having a hard time recalling exactly what happened because she was drunk. Desperate to find out the truth, Eliza begins to investigate what happened that night--certain that someone is after her.

The Elizas is cleverly written, stay-up-all-night-to-find-out-what-happened psychological thriller. I say stay up all night because that's what I did. Yes, I was exhausted the next day, but it was so worth it. I love Shepards writing; I love the characters; I love the plot. This is a book that you definitely need to acquire and read as soon as possible. You won't regret it! Though you might want to read it on the weekend, so you don't show up exhausted for work the next day. 😄

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2018/04/review-elizas-by-sara-shepard.html#mMlR... ( )
  mt256 | Apr 23, 2018 |
Budding novelist Eliza Fontaine has a complicated past and things become even more complicated when she is found at the bottom of the pool at the Tranquility resort in Palm Springs. Eliza's family believes the worst, another failed suicide attempt, just like the previous attempts before her brain tumor was removed. However, Eliza is positive that she had been pushed this time. No one seems to believe her except for her rescuer, Desmond who thinks he saw someone fleeing the scene. Eliza desperately tries to put the pieces together from her night at the Tranquility, but she has severe memory lapses. The more she tries to dig, the more pieces she finds missing. With the impending release of her novel, The Dots, Eliza keeps finding more similarities between herself and her main character, Dot, and has trouble separating the fact from fiction.

The Elizas is a thrilling, addictive mystery that dives into the mysteries of the mind and memory. From the beginning Eliza is presented as an unreliable narrator, however that didn't stop me from sympathizing with her cause and rooting for her to untangle the web of lies and foggy memories that surrounded her. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to read both Eliza's narrative as well as her book, The Dots. The story line playfully and ingeniously bounced back and forth between the two plots interweaving Eliza's and Dot's story in the reader's mind just as they had become entwined in Eliza's. At first The Dots seems like a nice bonus story, although as the book progresses, I found that The Dots offered more insight into Eliza's character than her own narrative. Overall, a tantalizing story with intriguing characters that will keep you on your toes.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Apr 16, 2018 |

Unable to convince anyone that she was pushed before she was rescued from the bottom of a hotel pool, a rising author struggling with depression and memory loss begins to question her sanity as elements from her debut novel mix up with events in her real life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,136,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible