Fum by Adam Rapp

Fum

by Adam Rapp

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thicker than previous Rapp books but flowed fast. Enjoyed the characters and found them bitter sweet. Enjoyed it so much that I didn't want it to end. Not for those into cookie cutter YA lit. ( )
  MEPurfield | Sep 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book delightful; the reviews that pan it are too harsh. I was quickly drawn into Corinthia's plight and found the story very engaging. Yes, there were some parts where the kids in her school were mean to her--but that was part of the poignancy. Yes, I found that there were questions I still wanted the answers to when I finished the book, but they simply left me waiting for the sequel. ( )
  eggsnhm | Jul 15, 2018 |
Literary merit: poor
Characterization: poor
Recommend: No
Level: High School

This is not a book your library collection will miss. Adam Rapp’s Fum spends most of its time fumbling around trying to decide what it wants to be. I do not think many teens will be interested in finishing this book. I spends an exorbitant amount of time focusing on the adults in Corinthia Bledsoe’s(main character) life. We get whole chapters on her mother, father, teachers and more. We don’t get enough about how Corintihia feels which is disappointing because she is the most interesting character. A teen with a genetic condition that makes her over 7 feet tall. She has a lot that could be shed on this condition. Instead we get a wandering narrative that also makes her a clairvoyant and outcast.
I also cannot pin down what time this book is supposed to take place in. Is it present? The mother is on Instagram. There are passages from a 2015 letter. But then there are weird acknowledgments like a teen girl using a banana clip in her hair. I don’t think anyone has used a banana clip since the 90’s. And then also the weird mention of Lynn’s Paradise Café a destination for the mother who goes in to buy candy. Lynn’s Paradise Café in Louisville, Kentucky has been closed since 2013. It’s been closed for 5 years. I am so confused.
The book has the weird feeling of Jack Gantos’ The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs or Donnie Darko. However, it feels dated and is not recommended. ( )
  SWONroyal | Jun 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, in one hand i really liked this book. In the other hand....
Quirky, cute, a fun read. However, there was a lot left out as far as unanswered questions and story lines that just sort of dropped off. Maybe if there is a part 2 some things will be answered but for now i am only giving 3 stars because there was just to much that was left unanswered ( )
  AngelaFries | Feb 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mean-spirited and depressing for the sake of being depressing. Adam Rapp has written far better novels—check out Punkzilla or The Children and the Wolves instead, or if you want another story of a bizarre town mistreating a disabled person that actually treats its characters with respect, try Marieke Nijkamp's Before I Let Go. ( )
1 vote kimby365 | Feb 20, 2018 |

Over seven feet tall and with a newfound ability to sense future events, Corinthia Bledsoe is far more than just another Midwestern high-school junior: she is a force of nature. When she predicts with terrifying accuracy the outcome of a tornado that will hit her high school, leaving a cow standing midcourt in the Lugo Memorial field house, Corinthia finds herself at the epicenter of another kind of storm entirely.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Adam Rapp's book Fum is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible