Reconcilable Differences: A 'Having It…

Reconcilable Differences: A 'Having It All' Novel (edition 2016)

by M A Clarke Scott (Author)

831,440,509 (4.7)None
Member:MAClarkeScott
Title:Reconcilable Differences: A 'Having It All' Novel
Authors:M A Clarke Scott (Author)
Info:West Wind Books (2016), Edition: 1, 366 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:women's fiction, second chance romance, mediation, marriage, trauma, memory, yoga

Reconcilable Differences (Having It All Book 1) by M A Clarke Scott

A big thanks to author Mary Ann Clarke Scott/M. A. Clarke Scott for providing me with a copy of her novel "Reconcilable Differences" to read in exchange for my honest review. This is the first book in her "Having it All" series about professional women in Vancouver, Canada struggling to balance careers, live, identity, family and home. Her descriptions of Vancouver are so charming... it's now on my list of places I need to visit! It took me several pages at the beginning to figure out what was going on but Kate is a professional mediator who helps couples reconcile through her facilitated discussions as a last effort before filing for divorce. She's settling into her first session with D'Arcy and Eli when their respective divorce attorneys arrive and she realizes Eli's attorney is her old love Simon from her university days. Kate's breakup with Simon was devastating because of some underlying emotional issues she has that are revealed later in the book and she recalls those years of therapy to get her feet back on solid ground. Even though Kate is in a relationship and Simon is married (but separated), the chemistry between them is still there. Kate struggles throughout the book with whether she's really in love with Simon or is she just reliving those strong feelings from when she was 19. And ironically, though Kate's job is to get to the bottom of the problem by listening to her clients and opening the avenues of communication, it takes Kate awhile to self analyze and realize she's not fully disclosing or communicating with Simon. A side story is whether Kate is creating an ethical violation in her mediation by not disclosing her relationship with Simon. Originally written in the 90s, some reviews stated it felt dated. Not realizing this when I read it, I took the quirks to be things unique to Vancouver. Clarke Scott paints with a descriptive pen and Simon's love for Thai food arose throughout the book making me hungry every time. The idyllic setting of Vancouver was picture perfect even when it rained for days on end. A good read if you're in the mood for a romance. ( )
  MyArmchairAdventures | Oct 18, 2017 |
I really thought going into this book that it was going to be your typical chic lit book but I was pleasantly surprised! I really loved this book. The characters were well rounded and developed through out the book nicely. I will definitely be reading more of this author's work. ( )
  JillKenna | Oct 11, 2017 |
Fate has a way of showing up unexpectedly for individuals to give them a second chance at having the HEA they’ve desired for so long.

One such person happens to Kate O’Day, who once had a beautiful HEA relationship with her college day’s lover, Simon Sharpe, which ended fifteen years ago when he thought Rachel was the woman he should marry and not Kate. But you know the way college kids are when they’re in love; especially the ones in romance novels. They’re usually rushing into things, especially when marriage is concerned. Naturally, Simon is not only separated from Rachel, he’s got their daughter who has to take care of without the influence of a mother around.

Kate didn’t let this traumatic incident in her life stop her moving on with her life, while still carrying the memories and baggage from her time with Simon. Instead, she found solace in putting all her efforts as a successful divorce mediator. In this capacity she rejoiced, knowing she might be the one who’s saving other couples’ HEA by getting them to realize that if they’re willing to iron out their differences, they’ll be able to save theirs.

Everything is fine regarding the divorce case she’s currently handling, that is until a change in the attorneys involved, and Simon shows up to complicate matters.

How can Kate proceed with this case, with all the memories she once had with Simon, and all the thoughts of what her life might be like now if she’d been able to marry him so many years, clouding her mind? Is there a spark still existing which might be able to rekindle the relationship they once had with each other? Can Kate hide all the emotions she’s feeling so they don’t interfere with what she needs to do to mediate this case so it doesn’t end in a divorce?

M. A. Clarke Scott has a marvelous job in making her story feel real that her readers can’t help but feel the emotions the female protagonist is feeling. The only problem I’ve got concerning the storyline is that in real life, both Simon and Kate should have excused themselves from being involved in this divorce case, given the emotional ties they’ve got for each other. But since this story is a romantic fictional novel, I’ll overlook this matter, because if it wasn’t for this faux pas, there would have been no story for us to read. So for having given her readers a second chance HEA, I’m giving this book 5 STARS. ( )
1 vote MyPenNameOnly | Sep 19, 2016 |

M A Clarke Scott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,062,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible