Montreal Noir (Akashic Noir) by John…

Montreal Noir (Akashic Noir)

by John McFetridge (Editor), Jacques Filippi (Editor)

Other authors: Samuel Archibald (Contributor), Michel Basilières (Contributor), Arjun Basu (Contributor), Tess Fragoulis (Contributor), Peter Kirby (Contributor)10 more, Geneviève Lefebvre (Contributor), Catherine Mckenzie (Contributor), Martin Michaud (Contributor), Robert Pobi (Contributor), Patrick Senécal (Contributor), Johanne Seymour (Contributor), Howard Shrier (Contributor), Brad Smith (Contributor), Ian Truman (Contributor), Melissa Yi (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

2211665,974 (4)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thoroughly enjoyable collection of stories. I admit that the first few seemed a bit slow to me, the rest gripped me and I enjoyed each one. ( )
  literatefool | Jun 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love all of the anthology books published by akashic that i have read. Montreal is no exception. All of the stories were a joy to read. ( )
  NickKnight | Apr 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first noir book I have seen. I could not get in to any of the stories, not because of the authors, but because I do not like the darkness of the themes.
  marilynsantiago | Dec 22, 2017 |
Montreal Noir is a collection of fifteen short stories centered on or around Montreal. Montreal is the center for Francophone Canada and this collection reflects that with a mix of stories written in English and French, It is one of the latest in the outstanding Akashic Noir Series of short story anthologies that takes readers to the cities of the world on a noir world tour.

Editors in these series sometimes go out of their way to include stories that are outside the conventional idea of noir, stretching the boundaries of noir as far as they possibly can. Editors Jacques Filippi and John McFetridge did not. Their stories are faithful to the noir tradition filled with murder, mayhem, and mystery.

There are some stories that will break your heart. The Suitcase Man, The Crap Magnet, and Milk Teeth. There were a couple of stories that were a bit too easy to figure out and Milk Teeth was one, even though it was heartbreaking. There were a couple that attempted misdirection but were too obvious. Other People’s Secrets, for example, is pretty obvious and the reveal was not that revealing. Poppa, too, was not surprising, but I still liked the story.

Montreal Noir is a great collection of short stories. There was not one story that I disliked, though some were grim and disturbing. Noir should be grim and disturbing. What made me most happy about this collection was the sure confidence of the editors. Some Akashic Noir editors make an effort to include non-mystery stories. I suppose they want us to understand noir is an aesthetic, a mood, not a genre. But sometimes it feels as though they think genre fiction is lesser fiction and that is wrong. There is nothing lesser about genre fiction so long as the writers of genre fiction write with honesty and integrity, and why would they not?

I received an e-galley of Montreal Noir from the publisher through Edelweiss
https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/9781617753459/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Nov 14, 2017 |
MONTREAL NOIR is one of the latest additions to Akashic Books Noir series. Each title is an anthology of stories, each story set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the respective city. (or state, as in MONTANA NOIR)
Each anthology follows a similar format - a map (love the map); a Table of Contents; an Introduction by the editors; and information about the authors - About the Contributors.
The Introduction is an integral part of the anthology - it is written by the editors and sets a tone; a sense of place; some historical context about the city or area/region.
The stories reflect noir qualities - cynicism, fatalism, moral ambiguity - a very bleak, pessimistic view of life.
MONTREAL NOIR consists of III Parts with 15 stories.
Contributors include Patrick Senecal, Genevieve Lefebvre, Samuel Archibald, Michel Basilieres, Arjun Basu, Ian Truman, Catherine McKenzie, Brad Smith, Peter Kirby, Robery Pobi, Johanne Seymour, Melissa Yi, Howard Shrier, Tess Fragoulis, and Martin Michaud.
The editors of MONTREAL NOIR are John McFetridge and Jacques Filippi.
Several stories were expertly translated from the French.
Highlights (for me) always include the Introduction and the map.
My reaction to “Such a pretty little girl” was Wow - what a story.
I loved the reference to the music of Les Cowboys Fringants blasting from the speakers at the Bar Saint-Laurent. This reference is from “The haunted crack house”. (I quite like this music and have several of their albums. The music reminds me of the tone and atmosphere of Montreal.)
There are 8 chapters in “The joke’s on you’. A great line on the first page of the story “He never wanted to be a bother, but he was a man worth making a bother for”.
Reading “Coyote” made my lips curl in disgust. A great ending for Boss-Man Ben Dubois.
“The Crap Magnet” by Peter Kirby. Just desserts was my comment.
Thank you to Akashic Books for making this ‘Advance Reading Copy’ available to me.
A great series. A great title. Great Noir. ( )
  diana.hauser | Nov 6, 2017 |

Smith, BradContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Truman, IanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yi, MelissaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

John McFetridge's book Montreal Noir is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,978,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible