Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Parable of the Sower (edition 1993)

by Octavia E. Butler

Collections:Your library, Favorites, Key books
Rating:*****
Tags:Dystopia, 1990s, African American, reread

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

The Postman by David Brin (infiniteletters)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (espertus)
    espertus: Another post-apocalyptic feminist novel, although unlike in Parable of the Sower, the religion/magic is real, not symbolic.
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (GCPLreader)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: IMO Year of the Flood is a much superior book
    The Girl Who Owned A City by O. T. Nelson (infiniteletters)
    Parable of the Talents by Octavia E. Butler (sturlington)
    Soft Apocalypse by Will Mcintosh (sturlington)
    When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (ellbeecee)
    ellbeecee: Near-future dystopian fiction that makes you consider what's going on and the various paths that could be taken.
    Morne Câpresse by Gisele Pineau (Dilara86)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Strong female teenagers traverse war-torn environments in the near future
    Galveston by Sean Stewart (amberwitch)
    Mind-Call by Wilanne Schneider Belden (infiniteletters)
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: A very different dystopia written by a very different African-American science fiction writer. Yet the intensity and humanity of Parable of the Sower are present as well in this much older book.
    Mara and Dann: An Adventure by Doris Lessing (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both featuring young female protagonists of colour, traveling north looking for a place to live after her society disintegrated, partially due to climatical changes.
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Both novels are about human connections formed in the face of unusual crises. Very competent and well-written, both books had much the same vibe about them
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.

English (64)  French (1)  All languages (65)
I read someone's review of this book and took a chance on it. Thought I'd put it down this afternoon after a few pages -- hah! Finished it at one ayem! A young woman finds a new way of believing, but much more importantly, finds a way to survive and possibly prosper in our sick world. A wonderful read that's made me think and ponder.
1 vote bobp0303 | May 26, 2015 |
Full blog post here, but excerpt below sums my thoughts. In a nutshell, I liked this book OK, but was woefully disappointed that I didn't love it, and thought it could have gone better in a number of ways.

"I found the heroine, Lauren, a little irritating (we follow her from about age 15 to age 18 and she is ridiculously and preternaturally more mature, intelligent, and on top of things than everyone around her, which I found a bit exasperating), but I liked her more than I didn't.

I would have liked some more world-building; there's some, but not what I had hoped for given the praise I heard for the book. The reasons for the collapse of civilization are left more than a bit unclear, for one. There wasn't as much plot as I'd hoped for, either. It was about surviving in a dystopian near-future (and founding a new religion), which you might think would be Enough Plot for me, and probably it should have been, but . . . I wanted a bit of something else driving the forward momentum of the story.

This could have been done in a number of ways — introducing a bit more self-doubt in Lauren would have been particularly compelling to me, as it would give her an internal challenge to overcome. Alternatively, she could have stolen a bit of character development from one of the secondary characters — one of these had an interesting arc wherein he really struggled to accept the brutalities of a dystopian reality (for instance, he struggled with the idea that he had to injure or even kill others). If this had been Lauren's arc, I also would have been more compelled by her. But I wasn't, because she was so smugly right all the time.

I think if I was more into dystopians as a genre I would have been really into this (and if you are into dystopians, you should definitely read this; it was way ahead of the curve, sort of the ur-dystopian, like 1984 or Brave New World), but I just wasn't. Again, I want to reiterate that this wasn't a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. It was smart and well written and thoughtful and everything good . . . I just wasn't into it, and I was disappointed because I really wanted to be." ( )
  pepperedmoth | Mar 7, 2015 |

pepperedmoth | Mar 7, 2015 |
When I read The Parable of the Talents before reading this book, I was afraid that I would be a little disappointed when I went back. I am, a little, but I wonder if I would have liked them better if I had read them in the correct order.

There is much of what I liked in The Parable of the Talents here, including how prescient it still seems fourteen years later. However, something about it seems less unified. Possibly it's because the bad times are really just beginning. Things have been going downhill for years with the climate and water shortages, and Lauren has been living in her walled neighborhood because of it, but the head of what will become known as Christian America is just becoming the president, and company towns run under slave-like conditions are just emerging. In general, the dangers Lauren and the rest of her group face are more in the way of random encounters along the road than a strong, centralized system. This might be what gives the entire story more the feeling of a series of events than a story with a beginning and an end. (Of course, it was not the end, but Butler didn't mean for The Parable of the Talents to be the end of the series, either, and its ending still felt satisfying.) ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Oct 19, 2014 |
Very interesting. She didn't delve into the political which is what brought this book up from 2 stars to 3. The story was a little flat, but the events are vivid and it really makes one think about what one might do in similar circumstances.

I can tell I would hold Ms Butler's political views in revulsion, but the fact that she chose to just tell a compelling story (albeit rather flatly)without getting into why, to me was a teastment to her story telling ability.

It's too bad I found the underlying premise a little lame.

DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |

Octavia E. Butlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyan, DeborahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey, DonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prodigy is, at its essence, adaptability and persistent, positive obsession. Without persistence, what remains is an enthusiasm of the moment. Without adaptability, what remains may be channeled into destructive fanaticism. Without positive obsession, there is nothing at all. -- EARTHSEED: THE BOOKS OF THE LIVING by Lauren Oya Olamina
All that you touch / You Change. / All that you Change / Changes You. / The only lasting truth / is Change. / God / Is Change. -- EARTHSEED: THE BOOKS OF THE LIVING
I had my recurring dream last night.

Set in a dystopian future, Parable of the Sower centers on a young woman who possesses what Butler dubbed as hyperempathy – the ability to feel the perceived pain and other sensations of others – who develops a benign philosophical and religious system during her childhood in the remnants of a gated community in Los Angeles. Civil society is near collapse due to resource scarcity and poverty. When the community's security is compromised, her home is destroyed and her family murdered. She travels north with some survivors to try to start a community where her religion, called Earthseed, can grow.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446675504, Paperback)

Octavia E. Butler, the grande dame of science fiction, writes extraordinary, inspirational stories of ordinary people. Parable of the Sower is a hopeful tale set in a dystopian future United States of walled cities, disease, fires, and madness. Lauren Olamina is an 18-year-old woman with hyperempathy syndrome--if she sees another in pain, she feels their pain as acutely as if it were real. When her relatively safe neighborhood enclave is inevitably destroyed, along with her family and dreams for the future, Lauren grabs a backpack full of supplies and begins a journey north. Along the way, she recruits fellow refugees to her embryonic faith, Earthseed, the prime tenet of which is that "God is change." This is a great book--simple and elegant, with enough message to make you think, but not so much that you feel preached to.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

In 2025 California, an eighteen-year-old African American woman, suffering from a hereditary trait that causes her to feel others' pain as well as her own, flees northward from her small community and its desperate savages.

183 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,864,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible