The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer

The Female Persuasion (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Meg Wolitzer

Member:GerrysBookshelf
Title:The Female Persuasion
Authors:Meg Wolitzer
Info:New York : Riverhead Books, 2018.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction

The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer (2018)

English (34)  German (2)  All languages (36)
I love Wolitzer’s observations, the way she describes people, relationships, and the stages of a life. I loved a book ostensibly about feminism where a young man portrays the truest feminist values. I was happy to stay with these characters for a long time and could have stayed longer! ( )
  JeanneBlasberg | Apr 30, 2019 |
Listened to about 2 hours of it on audio and quit because I just didn't care about the characters or the story. It was well written and well read, I'm just not the right reader for this book.
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
got about 30% through before i realized how much i just did not care about these people, specifically greer. ( )
  ireneattolia | Feb 8, 2019 |
Very well written fiction about both the feminist movement and the relationships involved. The characters are very human and engendered empathy. The difficulties involved are well presented. ( )
  suesbooks | Dec 26, 2018 |
Wolitzer continues to tell great stories written beautifully. These are people I know illustrating the true course of feminism but also living authentic lives filled with joy and tragedy and mundanity and lots and lots and lots of hard work.

The Female Persuasion felt, to me (a feminist from back in the dark ages) to be the most authentic fictional take on the nearly impossible task of defining feminism in current times, and in helping to illustrate how the feminism of the 60's 70's and 80's, the good the bad and the ugly, plug into what is happening today, and why it all matters. The book also takes on the complexities of female friendship and the complications of mixing our brand of friendship with competition. (Competition is woven into male friendship and no one thinks twice about it, but a woman who presses her advantage over another woman in the workplace is considered evil by women and men alike.) And Wolitzer goes a step further, and includes male feminists Most of us are lucky enough to count some make feminists among our circle of family, friends and colleagues, many of us have raised at least one, but they don't seem to show up much in books. Faith was sexy, not threatening, in the eyes of a secure male feminist, not just because of the killer boots and the good ass, but maybe more because of the intellectual and emotional challenge she presented. I don't want to include spoilers, but I will say I was also gratified rather than heartbroken by Cory's choices about family and duty.

These are big issues, and their treatment within this story was worthy and also entertaining and often very funny. Good stuff. ( )
  Narshkite | Nov 19, 2018 |

No one adulting
Along this education but I,
This second seeking.
(with thanks to haiku generator languageisavirus.com)

Greer Kadetsky is a shy college freshman when she meets the woman she hopes will change her life. Faith Frank, dazzlingly persuasive and elegant at sixty-three, has been a central pillar of the women's movement for decades, a figure who inspires others to influence the world. Upon hearing Faith speak for the first time, Greer- madly in love with her boyfriend, Cory, but still full of longing for an ambition that she can't quite place- feels her inner world light up. And then, astonishingly, Faith invites Greer to make something out of that sense of purpose, leading Greer down the most exciting path of her life as it winds toward and away from her meant-to-be love story with Cory and the future she'd always imagined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible