Closer Than You Know: A Novel by Brad Parks

Closer Than You Know: A Novel

by Brad Parks

524330,305 (4)7

It has been a while since I have read a Brad Parks novel. Yet, after reading this book I remember why I am a fan of this author's. It is because Mr. Park is a great writer that is all about the character development. No flat characters here. Instantly, I was drawn to both the characters and the story.

Melanie and Amy are too good female leads. They are both fighting for something important and this drives them to be stronger. Melanie was very determined. I am glad that she did not give up. Amy showed that she was not only strong but intelligent as well. Together they made a good force. Because I was so invested in these two women, the story was made stronger and I was more into it as a whole.

A very fast read. You have to check this book out. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 5, 2018 |
Disaster, Melanie Barrick was once told, is always closer than you know.

Until one Tuesday evening when she goes to pick up Alex from childcare only to discover he's been removed by Social Services. And no one will say why. It's a terrifying scenario for any parent, but doubly so for Melanie, who knows the unintended horrors of what everyone coldly calls "the system."

Another great mystery from one of my favorite authors. I have read all of Brad Parks' Carter Ross series and loved them all. Also have read his first standalone, Say Nothing. This is a standalone too and does not disappoint. His books are fast paced with interesting characters. Lots of twists and turns and hard to guess who did it. In the end, the culprit makes sense but a bit of a surprise. I look forward to his next book and I would recommend this novel to those who love psychological thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | May 22, 2018 |
As Parks delivered with his excellent Say Nothing, Closer Than You Know is another thriller that keeps you up at night reading at least one more chapter. Compelling characters within a wild story of drugs and mishaps, the reader will leave satisfied and exhilarated. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Apr 11, 2018 |
Closer Than You Know is the latest stand-alone from author Brad Parks. Last year's Say Nothing was the first time I'd read Parks and it was a book I couldn't put down. I was eager to read this latest - and I couldn't put it down either!

As he did in Say Nothing, Parks' premise preys upon a parent's worst fear - their child disappearing.

Melanie Barrick goes to pick up her infant son Alex from the childminder, only to be told that Social Services has taken the child. A large amount of cocaine has been found in Melanie's house. Police are on their way to find her - and Alex is gone. Melanie protests her innocence, but at every step of the way, the evidence against her grows - and her chances of ever seeing her son again lessen.

Great premise and Parks only builds the tension with every new plot development, ensuring that I stayed up much too late, reading 'just one more chapter.' Parks manipulates the reader with some red herrings, alternate paths and more than one 'whodunit' to choose from along the way to the final pages. There were a few plot points that I thought were perhaps a bit far-fetched, but I didn't think too hard about them - instead I just kept turning pages. And although my suspicions were proven out in the end, I really enjoyed the journey to the final reveal.

Closer Than You Know is told from more than one viewpoint. I was drawn to Melanie and her inner thoughts. I did find her a bit calm in situations that I would have been losing it. The background Parks has drawn for her addresses this. The next door neighbor Bobby Ray was also a character I quite liked. Amy, the Assistant DA was a character I initially had high hopes for, but as the story progressed, her tunnel vision frustrated me. But my hands down fave was Melanie's rumpled, unprepossessing lawyer Mr. Honeywell.

All in all, Closer Than You Know was a fast paced, entertaining read. Fans of Linwood Barclay and Harlan Coben will enjoy this one. (And this reader will be eagerly awaiting Parks' next book.) ( )
  Twink | Mar 12, 2018 |

Disaster, Melanie Barrick was once told, is always closer than you know. It was a lesson she learned the hard way growing up in the constant upheaval of foster care. But now that she's survived into adulthood--with a loving husband, a steady job, and a beautiful baby boy named Alex--she thought that turmoil was behind her. Until one Tuesday evening when she goes to pick up Alex from childcare only to discover he's been removed by Social Services. And no one will say why.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,553,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible