Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Burning Bright (original 2007; edition 2014)

by Tracy Chevalier (Author)

Member:rubicon528
Title:Burning Bright
Authors:Tracy Chevalier (Author)
Info:The Borough Press (2014), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction

Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier (2007)

English (73)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (79)
Really disappointed in this novel of circuses and wood shavings in 18th century Lambeth. It managed to educate me as to the ramifications of the French Revolution back in the UK, but I was really hoping for something more when it came to the interplay between the characters. Everything seemed so underplayed somehow, and there was little in the way of plot. To top things off the journey at the book’s end managed to combine mind numbing tedium with utter improbability. I put on my speed-reading hat. Not even the bare buttocks of William Blake could redeem this one. ( )
  jayne_charles | Dec 27, 2018 |
I have a love hate relationship w historical fiction.

I think i like mine w a firm twist of the speculative that was lacking here -

when I can't have that, I like it straight up - Morland Dynasty style - Harrod-eagles treatment of the same time period covered here was more to my taste.

This book reminded me a bit of the Dickens Faire - the research, the costumes, and scenery, even the music were well done but awareness of the whole affair being constructed as an entertainment precluded complete immersion for me .

*update after a weekend of indulgence in film*:

If you want your Blake postmodern, black and white, and set in the American West, then perhaps Johnny Depp in Dead Man will be more your speed?

nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Having loved Girl With a Pearl Earring, I was quite disappointed in this book. For one thing, William Blake was very much a supporting character and I learned very little about him and his work. Also, none of the characters were very endearing. A decent picture of a certain element of life in the late eighteenth century I suppose. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
I was disappointed to see so many bad reviews on this book, particularly when they all had the same complaint. (Even the positive reviews noted the problems.) I really enjoyed the abridged audio of this book, which was in 10, 15-minute segments. I can see what people were saying, though. It didn't really have much of a plot, but rather gave us some interesting glimpses into these people's lives from another time. The audio cherry picks the meat of the story (is that a mixed analogy?), so I didn't get dragged through a lot of descriptive fluff, and it was anything but boring. But it also leaves a lot of the story out. I didn't know what the family was doing in London when they obviously didn't fit in, and I would really feel let down if the characters weren't developed. I would want to be able to understand why certain things came to pass based on who these people were. Anyway, I'd thought I would put this on my "to read" list, but after reading many reviews it sounds like I wouldn't gain much from it. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
I was disappointed with this, my second book by Chevalier. William Blake was a relatively minor character as was Astley & I found the story about Maggie and the Kellaways not particularly interesting. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 26, 2017 |
For my parents
There was something humiliating about waiting in a cart on a busy London street with all your possessions stacked around you, on show to the curious public.

London i 1792. En familie flytter fra det landlige Dorset til London, hvor faderen får arbejde som møbelsnedker. Deres nabo er den berømte digter, maler og mystiker William Blake, og bekendtskabet med ham får afgørende indflydelse på den yngste søn og hans veninde

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 052594978X, Hardcover)

The wonderful new novel from the much loved author of 'Girl With a Pearl Earring' and 'Falling Angels'. Flames and funerals, circus feats and seduction, neighbours and nakedness: Tracy Chevalier's new novel 'Burning Bright' sparkles with drama. London 1792. The Kellaways move from familiar rural Dorset to the tumult of a cramped, unforgiving city. They are leaving behind a terrible loss, a blow that only a completely new life may soften. Against the backdrop of a city jittery over the increasingly bloody French Revolution, a surprising bond forms between Jem, the youngest Kellaway boy, and streetwise Londoner Maggie Butterfield. Their friendship takes a dramatic turn when they become entangled in the life of their neighbour, the printer, poet and radical, William Blake. He is a guiding spirit as Jem and Maggie navigate the unpredictable, exhilarating passage from innocence to experience. Their journey inspires one of Blake's most entrancing works. Georgian London is recreated as vividly in Burning Bright as 17th-century Delft was in Tracy Chevalier's bestselling masterpiece, Girl with a Pearl Earring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

Presents a sweeping and romantic tale set against the historical backdrop of William Blake's London.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,705,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible