Burning Bright: A Novel by Tracy Chevalier

Burning Bright: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:shesinplainview
Title:Burning Bright: A Novel
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Plume (2008), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Historical Fiction

Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier (2007)

English (69)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (74)
I was hoping this book would be more about William Blake than his neighbors. It makes me feel like after all her research, the author decided he was boring, but decided to move forward with this book anyway. Blake is very much a minor character and this book shouldn't have been called "Burning Bright." It should have been called, "Poorly Educated British Teenagers, a Circus, and Mrs. Blake's Ass." ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
Tight stories set in the rural poverty of Appalachia, capturing the voices, the despair, the apathy and the weak struggles to overcome. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I knjiga te muci, izludjuje..al na kraju te nagradi necim lijepim... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
This was not a page turner for me, but I did get to a point that I wanted to know what would happen to each of the characters as their relationships developed. Before reading this, I knew some of Blake's art and poetry. I liked that the book shared a more everyday view of his life, during the year in which the book is set. It is also a book about whose message I have been thinking. So it has made me travel beyond just its reading. I found that the messages that Blake did share with the children, ultimately wonderful lessons and advice for how they could understand themselves and their relationships. ( )
  Lylee | Feb 24, 2016 |
Very disappointing, i felt like it was a chore to finish the book. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
For my parents
There was something humiliating about waiting in a cart on a busy London street with all your possessions stacked around you, on show to the curious public.

London i 1792. En familie flytter fra det landlige Dorset til London, hvor faderen får arbejde som møbelsnedker. Deres nabo er den berømte digter, maler og mystiker William Blake, og bekendtskabet med ham får afgørende indflydelse på den yngste søn og hans veninde

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 052594978X, Hardcover)

The wonderful new novel from the much loved author of 'Girl With a Pearl Earring' and 'Falling Angels'. Flames and funerals, circus feats and seduction, neighbours and nakedness: Tracy Chevalier's new novel 'Burning Bright' sparkles with drama. London 1792. The Kellaways move from familiar rural Dorset to the tumult of a cramped, unforgiving city. They are leaving behind a terrible loss, a blow that only a completely new life may soften. Against the backdrop of a city jittery over the increasingly bloody French Revolution, a surprising bond forms between Jem, the youngest Kellaway boy, and streetwise Londoner Maggie Butterfield. Their friendship takes a dramatic turn when they become entangled in the life of their neighbour, the printer, poet and radical, William Blake. He is a guiding spirit as Jem and Maggie navigate the unpredictable, exhilarating passage from innocence to experience. Their journey inspires one of Blake's most entrancing works. Georgian London is recreated as vividly in Burning Bright as 17th-century Delft was in Tracy Chevalier's bestselling masterpiece, Girl with a Pearl Earring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

Presents a sweeping and romantic tale set against the historical backdrop of William Blake's London.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,421,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible